i wanna make...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ive made a couple..Mark 1 failed because i didnt make the part that you clamp the wood using your foot strong enough and also it was just a general bodge job!
Mark 2 is still awaiting assembly..
My advice would be not to make something too complicated,the best one ive seen in a book was by Mike Abbot i believe, made entirely from cleft wood.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
This is mine and Ive used it to many years now :)
Its all made form found parts except the bolts :)

P5070011.jpg

Cheers Russ

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
you dont need to use cleft wood, in fact you can make a shave horse from anything, pallets, shuttering ply, recycled wall studs and joists etc. There are certain people in the "green wood supplies industry" :rolleyes:attempting to take lots of good monney for what is essentially a simple and traditionally self made device....there are as many horse forms as there are green woodworkers.
Think of it as a huge pair of pincers, with one side fixed and the other side shut with your feet. My advice would be to do a google picture search of shave horse, get a few ideas. You need to bear in mind your body size. Do you want the thing to be portable/collapsible to go in a car or is it a permanent fixture at home? I would make a few mock ups from any old scrap to get the proprtions right for you.....I personally would recomend the english style (with 2 arms and a crossbar, not the american dumbhead style with just one arm.) ideally go for one with 3 legs (more stable on uneven ground than 4 legs) and splay the leggs at an angle too, this adds to the stability.
There are some assorted shave horses on this thread on the bodgers green woodwork forum
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=813&hilit=shave+horse

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Yeah shave horses are dead easy - its quite a bit of work to do it from cleft wood but very satisfying. They also seem to be more resliliant to being left outside than other sawn timber (although mine is looking rickity now).

If the plans above dont take your fancy just 'google' shave horse, i would ignore the dummy head or american ones at the mo and stick to the bodgers/UK one.

The only thing that is very helpful to make one is another one...asuming you dont have the luxury of having rounders for the joints, also a long 3/4 - 1" drill to reach through the seat would be usefull.
there are so many plans onlne you should fine something no problem - and they are suprisingly pleasent to use and usefull!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE