Hot weather survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
During the days I’ve had curtains drawn and windows shut and it kept the house cooler.
In the evenings I’ve been sleeping out side as it’s cooler than inside .
Just put the basha over it for the rain we had yesterday & most likely tonight.
277D6D75-E3BB-459F-BDF3-EF3EC98EFDCD.jpeg

Attachments

• 471A58B5-711F-4FC4-AB85-90D46DB08F44.jpeg
    471A58B5-711F-4FC4-AB85-90D46DB08F44.jpeg
    806.3 KB · Views: 5

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not everybody is so fortunate as to have really good drinking water. Some of it is terrible. In that case, add something. I've used Hostess Instant lemon ice tea drink crystals. Fruit juices are good if you can afford them otherwise, eat fruit. Spend idle moments learning to tie a knot in a cherry stem with just your mouth. I'm out of practice.

Our snow-melt, ice-field mountain water tastes really good. Good enough to have a big supply beside the bed for sipping during the night.

I have only had a home in the mountains since 2000. Before that, seeing 47C in the kitchen at head height was no surprise.

Fans. To recirculate air even in a closed house will produce some wind chill cooling effect. Always run your fan(s) on the floor not head height. The coolest place in your house is on the floor.

Find shade. Make shade with trees and vines. Grapes, kiwi fruit, even runner beans and cucumbers. Might as well get some food in the bargain, if you can.

Reactions: Toddy

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Managed to keep the downstairs to below 22.5*C until yesterday afternoon when it got up to 23.7*C. Thick stone walls are slow to heat up but also slow to cool down… Upstairs was more like 27-28*C… That’s too hot for me, so I spent Monday night camping out on the lounge floor ”testing” my new inflatable pillow (very comfy!) and some other camping kit. :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Does anyone else lose their appetite when it’s too hot for them? Apart from yoghurt and the odd piece of fruit, I’m usually struggling in really warm weather.

A little... but I could still devour a whole cooked chicken and a nice loaf of olive bread with some salad... think my diet just changes from hot food to more med kinda food..

Down in Devon its been a lot cooler today... I actually got a little chilly before, but I'm tired so I don't think that helped.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Am I the only one still cooking? Yes a bit cooler, but in my house it is 28 degrees right now.

This is a picture of a candle wax that melted, without being lit, and not in direct sun light.
16583506080111913134240764260683.jpg16583506431301052730510851949348.jpg

As I am writing this, rain has started, yay so very glad

Edit: lasted 5 minutes, still very hot here :-(

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: wookii

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I did make a chili on Sunday... it was so damn hot (temperature wise) I burnt the roof of my mouth (blister an all)... but always make enough for the next day..

Wasn't really an issue on the hottest days, I eat a lot of food at whatever temperature it happens to be, hot/cold/luke warm, so didn't overheat from eating..

Actually need to cook another big batch in the slow cooker.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I had prepared by planning meals that were quick to cook (to avoid adding heat up the downstairs and to avoid having to do too much if feeling the heat) and nice to eat, but settled for half-portions and even that was a bit much.

Upside is I don't need to go shopping for a while yet! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Salads, lots of fruit, olives, cheese and nuts kind of things, but I baked this afternoon (gluten free quiche and cheese straws) and tbh I couldn't even feel that the oven was on. I don't think I'd have liked to be boiling anything though.
I've been using up the stash of microwave rice in bags as well as making couscous instead. Quick and simple and easy eating. None of us is very hungry, one bag does three of us just now. Usually either of the menfolks manage a bag to themselves.

Made crepes the other day and the heat while working at the girdle was awful. Not doing that again any time soon.
Crepes were good rolled up with just sweetened, lemon soured, cream though :)
How do Indian ladies manage making all their flatbreads everyday in the heat ?

Maybe we'll get used to the heat ? I can't see it. The good weather's lovely, just the heat could do with some cloud :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I never developed a taste for hot couscous.

Cook in 1/2 water, 1/2 lemon juice & salt, allow to cool and fluff up with a fork. While that is happening, fine dice at least 250ml red & green peppers, white, purple and yellow onions, radishes and sweet corn, cucumber, cooked yam, whatever you can find for bulk and for color.
Mix all that and be really generous with good olive oil, granulated garlic and some coarse black pepper. The oily will trap a lot of the food flavors and keep them in the salad.

OK fresh but best after a night's rest in the fridge.

Reactions: Macaroon

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Does anyone else lose their appetite when it’s too hot for them? Apart from yoghurt and the odd piece of fruit, I’m usually struggling in really warm weather.
Apparently the sun & heat don't have the same effect on the male of the species as on the female........

And for those who will 'think' it is just lefty propaganda, this is for you.....

Reactions: Toddy

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I never developed a taste for hot couscous.

Cook in 1/2 water, 1/2 lemon juice & salt, allow to cool and fluff up with a fork. While that is happening, fine dice at least 250ml red & green peppers, white, purple and yellow onions, radishes and sweet corn, cucumber, cooked yam, whatever you can find for bulk and for color.
Mix all that and be really generous with good olive oil, granulated garlic and some coarse black pepper. The oily will trap a lot of the food flavors and keep them in the salad.

OK fresh but best after a night's rest in the fridge.
That sounds like a variation of taboulé.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I grew up abroad and the heat as a child never bothered me... I could run around in it roasting merrily... as an adult who has lived in the UK for longer than not, now I struggle with the heat.. I need more time to acclimatise..
Equally though, since I packed up playing rugby I've become less tough with the cold.. I need to get back into things to move my comfort zones again!

As for food, unfortunately cheese and me don't mix, it's always a nightmare reading people's food lists and seeing cheese as a staple :(..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I grew up abroad and the heat as a child never bothered me... I could run around in it roasting merrily... as an adult who has lived in the UK for longer than not, now I struggle with the heat.. I need more time to acclimatise..
Equally though, since I packed up playing rugby I've become less tough with the cold.. I need to get back into things to move my comfort zones again!

As for food, unfortunately cheese and me don't mix, it's always a nightmare reading people's food lists and seeing cheese as a staple :(..

You have my sympathy.
I can't digest milk properly, or soft cheeses, I manage a little hard cheddar though.
I've tried most of the 'cheeze' vegan varieties, and the best of the bunch is the applewood smoked one I reckon. It's not cheese, but it's passable, and it's edible, so not dire, iimmc ?

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
You have my sympathy.
I can't digest milk properly, or soft cheeses, I manage a little hard cheddar though.
I've tried most of the 'cheeze' vegan varieties, and the best of the bunch is the applewood smoked one I reckon. It's not cheese, but it's passable, and it's edible, so not dire, iimmc ?

One of my issues as well is that I don't particularly enjoy the flavour either haha.. before I got v ill with food poisoning I could stomach dairy without much ill effect, but I was never keen on cheese, it grossed me out and I preferred a pizza without cheese etc...
Since the dreaded food poisoning, I've struggle a lot with dairy, I seem to be getting back a bit of a tolerance which is good. I think I just find it's a very good go to for a lot of people hiking...whereas I guess I have to stick with cured meats instead - which isn't bad in itself...

Actually I need to make some more beef jerky prior to my next escapade.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I love buckwheat taboule'. I can take off the screen window and reach out to pick fresh grape leaves for it.

Attachments

• McBgrapeE.jpg
    McBgrapeE.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: Broch

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have this water sprits for flowers. It gives out a very, very fine mist of water. Not a single drop of water, just a fine mist. Perfect for cooling oneself.
Another using that technique.
Was on a roof on Monday and Tuesday (Tues was 35 degrees in the shade and there wasnt shade where we were) and we used the plant sprayer on our t shirts. Gave us about five mins of relative cool before it dried out.
Drank loads of water then fruit juice when I got home.

I've had better days (I generally prefer it less than about 20 degrees) but we got on with it and managed.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well, I guess I get to practice what I preach. Later next week, maybe peak July 27/28, we are expected to get cooked in another "heat dome" like last summer. Not likely to hit 40C but if so, won't surprise me. Last summer was 47C.
I have a bunch of fans, water runs cold at 6C after 5 minutes. Downstairs is 5' underground, after long hot spells it might be 20C.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Well, I guess I get to practice what I preach. Later next week, maybe peak July 27/28, we are expected to get cooked in another "heat dome" like last summer. Not likely to hit 40C but if so, won't surprise me. Last summer was 47C.
I have a bunch of fans, water runs cold at 6C after 5 minutes. Downstairs is 5' underground, after long hot spells it might be 20C.
Stay safe!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE