Hints and Experiences

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hey everyone.

i would like to thank you all for this very helpful advice as i am bushcraft Snow's 'partner in crime' if you will and have knew him from a young age.
I can relate to the advice you are all giving and would like to say that this website has very nice people in it who are willing to give a hand so well done.

i am also in the same situation and i have been getting help from my friends thread which he has just opened in the: 'out and about section' it is titled 'Hints and Experiences'

There is some very good tips there for when you go out to camp and some links etc.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
well you've done the first of the rules to bushcraft............Ask questions lol.

theres nothing worse than sitting there ot having a clue what everyones doing, trust me I know lol, no one will think less of you as we all had/have/still are learning, no matter what the level your at you'll still learn something new.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
DONT PANIC! stay calm and think things through, don't wander to far initially in case it all goes t--ts up, if you get wet, hungry or thirsty, go home, reflect and know next time you wont make the same mistakes, see the negative as a positive experience, as you have learnt a valuable lesson, which hopefully you wont make again( or in my case, to many times again!) plan your camp and practice setting it up, set up camp early enough to see what your doing in safety, at least at the start, once you are accomplished at camp set up you can leave it later! learn to pack in the order you need the items first and quickly. check out the minimal kit lists, there are numerous ones on here, and many hints on using the kit you pack, so i guess research is one of the first things you need to do, not just about the kit requirements but about where you are going, old saying, fail to plan, plan to fail.

Think SAFE,TIDY AND SAFE AGAIN, don't forget the first aid bag.

have fun and enjoy yourselves thats the main thing.

Adam

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
One of the better tips would be:

Hold off on buying any kit/gear until you really know what you want and need.

So beg/borrow and make do with what you have and can scrounge for a bit. Then see what works, and what other people have and use. This will give you a much better idea of what might be worth buying before you commit.

Plus, you do end up learning a lot by "making do". The knowledge of how to do something is much more valuable than the "tool" used to do it. Try not to rely upon gear and gizmo's. Learn the skills necessary.

Doing it that way will save you a lot of money, and you will learn more things - and more quickly.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
OK, I merged the hints and experience thread with the Tips for novices thread.

This kind of thing has been answered before, at length, in this thread too
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13580.

Before you can ask good question, to which you will get good answers, it helps to have an idea of what it is that you don't know. If you ask specific questions you get specific answers, also, people are more willing to give up their time to answer you if you appear to have put in some leg work BEFORE asking your question.

There are quite a few articles reviews and tutorials on the main site. Have a read around, use the search function (look for key words in thread titles). That should set you up to know a bit better what you don't yet know ;)

Another young person started not long ago, you could have a look at the threads that Lucyc has started, a lot of good advice there too.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27656

hey everyone i would like to ask if what i bought yesterday would be worth the money.
i bought: a militery basha or tarp.(very large)
a portable cooker (heximen) with fuel
some very thick rope (50ft)
parachord (2 sets =50ft)

this cost a grand total of around £30 which i think is very good considering the quality of the products i got. However you may think otherwise.

B

bushcraft Snow

hey everyone i would like to ask if what i bought yesterday would be worth the money.
i bought: a militery basha or tarp.(very large)
a portable cooker (heximen) with fuel
some very thick rope (50ft)
parachord (2 sets =50ft)

this cost a grand total of around £30 which i think is very good considering the quality of the products i got. However you may think otherwise.

we have used the equipment 2 times already and i think it was a very good buy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE