Hunting for Burl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Hi all, just wondered if anyone has any tips for finding burlwood? I know (from a pipe making book) that it's generally below ground, but I don't want to go digging around tree's whilly-nilly.

Like everything in the woods there must be signs to look for? Does anyone have any tips? Can you find burl on (as it where) a fallen tree, for example?

Photo's would be great :D

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I know (from a pipe making book) that it's generally below ground, but I don't want to go digging around tree's whilly-nilly.

Generally most birch burls I've found are actually above ground, not underground. Willows, however, usually have their burls at the roots. I have not found any usable method of identifying trees with root burls other than test digs and looking for ones with burls above ground (which are here very rare for other than birches).

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think the underground burr for pipe making is found on a large Mediterranean shrub of the heather family the White Heath Tree (Erica arborea)

Burrs (burl is American for the same thing) grow on various trees and whether they do it or not is down to genetics so in one wood all the oaks or maples or birches will be burry and in another wood they will all be clean. Best bet is find your local tree surgeon, parks department or anyone else who cuts trees and ask them to keep a few for you. Trees that commonly burr are elm and oak (but these are not good for carving being fibrous and wide open burrs) lime, alder, birch and field maple, all good for carving.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Best bet is find your local tree surgeon, parks department or anyone else who cuts trees and ask them to keep a few for you.

Excellent suggestion! I actually went to school with a guy who is now an arbourist. Not spoken to him for 15 years, but maybe Facebook will have a use after all.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Head for the birch trees, here’s one I’ve been watching for the last 20 years but the tree looks to be doing just fine, unfortunately for me.
. 6 inch scale.
the above picture does not do it justice. it must be around 10 inch deep to.
Guess which one I want .

Look what was right next to the burrs.
..Polyporus fomentarius "amadou" and Cramp Balls..
I can never resist a free strop and polish.
You don’t hardly even have to damage the Piptoporus betulinus Razor Strop.

Birch it’s got to be the bushcrafter's best friend
Arrows, Beer, Bowls, Bark for boats,Boxes, Oil, Tinder, Tar, Razor-strop's, Tinder Fungus, Cramp Balls, ect ect

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Try heading to some high ground or remote areas with river valleys or gullies "Can you find burr on a fallen tree," there are a couple of half dead birch trees in the woods here that are half fallen down with big Burr's on them. I might encourage them to come down, but on dead trees yes for sure.
What are you going to make and how big?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
The Kuksa Birch Burl Cup Very nice
I will have a look round that smaller tree you never know i wasn’t really looking hard I kind of assumed you were making a great big bowl, If I find something the size of a coconut ill give you a shout I’ve got a GB axe that needs a work out.
Later Bro.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
just had a look at Lancaster on Google earth but too hard to tell the forested areas from the satellite image.
But I could see the road out of Yorkshire. LOL.

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Had a really nice walk around the moors to see what I could see today. Nae birch (it seems to be almost exclusively beech and ash) and no burr still, found LOADS of blue/bilberry bushes off the beaten track. Still quite small yet though.

Can't carve out of blueberries, mind. :/

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
sorry Bro
any thing further south of sling shot range of Hadrian's wall is alien to me.
But I did find 2 good BURR'S on birch today, so I will get the saw out and post it on to you asap, hope you like it.
One was 3 or 4 feet across, but high up and not on a dead tree,I will post a image, but check it out man .

PS Lancaster is that near where they grow the bombers?

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Nice work! Shame about that big burr. Maybe in 50 years? I think it's cool you're not willing to take it before it's time. I wish more people thought like that.

As far as I know, I don't think they grow Lancasters there. Soil's too sandy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE