How many of you work in the countryside?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello

I was just wondering how many of you work in the outdoors - doesn't have to be all the time but say over 50% of the time?

Just curious as I'm out pretty much out all the time back home and am surprised by the number of people in the UK who work only indoors.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I'm an ecologist working in the uplands, it varies how much time i spend at a desk, this time of year its about 70/30 desk/outdoors. In spring/summer its about 20/80. The great thing is I can pick the nice days to do fieldwork and bad days to hide in the office!

The big problem with careers in the environment sector is the higher up the ladder you go you spend less time doing the stuff you enjoy outdoors.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The great thing is I can pick the nice days to do fieldwork and bad days to hide in the office!

The big problem with careers in the environment sector is the higher up the ladder you go you spend less time doing the stuff you enjoy outdoors.

I'm the same. I do try to avoid the depot environment by doing as much paperwork parked up in the pickup in a field, but your second paragraph is all too true unfortunately. I miss lighting the Emberlit with the lads and doing sausage sandwiches for everyone. Instead I'll be in a so called 'planning' meeting :rolleyes:. Not too often, but enough to see my working role change.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm outside pretty much all my working day, sometimes it's out in the country...more often than not a suburban garden. Between tree work and stump grinding I can pretty much do something regardless of the weather....today it was too windy to safely dismantle trees (although I did see a nutter up a fully extended three part ladder, against a fairly mature field maple badly pruning it on his own with a bow saw....terrifying to watch, simply terrifying and yet strangely compelling at the same time, I parked up and had a smoke while I watched for nearly 10 minutes :) ) and so I spent the day chucking a dosko stump grinder about :)

Anyway, yes....I work outdoors :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I work as a "Support Worker" on a Care Farm, as a Support Worker in a residential setting (both as relief), as an Outdoor Journalist with a Bushcraft and Survival column in one mag, Gear Reviews in another, do some Craft Work, demo flint and steel firelighting at an Iron Age hillfort, ... so somewhat more than half my work is outdoors all year round - and I never get bored!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I took early retirement last year(at 55)& I'm now a self employed gardener, so outside everyday & I'm loving it !

Rob

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I live and work in the countryside. Apart from a few brief periods or working indoors, I have always worked outdoors.
There are occasions when I think getting an indoor job would be a good idea, but i know from previous experience that it doesn't work for me.
Now I am full time self employed, those occasions are fewer, if the weather is that bad, I stay home.
Sometimes I think it would be nice to work in a large workshop, but I would only do that if it was my business, not for anyone else.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I went self employed, running an outdoor education centre, in April this year.

My time is split between running ropes activities, bushcraft activities & target sports...so mainly outdoors now & loving it.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I unfortunately have an office job, so spend my days looking at a range of computer screens. It is a job I enjoy doing though :) or I wouldn't do it. So my outdoor time is relegated to non-working hours and also has to fit round other demands of my time, so I really don't get out much - which is why I browse on here quite alot.

My job working indoors has it's advantages and disadvantages. I do feel abit soft these days though.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I manage a 10 acre woodland where my workshop is (in the middle of nowhere too), so during the winter I'm outside a lot. Even when I am inside my workshop I have walked through the woods and fields to get there and it is a far cry from an indoor environment! :D

Before I started making tools/knives for a living (11 years ago) I was a field archaeologist, so spent most of my time outdoors too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE