horse bow arrow spine help?

May 16, 2011
Perth
Hey guys not sure if the is the right section but i need a little help.

I just got a Chinese horse bow/long bow and it arrived today, problem is the arrows i got for it are the wrong spine. I cant seem to find a spine chart that includes horse bows. I use carbon arrows for my re-curve and I get on well with them so want to get the same shafts for my new bow.

I have read elsewhere that horse bows can shoot stiffer spined arrows. I'm a bit lost.

can anyone help?

Thanks, CS

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
What about the horse bow leads you to thinking it can use a stiffer arrow?

The draw weight and the offset of the rest are the important factors.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I shoot field archery with a few people using horse bows - they all use wooden arrows (which they tend to make themselves). I've bought spine matched wooden shafts from "the Longbow Shop" and "Richard Head's".

I don't think you should get too technical with a horse bow - don't look at it in the same light as a compound. They were designed to be used over fairly short distances and shot rapidly. If you are used to a all the bells and whistles of compound shooting then you could think of the horse bow as light relief from all that technology.

May 16, 2011
Perth
I have never shot a compound bow before, I have a take down 55lb recurve. I done a fair bit of shooting with the new bow today and I dont think I'm as far out on the spine as I thought. I think jumping up to a 480 spine might do the trick

I and tempted to try wooden arrows but i quite like my carbon shaft, they are lite and pretty solid.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If possible get a selection of arrows and see what works. Even better a selection of arrows without fletch.
Spine is affected by the arrow pass, draw weight and draw length, point weight. I can shoot arrows spined at 40 lb through a 60lb bow and they shoot better than the "proper" spine chart arrows. Plastic and carbon bows from a mould narrows the variables. Wooden bows have personality.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE