Hot weather survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Usually passively listen to a load of music whilst typing away, but instead listening to 10hour rainstorm videos on YT. Pretty sure it's having at least some effect.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
indoors at home

extractor fans on to extract some of the heat

double layer curtains and windows close

electric fan plugged in

doors closed

outside temperature reported 29°C

inside temperature 26°C

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
indoors at home

extractor fans on to extract some of the heat

double layer curtains and windows close

electric fan plugged in

doors closed

outside temperature reported 29°C

inside temperature 26°C

I'd be wary of extractor fans taking air out, purely because it'll be replaced by external air, which will likely be warmer than inside..
Unless of course you have anything inside generating a lot of heat which need extracting.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Had a pleasantly cool ( compared to yesterday) morning, then a delightfull shower of rain, two thunderclap, and now we are back to mid 30's this afternoon.
It's much hotter in my suntrap garden, it's 39 in the shade!
I've put a few inches of cold water in the bath, and am regularly sitting on the edge of the bath and dunking my feet for 15 mins and its doing a grand job cooling me down.
Made two trays of solar dried blackcurrant and apple fruit leather since yesterday. No solar dryer, just covered with a rack from the grill, and wrapped in cheesecloth.
Successful experiment.. apart from I forgot to sweeten it. Bit sour, but still tasty.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Had a pleasantly cool ( compared to yesterday) morning, then a delightfull shower of rain, two thunderclap, and now we are back to mid 30's this afternoon.
It's much hotter in my suntrap garden, it's 39 in the shade!
I've put a few inches of cold water in the bath, and am regularly sitting on the edge of the bath and dunking my feet for 15 mins and its doing a grand job cooling me down.
Made two trays of solar dried blackcurrant and apple fruit leather since yesterday. No solar dryer, just covered with a rack from the grill, and wrapped in cheesecloth.
Successful experiment.. apart from I forgot to sweeten it. Bit sour, but still tasty.
27° in the house now. Supposed to go down quite a bit tonight and we might have some proper showers tomorrow afternoon.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
We had a bit of rain and a thunderstorm this morning. I think the rain only really made it humid.

But overall its been very hazy today, Reading 22 degrees now.. so nothing much to be bothered about down here.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It has been 39.4 degrees in my home, not a rain cloud in sight. Currently the temperature is 36.2 degrees in the house and we are melting

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds absolutely hellish. I hope it breaks soon and gives you some respite.
We've been just under 30˚C in the shade outside, heaven knows what it was in the full sunshine, and the house sat at around 24. It was pretty miserable tbh. I don't take the heat well.
I closed over all the blinds, they're white, at the front of the house which gets most of the sun, and drew the blackout curtains too. They're supposed to reflect heat outwards, but keep it in in Winter. It definitely helped keep those rooms cooler. I drew down the front door blind, again white, too, and that kept the whole stairwell cool.

I've been lucky and really haven't had to go anyplace during the worst of the heat. I was up at just before five and spent a couple of hours happily pottering around the garden before the sun got above the treetops and starting hitting me. Gave up and came in and had breakfast :)

Great drying weather though :) I've gotten beds stripped, quilts, pillows, etc., all washed and dried outside :) Curtains and heavy throws too. Next up is wash and waterproofing all the winter jackets and there are a couple of rucksacks that could do with it too.

HImself, who is happy in the heat, is suffering with blisters though. He never gets blisters, but his toes aren't happy just now. Kind of putting the kibosh on him walking as far as he'd like.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Fishermen have long since worn lady's tights to keep them warm in cold weather.
So when it's hot try switching to stockings and suspenders - it keeps you fresher and cool.
"
I'm a lumberjack
And I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees
I wear high heels
Suspendies' and a bra
I wish I'd been a girly
Just like my dear pa-pa!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Best advice is to listen to the news.
If it wasn't for their relentless 'don't forget to hydrate' I would have simply overlooked to drink.
I'm dreading winter. Once the snow and ice is down my instinct would be to go out in shorts and T shirt were it not for their wise 'don't forget to wrap up' advice.
Thank God there's someone out there looking out for us!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
True enough.
But to be honest, if they need to be told that then they are likely to forget anyway.
So it's still wasted advice.
On the plus side, it will improve the gene pool by taking the eejits out of it.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Wander
I often say it seems a lot harder to die these days.. obviously we're all at risk from natural causes, but from pure idiocy it seems a lot harder..
As a male I've done some stupid stuff, towards my late 20's I must admit though I was a lot better than before, at risk assessing the idiocy I was about to commit... I could play out exactly what would happen if it went wrong, which to my surprise, I have since learned is something not everyone is capable of doing... but just general idiotic behaviour that results in ones demise is often blockaded by someone with a clipboard and a yellow jacket... which I often think is a shame.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Doing stupid stuff without thinking is all part of being male and growing up.
For example, driving through a tight gap with barely an inch on either side, a normal person would think, 'I need to be more careful in future.'
But a male will think, 'I have a whole inch on either side to play with next time.'
Quite frankly, we have it damned hard. We are genetically programmed to do stupid stuff without thinking. It's not our fault.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE