Hot tent trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Had a couple of nights away last weekend to one of my favourite spots in a birch woodland. I try to make a pilgrimage to this spot at least once every winter as it seems so sooth the soul. Once the light fades it comes alive with the sounds of the forest . I never took an abundance of pictures as it was a sort of tech free weekend. It was by no means a lightweight afair but only being a hundred meters or so from the car I took a lot of comfort items.
After packing up on the Sunday morning I jumped a ditch with my rucksack on while carrying my firebox and put my back out. I’ve been on pain meds and deep heat all week and it’s still throbbing. Mrs huntersforge is not impressed to say the least.

Attachments

• CB097711-C227-4792-B8A2-B3E16A80FF30.jpeg
    CB097711-C227-4792-B8A2-B3E16A80FF30.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 54B5D612-5922-430C-A1D4-0B2DA39F3B67.jpeg
    54B5D612-5922-430C-A1D4-0B2DA39F3B67.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 941CCF74-1F14-4B9F-B683-4E5F3B1E5BB1.jpeg
    941CCF74-1F14-4B9F-B683-4E5F3B1E5BB1.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 855392CC-DD97-4B2B-B010-3DCFD4161177.jpeg
    855392CC-DD97-4B2B-B010-3DCFD4161177.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 38
  • F35DB920-9D6D-4879-A822-A06C2D04EB1F.jpeg
    F35DB920-9D6D-4879-A822-A06C2D04EB1F.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 38

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I'm awaiting my Onetigris Rock Fortress, which replaces my smaller Smokey hut, to do exactly the same (apart from the back injury)... Great pics, can't wait.

I also have a secret spot that replenishes the soul.

Reactions: huntersforge

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
How did it go? Happy with the purchase?
It went very well in the back garden test and since then it's had three trips this winter. It was d20240417_174813.JPGefinitely a good move for me to sell the smaller Iron Wall tent and get the larger Rock Fortress. The space for two is epic and the heat output of the stove still fills the larger space with ease. It's carried by canoe so size doesn't matter and my overall plan to have a tent option that allows me to access the outdoors over winter has been a winner.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
It went very well in the back garden test and since then it's had three trips this winter. It was dView attachment 87669efinitely a good move for me to sell the smaller Iron Wall tent and get the larger Rock Fortress. The space for two is epic and the heat output of the stove still fills the larger space with ease. It's carried by canoe so size doesn't matter and my overall plan to have a tent option that allows me to access the outdoors over winter has been a winner.
Amazing! Mine arrives tomorrow, looking forward to a trial run. What's the stove you're running?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
A titanium Woodswalker. Again, no complaints, just be gentle with the set up and it works a treat. I've been taking in split hardwood and it's burnt well. Cooking on it has been easy as long as you get the coals right.
20231201_170221.JPG

Reactions: Chris

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I spent a night out with the smokey hut I bought from dances with helicopters the night before last. I didn't take a stove, and should have taken a cot to sleep on. ! My poor back was not happy on the floor, despite the extremely comfortable treckology mat.
It was a real spur of the moment trip to a totaly deserted campsite on the moor, camped by the river, with a nice fire in a fireplace provided by the site, in the evening.
Being a dark skies reserve, and a clear night, the stars were amazing.
Rich came down in his camper, with mimi his dog, and had extreme comfort, but I managed to pitch on a bit of a slope, just where I put the bed, so spent half the night trying to stay on the mat!
I didn't take any photos, but he did and has promised to post them soon.
I need to get an inner for the smokey hut, as without a full groundsheet, and no stove, I suffered a lot of condensation, despite not totaly closing the door down for ventilation.
I think that ita a great duel season tent, though I can see why the bigger tents are becoming more popular. Plenty of room, but not enough to stand up in properly, which as you get older and creaky is important!
It was a beautiful night, and a great start to the camping season despite preferring a hammock for ease of set up and comfort.
I can recommend westermill Farm campsite if ever anyone is thinking of exmoor for a trip. though not a wild camp, it realy felt as if it was, as the site was completely deserted after the exodus of bank holiday campers. Very lucky.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I love having a site to myself.
I’ve reached the point when I could do with a little camp bed. I slept eight hours last night but I ached at the bends. I too want to stand up. I certainly didn’t need a stove in the tent. It was blazing hot.

Glad your tent is performing as expected

16d29c6b-9686-4a30-b99f-a8d9e80e09c8.jpeg

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love having a site to myself.
I’ve reached the point when I could do with a little camp bed. I slept eight hours last night but I ached at the bends. I too want to stand up. I certainly didn’t need a stove in the tent. It was blazing hot.

Glad your tent is performing as expected

View attachment 87705
Yes it was quite warm realy, but being next to the river, and in a valley meant it was a bit cooler at night than elsewhere, which meant the grass was covered in dew, even inside the tent, which, as I only had a groundsheet under my bed area, I suffered a lot of condensation. Had I bothered with a stove, I'm sure it would have been dryer.
Still, as a shakedown it gave me a good learning curve!
I've not tent camped for quite some years, prefering the hammock. If I do tent camp, I generaly use my bigger robens fairbanks, and make it luxurious, rather than just as basic as possible like this time.
It was good to go basic for once though, even if I wished I'd taken more kit and made life a bit more comfortable for myself.
It's good for the soul to rough it a bit.....even if it's not so good for the bones!!! :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bugger the soul. Do what’s best for the knees.
:D in that case..I want a camper van !!!
Hammocks are good for the knees, and back, no crawling around to stick in tent pegs, or get in the door, or up off the floor when you wake up. No condensation, or roasting in a nylon oven at 7am !

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
:D in that case..I want a camper van !!!
Hammocks are good for the knees, and back, no crawling around to stick in tent pegs, or get in the door, or up off the floor when you wake up. No condensation, or roasting in a nylon oven at 7am !
Only just back after stopping between Glastonbury and Pilton for a night on a farmers field surrounded by apple orchards. Your tent is hidden behind the van, but here are a few pics. Splendid warm night for me, diesel heater gently humming away, cassette toilet built in for the inevitable wee in the night.:tongue:

Really is a lovely place, a salve for my truly battered soul, thanks for sorting it.:thumbsup:

IMG_4272.jpegIMG_4277.jpegIMG_4268.jpegIMG_4269.jpegIMG_4258.jpegIMG_4281.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE