Hunting knife used as bushcraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
........My favorite knife EVER !, was a "Taylors eye witness" 12" steak knife.....

I'm not sure we're both using the same terminology here. Over here a "steak knife" has a small blade (about 4 inch) and is used to eat a steak rather than prep it and they're usually sold in matching sets of from 4 to 8 for the table:

Hence my usual comments about the common bushcraft knife looking and feeling like a steak knife.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
*hauls more fuel for the fire*

Now! kitchen knives in the field are a different matter! lol

(As an example of the use and evolution of this look at the early days of the new world. Many adventurers took kitchen knives (think 'trade' knives) out with them to hunt and explore the wilds. Something that worked well enough for those boys who really were faced with survival situations aswell as having to live in the rough to earn a keep from furrs.

Soonish came designs like the famous bowie knife that took these men from just grabbing a big knife off the butchers' rack to actually having input into what they wanted. Albeit the bowie serves as a rather infamous weapon! lol but it would also serve well as that improvised tool for most stuff big or small, but mostly big. And as The early days of America were BIG it's fair to say they probably had a good tool for their needs.)

I've heard several stories of guys taking kitchen knives out with them, to try and reinact the trade style feeling? I don't know, but apparantly some work well. The one I'm refering to is the Old Hickory brand and specifically the butcher blade. Very simular in appearence to a 'trade' knife and made of very simple materials and in a very simple design too.

I even got one for myself! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113797&highlight= :D

I like to back my in your face opinion with atleast a little experience so I had intentions of 'trade-i-fying'? this one up a little, and giving it a run down in the muck, just I like I have with my many other knives. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Samon what's your budget? If you're dissatisfied with the Buck, you might try the Puma General lockblade. It ain't cheap though (one of the advantages of the Buck)

www.pumaknifecompanyusa.com/General-P179.aspx

Looks nice, but for over 100 bucks I'd rather decent steel.. lol

Now I have a rather somewhat engrained dislike for lock knives. But! the Cold steel mackinac will be the one I would buy should I look for one. It offers that hunter style, but with solid well made quality (and hilarious advertising). http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/mackinac-hunter.html

For the £70 though.. I'd rather a bag of opinels!

And to be honest, I have such little need for a hunting knife, the last thing I skinned was a pile of rats.. and I did that with my spyderco ukpk lol!

OOOOH SHINY... *Add to Basket*

Why do I listen to you Samon it always costs me money :p

You know you need it. You will cleanse your soul with another purchase, trust me ;)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Take a look at what other native cultures can manage with very primitive tools before saying you can't manage with something far more forgiving...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Now I have a rather somewhat engrained dislike for lock knives. But! the Cold steel mackinac will be the one I would buy should I look for one. It offers that hunter style, but with solid well made quality (and hilarious advertising). http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/mackinac-hunter.html

For the £70 though.. I'd rather a bag of opinels!.....

Nice looking knives. But the price is still a bit steep in comparison to the Buck (under $33 on Amazon or about 26 pounds) I like Case too but TBH Buck's price keeps them more competitive.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Take a look at what other native cultures can manage with very primitive tools before saying you can't manage with something far more forgiving...

Many native cultures in South America manage with little more than a loincloth and a stone aged blowgun. Doesn't mean I could (or would want to) duplicate it.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

I don't for one second beleive I can't manage with something less 'tailored to my tastes'. I do however accept there are better options for me (an adult living in a wealthy nation with plenty to choose from!), and even though I'm far from well off or greedy for that matter, I can currently set aside a few quid for something a little closer to my wants. After all, if it were about needs I wouldn't need to buy another knife again as I have more than enough that are perfectly servicable. But as our hobby happens to sometimes include the odd toy, we do get that luxury of being a little picky.

And it's that pickyness that has lead to the facinating evolution of our tools and toys. Something I'm grateful for! :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Lol you shoot down mistletoe..? 'MERICA! :D......

It's 20 to 30 feet up. I'm not climbing that far for it and throwing a stick only brings down sprigs. A couple of shots from a 12 gauge loaded with #7 & 1/2 shot (at 60 cents each that's a total of $1.20) brings down the whole clump; enough to fill a sack and use in six or seven houses. Why wouldn't I shoot it?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't for one second beleive I can't manage with something less 'tailored to my tastes'. I do however accept there are better options for me (an adult living in a wealthy nation with plenty to choose from!), and even though I'm far from well off or greedy for that matter, I can currently set aside a few quid for something a little closer to my wants. After all, if it were about needs I wouldn't need to buy another knife again as I have more than enough that are perfectly servicable. But as our hobby happens to sometimes include the odd toy, we do get that luxury of being a little picky.

And it's that pickyness that has lead to the facinating evolution of our tools and toys. Something I'm grateful for! :)

And when we get down to it you're right. Bushcrafting itself is just a hobby that we really don't need to do. But I ain't quitting it.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice looking knives. But the price is still a bit steep in comparison to the Buck (under $33 on Amazon or about 26 pounds) I like Case too but TBH Buck's price keeps them more competitive.

Ah! but over here I paid £50 for the Buck 110. Ordering one from america directly isn't worth it. That $33 (£20 actually! ;) )will soon add up with all the robbery at customs, taxes and postage. It's an economical option for you guys not us. And the knife just is not worth more than $30 of anyones money, not since the quality has sunk so low.

The cs mac however is only £20 more for us and is infinately more superior. I'd love a play with one, but paying £70 for a knife i will barely use isn;t worth it. And that fact it's probably $50 for you guys just pee's me off big time. Lol

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....The cs mac however is only £20 more for us and is infinately more superior. I'd love a play with one, but paying £70 for a knife i will barely use isn;t worth it. And that fact it's probably $50 for you guys just pee's me off big time. Lol

Just looked it up on Amazon and it's $46,18 with free shipping over here :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
...£28. :rolleyes:

Lol, good job my best friend is an american! gotta wire that boy some cash so he can send some my way.. gah.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
*hauls more fuel for the fire*

Now! kitchen knives in the field are a different matter! lol

(As an example of the use and evolution of this look at the early days of the new world. Many adventurers took kitchen knives (think 'trade' knives) out with them to hunt and explore the wilds. Something that worked well enough for those boys who really were faced with survival situations aswell as having to live in the rough to earn a keep from furrs.

Soonish came designs like the famous bowie knife that took these men from just grabbing a big knife off the butchers' rack to actually having input into what they wanted. Albeit the bowie serves as a rather infamous weapon! lol but it would also serve well as that improvised tool for most stuff big or small, but mostly big. And as The early days of America were BIG it's fair to say they probably had a good tool for their needs.)

I've heard several stories of guys taking kitchen knives out with them, to try and reinact the trade style feeling? I don't know, but apparantly some work well. The one I'm refering to is the Old Hickory brand and specifically the butcher blade. Very simular in appearence to a 'trade' knife and made of very simple materials and in a very simple design too.

I even got one for myself! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113797&highlight= :D

I like to back my in your face opinion with atleast a little experience so I had intentions of 'trade-i-fying'? this one up a little, and giving it a run down in the muck, just I like I have with my many other knives. :)

Still can get John Nowil (est 1700) marked butcher and scalping knives.

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/Miscellaneous-Knives---Scrapers.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE