hunting with a bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
so how come its legal to snare, trap, splatter with a catapault, shoot with an air rifle, shotgun or rimfire and even with regards rabbits... hunt with dogs

but its illegal to use skill, cunning and field craft to get lunch with a bow?

it dont make sense, especially as our french cousins who also reside in this federal state of europe and its so say equitable laws, can hunt all sorts of lovely tasting game with any sort of bow they like

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i was preparing an answer in my head but now that i come to think about it i haven't a clue.

sorry i can't help - but i am intrigued.

is it legal to hunt with a bow in Scotland? i know some laws are a bit different up here.

andy

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would guess that in this Island it has something to do with the fact that the bow is considered as atavistic and savage therefore crueller than the bullet.

I would guess that is actually so if you can't achieve a clean kill, but how many foxes achieve a clean kill?

No don't go there ........

I have practised a little target archery that is all but left the club as I got severly ****** off with the competition ethic and the coaches criticism, I merely wanted to shoot as excercise and to shoot in a manner that gelled with my body not with bloody technique, the Englishman's zen if there is such a thing, to pick up a bow, knock an arrow and loose it all in one movement not even thinking about aim.

I had to laugh the other day watching the tatoo hunter on TV, he managed to break the chiefs favourite bow out in the Amazon, well primitive archery and construction techniques are not all they are cracked up to be.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
seems the answer is based on the "opinion" of the twits in whitehall again, not fact or research, but opinion

http://www.britishbowhunters.co.uk/index.html

i thought parliament was there to serve the needs of the population not control the population :/

been reading about hunting in france, some good trips over there, only trouble with that is "if" you do take down a wild boar or deer, you cant bring it back with you (food importation laws) so unless you are there for a long time, you only get to make use of a little of what you kill.

Using a bow and arrows is legal in the UK as long as your aiming for a target as it an archery target, no that being said, is it your fault if a silly little bunny decided to jump really high just at the same time you let loose the arrow, and the said arrow hit the bunny not the target,..............................

nuff said....

oh and in England, there is a certain town/city where it still legal to kill a welshman with a bow and arrow on a Sunday.

sorry cant remember the exact details, but it went back to some law that was passed a few hundred years ago and never got scrapped.

If any knows the true story of more info on it please post it for us all.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Yeah... Chester was the town.

There was also something about being within the 'walled city of York' and shooting Scotch people with a longbow too, not sure if they repealed that one or not. Common sense should have dictated that they didn't :D

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
oh and in England, there is a certain town/city where it still legal to kill a welshman with a bow and arrow on a Sunday.

sorry cant remember the exact details, but it went back to some law that was passed a few hundred years ago and never got scrapped.

I think that might be chester, if it isn't its a town somewhere round about there with a wall round the old town.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
although i only believe in hunting and killing if you eat what you bag

im not sure the welsh nor the scots taste that good ;)

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I also believe that bow hunting should be legalised in the Uk. This then raises several issues:

Does everyone who owns a bow in the UK have the skill to "humanely" kill an animal?

The answer is simple. Of course not. We could however see the introduction of bow licenses e.t.c. Many believe that this will ruin competition archers. The laws could only apply to people with intent to hunt with their bow or certain types of bow - ie compound.

There has to be a solution to this, other than just having it banned - which is obviously the easy option that whitehall has taken.

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset

Also in the Purbecks(south dorset) you are legal to walk and carry a long bow and arrows in public same thing old law never scrapped but im sure the armed response unit would be giving it the big potatos i fyou did..

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
I also believe that bow hunting should be legalised in the Uk. This then raises several issues:

Does everyone who owns a bow in the UK have the skill to "humanely" kill an animal?

The answer is simple. Of course not. We could however see the introduction of bow licenses e.t.c. Many believe that this will ruin competition archers. The laws could only apply to people with intent to hunt with their bow or certain types of bow - ie compound.

There has to be a solution to this, other than just having it banned - which is obviously the easy option that whitehall has taken.

same as having the deer stalker ticket that you need for shooting deer with a rim fire im not sure if that is full on law yet but that would work... maybe the goverment are just scared of the thought of a few hundren thousend people in the uk armed with bows just in case us brits turn around and say no to some new load of ******** they bring in :rolleyes:

My understanding ( limited ) is that the rules against bow hunting are norman in origin - from the time when a bow was the only projectile hunting weapon.
Whereas the law permitting deer hunting give examples of permissible caliber and choices of bullet construction. A bow and arrow isn't included in the permissible list and is therefore not permitted by default. The two pieces of legislation have nothing to do with each other - the latter just supersedes the former.

But (as proven many times before) i could have got this one A about T so if anyone has sufficient legal expertise i'd love the hear their take.
Cheers
SBW

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Here you can hunt with bow,but not with crossbow,certain species,as long as you have hunting/cutting tip screwed in,and your bow is 40lbs or higher.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
IMO if we legalised bow hunting there should definitely be a permit or something that an individual can gain to prove he's actually doing what he says he is. Otherwise we could get a lot of nasty accidents with bows and when asked why they were carrying these "primitive weapons" said individual could simply reply I am carrying it for hunting purposes :rolleyes: Now I know that the bow isn't going to replace a knife or gun in the Chavs aresenal, just thought that it was worth a think, I could see some idiot using the bow for the wrong thing. So on private land, with permission from the landowner and a written consent form saying the person is allowed to be there; that he can then show authorities should they ever show up (probably better than getting a permit as this would just result in another way for the government to charge us ridiculous rates for something simple) Sorry I'm rambling now, ill stop, rant over :goodnight:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
same as having the deer stalker ticket that you need for shooting deer with a rim fire im not sure if that is full on law yet but that would work...

I doubt it, since it is not legal to hunt deer with a rimfire :rolleyes:

A rimfire is a .22 or .17 calibre these days (although other calibres existed historically).

There is no "ticket" required to hunt deer - other than the right land and the right type of rifle (which isn't a rimfire)

Red

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
same as having the deer stalker ticket that you need for shooting deer with a rim fire im not sure if that is full on law yet but that would work... maybe the goverment are just scared of the thought of a few hundren thousend people in the uk armed with bows just in case us brits turn around and say no to some new load of ******** they bring in :rolleyes:

In England and Wales, all deer must be shot with a minimum calibre of .240 inches and a minimum muzzle energy of 1700 foot pounds. ... so if you can find a rimfire that meets that spec, you're right.

This is a pointless thread really; bow hunting is illegal and will no doubt remain so, whatever we think.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In England and Wales, all deer must be shot with a minimum calibre of .240 inches and a minimum muzzle energy of 1700 foot pounds. ... so if you can find a rimfire that meets that spec, you're right.

For Roe or larger.

For Muntjac or CWD its at least .220 calibre, producing a muzzle energy of at least 1000ft/lbs in England and Wales (Regulatory Reform (Deer) (England and Wales) Order 2007)

This is a pointless thread really; bow hunting is illegal and will no doubt remain so, whatever we think

Agreed. And its been done before repeatedly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE