Hunting for Burl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Callum

Aug 21, 2010
Scotland
Hi 21st Century Pict

If the burr is on the same tree as the fomes and piptoporus brackets (from the first page of this thread) I wouldn't feel guilty about taking it.

The tree has come to the end of it's days.

Callum

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Hi,
It dosent sound hollow and I would post up some pics but i dont seem to be able or I dont have the privileges to post them :(
Thanks anyway
Alex.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
found a small bit the other day for some knife blades, it was oak and has some wonderful grain in it, ive got my eye on 2 large bits of ash burl, its dead on the tree ready for carving, or knife handles...;)

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Okay, not perhaps the best image, but I've been passing this fairly regularly for the last fifteen years or so. It must be about two feet across. I can't see myself getting my hands on it though. Very impressive to see anyway!

PB022839-1.jpg

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Callum.
If the tree is farley well gone anyway I would harvest anything and everything that of any use right down to fire wood, It would be a waste it or let it rot away.Get stuck in I say.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE