I have bloomin tooth ache

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
On a serious note guys.............I have bloomin tooth ache :(

Have done for a fair while now but the pain has been turned up over the last week or so. Jamie is volunteering to help out remove it with his fist but not really into that option as you can imagine so my question is; what can I use from the wild to relieve the pain, we are in Dorset and we are on chalk if that helps.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Try oil of clove to soothe the pain until you can get to the dentist, But don’t use it full strength, It’s so strong that it can damage your tooth’s nerve.

Or if you're feeling brave apparently...
To relieve a throbbing toothache that develops suddenly, try a 30X dose of Belladonna every 30 to 60 minutes until the pain begins to diminish, says Richard D. Fischer, D.D.S., president of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology and a dentist and homeopath in Annandale, Virginia. If cold weather or foods worsen your tooth pain and warmth and light pressure on the jaw make it feel better, he suggests a 30X dose of Magnesia phosphorica every 30 to 60 minutes as needed.
Belladonna and Magnesia phosphorica are available in many health food stores. To purchase the remedies by mail, refer to the resource list on page 637.

Or...
For quick relief of a toothache, try a charcoal compress, says Agatha Thrash, M.D., a medical pathologist and co-founder and co-director of Uchee Pines Institute, a natural healing center in Seale, Alabama. Mix a heaping tablespoonful of activated charcoal powder (which is sold in most health food stores and some pharmacies) with enough water to make a paste, apply it to a strip of gauze and bite down on the gauze “so that the paste squishes around your aching tooth,” says Dr. Thrash. “Your tooth should feel better in ten minutes.”

Or..
Imagery
Recall a time when you swam in ice-cold water or played in the snow. Imagine the sensations of that moment. Feel the chill of the water or snow penetrate your hands and feet so that they become almost numb. Now imagine that feeling of numbness surrounding your tooth, soothing it as if you were rubbing it with snow until all of the pain is gone, says Deena Margetis, a certified clinical hypnotherapist specializing in dental care in Annandale, Virginia. This imagery should last no longer than five minutes and can be repeated as often as needed, she adds.

Or finally..
One way to soothe the pain of a toothache is to increase your intake of calcium and magnesium, says Richard D. Fischer, D.D.S., president of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology and a dentist and homeopath in Annandale, Virginia. He recommends taking 500 milligrams of calcium and 200 to 300 milligrams of magnesium at the first sign of a toothache: “It’s soothing to the nerves of your teeth.”

Hope one of these works. Tootache is a bugger :(

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Not quite the wild but chewing on a clove can help.

Seriously though, it sounds like you have an abcess. Go to a dentist for some antibiotics and treatment.

I have tried to do it the hard way in the past and the pain can build to the point where you are willing to pull your own teeth with pliers.

It's not worth it, GO TO A DENTIST............

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
There's meant to be a pressure point in the centre of where your fingernail starts on your index fingers. Applying rhythmic, firm pressure may help if nothing else is available. As everyone else has pointed out, cloves or clove oil is the standard natural toothache pain reliever, but seeing a dentist is a priority before it gets too infected.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Since the collapse of NHS dentistry, I see loads of patients with toothache - as a GP I am free and accessible, whereas dentists are expensive and it's often difficult to find one.

We get no training in dentistry during the medical course.

I'm told by dental colleagues that anti-inflammatory painkillers (over -the-counter, this means ibuprofen - avoid if you have asthma/stomach ulcers) are preferred, plus antibiotics for abscesses. Chlorhexidine mouthwash (available OTC) is useful for gingivitis.

I see a lot of patients (especially those on low incomes) with truly horrendous dental health. Toothache needs professional attention and I can only echo the advice to see a dentist.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
It is like this guys.

The last time I went to the Docs was when I was in my teens. I have never taken antibiotics and never will. Never been one to take painkillers either even when I bust my foot I worked on it a for a day before I went to have it sorted out.

I am waiting for an appointment from the dentist so he call pull it.....just need something that I can grab out of the hedge to see me through.

........would whisky help?

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Jack

Don't try to griz it out get to the dentist :(

I had a tooth problem and left it and left it and it ended up costing more then if I had gone in the first place :(

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Jack

Typical, post a reply and you beat me to it :p

As you do not take drugs, if the whisky does'nt work at least it could be fun trying :eek:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Aspirin is a salicylate, and salicylates occur naturally in willow bark and meadowsweet, IIRC. The disadvantages/side effects will still be there whether it comes from a factory or plant of course. A lot of folk think that herbal treatments are safer than pharmaceutical drugs - in fact herbal treatments can and do have side effects and can be dangerous.

I'm not a herbalist and I've no idea about doses/preparation.

Hope you succeed in finding a dentist! :)

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Doc said:
I'm told by dental colleagues that anti-inflammatory painkillers (over -the-counter, this means ibuprofen - avoid if you have asthma/stomach ulcers) are preferred, plus antibiotics for abscesses.

By curious coincidence, that's exactly the mix my dentist has me on. 400mg ibuprofen and amoxycillin.

I feel your pain.

Well actually, I feel mine... Get to a ruddy dentist, Jack!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
guys.............I am going to a dentist but I am waiting to to hear back for an appointment.

I am trying to be a real man about this.............but failing, badly :eek:

leon-1

Jack, get it sorted properly, I put one off, beleive me I regretted it. It turned out to be an absyss and after a lot of dental work (I can't get national health in my area, they have all gone private) it cost me in the region of £2,500.

Toothache is normally caused by inflamation according to the dentist, the inflammation affects the nerve, as a result you end up with continuous pain (I feel sorry for you mate).

He basically said that the only relief that you get from pain in your teeth is to use NSAID's, of which aspirin has an anti inflammatory effect and the ibuprofen family will work (this includes Nurofen).

I can appreciate what you are saying about not wanting to take drugs (I avoid them where possible), but with this mate you may not have a choice. I wish you well and hope it is sorted soon, Leon:)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jack, do you really want to lose that tooth? If at all possible, I'd try to save it. Worst case scenario is usually a root canal. Well worth it in my opinion. I went through this some years back and the pain was real debilitating. Basically a monster migraine. Not much helped to relieve it except good drugs.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
an absess can be life threatening: go to a dentist, even if you have to pay for it, many will do a "payment plan" at 0% interest rate

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Did ask the dentist if he would be interested in some kit.....thought that was a fair exchange.

And I have just spoken to one of our customers and he pulled one of his wisdoms out with a pair of pliers :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE