Hunting for Burl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
21st century pict, thus proving that the only time you won't get anything from a Scotsman is when he has nothing to give, kindly posted me the Rowan bur he found.

Took me a while to find a kuksa in there, but I think I have: IMG_0033.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I went for a walk the other day and spotted a large burr on a dead pine tree, so question is a pine burr nice or of any use ?

Traditionally in Finland a burl from pine is considered inferior to one from birch but the only reason for this might be that a pine burl retains some of its resin taste when carved to a kuksa.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Unfortunately after we chopped the tree down and got a closer look it was very bug eaten and sounded very hollow and more of a twisted trunk rather than a burr.
But there is plenty more out there and finding them is the fun part any way.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hey mrcainry
That looks not half bad, I hope you’ve got a good one in there. I got a burr off a dead birch in the woods last night, quite small but just about the right size for a baring block.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I love burl... The stuff I'm playing with at present just gets better and better the more you work into it.

ogfkp0.jpg

2ymhvv4.png

2dagahw.png

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I'v never seen it raw before. I'm discovering patterns and grains all the time as I chip away at my block. Sometimes I'll shave a bit off with the axe and think "that's BEAUTIFUL. But it ain't kuksa shape so it's got to go.."

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Found this small burl on some oak yesterday... And a Ganoderma applanatum which is a first find on oak for me. They normally prefer Beech?

330wt94.jpg

2qwkd5e.jpg

2u454yg.jpg

1zqv8yc.jpg

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I hear different things about that Poncho so I don't know. I've heard that if you can take the burr without any of the trunk it's ok (leaving an inch or so burr intact). I'd quite like to know the answer actually. I'm sure someone will know. I need to call an arborist tomorrow, so I'll ask him.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have the mother of burrs on a wheatley elm in a road near me, I must get a picture of it.
At my local park a few trees are marked for felling in a few months time.
I asked for a burr on a cherry tree and was told I could have it.
Fingers crossed.

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Hi
this thread seams to be an old thread but if anyone is still there i have a question I was wondering if anyone knew wether or not a burl from a peice of slightly rotton birch wood would be ok to carve a kuksa from as i have already cut it off it seams a bit soft though it might just be moisture.
Any help would be great thanks :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE