How can I polish a carbon steel blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rogelio L.

Jul 14, 2011
Spain
Hello guys,
I have been given advice on how to prevent a blade from staining or rusting. But once that has happened, how can you polish it? I have seen Ray Mears using the slur produced from a waterstone to do this, but unless you have this special stone to create slur with, it is difficult to produce enough. Besides I still haven't saved enough money to buy a waterstone so I'm on oil at the moment. Has anyone got a method by which they polish their blades?
I will be gratefull of any advice given. Thanks.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the easiest way to polish a blade is with a leather hone and some metal polish, something like autosol. depending on the anti-rust advice you've been given you'll most probably be removing your rust-proof coating no matter how you polish. just one question though, why do you want to polish the blade? if you're worrying about staining and rusting then you're obviously using the knife, in which case, you're going to quickly ruin any polish that you've put on there

stuart

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You can use Autosol, it makes very light work of polishing. Not so long ago I used it to recover a stainless spoon that fell in the fire unnoticed and was totally blackened. Came up like new. I had to do something, it was one from the wife's favourite set!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Toothpaste on some heavy cloth or leather might do the trick.

toothpaste works for a really high mirror finish, the kind of finish that's destroyed the first time you cut through anything more substantial than cobweb. don't get me wrong, there's nothing at all wrong with that kind of polish on a knife blade, we all like shiney shiney after all, it's just a little out of place on a working knife IMHO

stuart

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I use my stropping paste if I want to remove a stain from a carbon steel blade, or if you dont have that a bit of jiff( kitchen cleaning cream) will do the job as it is slightly abrasive. just put a bit of either on a rag and clean off yer stain

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I use my stropping paste if I want to remove a stain from a carbon steel blade, or if you dont have that a bit of jiff ...

Don't talk about Jif please, I don't have any just at the moment. One of my dogs ate a whole bottle while I was in France. He must have very clean insides. :yikes:

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Fine wire wool, 000 or 0000 grade with Autosol or Peek metal polish will get rid of deeper marking and being softer than the blade lets you get into the crannies with out unsightly markings against the grain of the original finish and if the polishing monster really persists a leather pad and more Peek (I find it finer than autosol) with the 'grain of the original finish will polish it up to a mirror finish, hope it helps:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Alternatively go the other way and patinate your blade by soaking in vinegar overnight and never have to worry about polishing it again.

Cutting-Crew-II.jpg

Rogelio L.

Jul 14, 2011
Spain
Thanks guys I think I'll try with the things I find (toothpaste, kithchen cleaning paste...) and see what happens. Wayland, jut out of interest, how did you get that pattern on your axe?

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I've been wondering about this as well, Rogelio. The pattern on Wayland's axe is from the steel, it's damascus steel. One of the many blacksmith's on the forum could tell you much more about it than I could.

outdoorpaddy

Rogelio L.

Jul 14, 2011
Spain
Sure, I have read about damasco steel before, just didnt think of it and thought you also had done it with the vinegar!
By the way I tried toothpaste and leather yesterday and it removed some of the dark stuff, but did not manage to get it shiny. But its fine though, I just wanted it to look a bit cleaner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE