Hints and Experiences

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushcraft Snow

Just posting to ask everyone to write a little bit about there bushcraft exp and also give me any hints/tips to help me in the future as i am just starting bushcraft.

i am very keen on bushcraft and outdoors in general as i have been camping outside from when i was about 8 and now i am 15 i want to get in to the wild and camp, basiclly live there for a few nights.

i would really appreciate it if u could help me out with tips/hints and ur experiences etc.

Thanks A Lot:):):)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I find hints and tips threads very difficult as there are so many important things you should know. Basically, read as much on the subject as you can, watch films and programmes that will give you knowledge, meet with others and share experiences and techniques and try to glean as much information as you can. Every scrap of info will help you in the long term.

B

bushcraft Snow

thanks for the info and as you can see i only joined today so i am trying to read as many forums as possible..:)

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
After all basics are covered (shelter, food, water, safety, letting people know where you're going and when you'll be back) then I always allow myself some small luxury. It may be some hot chocolate or sweets or (sorry you're too young) a small drop of something nice. Nice to sit next to an open fire knowing you've got all the necessities covered sipping a hot chocky at the end of a day.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Just posting to ask everyone to write a little bit about there bushcraft exp and also give me any hints/tips to help me in the future as i am just starting bushcraft.

i am very keen on bushcraft and outdoors in general as i have been camping outside from when i was about 8 and now i am 15 i want to get in to the wild and camp, basiclly live there for a few nights.

i would really appreciate it if u could help me out with tips/hints and ur experiences etc.

Thanks A Lot:):):)
have a look in bushcraft chatter at 100 tips

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
In addition to what's been said get a decent dry-bag, a doubled up garden refuse sack, will do. IMHO it's worth getting a half-decent one, even if you just keep your sleeping bag and a spare set of socks in it.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck

61. Not all rights of way on OS maps exist any more they change if a landowner tells you there's no right of way don't argue find another way round.

I have had on several occasions landowners tell me I'm not allowed here or there, where I catagorically know they are wrong. Some just don't want visitors, if you know you are right, don't be afraid to stand up to them.

The info about tree branches is good though, I had a "widow maker" fall on me head last week. The bit that hit me was about 8" thick, and fell from a fair height. Hit me hard enough on the head from behind to knock me over for a couple of minutes and for me not to remember it.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
61. Not all rights of way on OS maps exist any more they change if a landowner tells you there's no right of way don't argue find another way round.

I have had on several occasions landowners tell me I'm not allowed here or there, where I catagorically know they are wrong. Some just don't want visitors, if you know you are right, don't be afraid to stand up to them.

Don't be off with them though. I have a friend in Wales who used to encourage people on to his land until some right to roam numpties broke down a section of hedge into a field full of prime beef cattle just because a map said it was 20 yards down from the gate and style that had always been there. After that he had no time for people.

Be polite and nice and if they argue the toss simply walk round and leave a good lasting impression.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
please dont take offence as i dont know you but when you get out there what you take with you BRING BACK Enjoy all your adventures and share them with us cheers SCRIVY

The info about tree branches is good though, I had a "widow maker" fall on me head last week. The bit that hit me was about 8" thick, and fell from a fair height. Hit me hard enough on the head from behind to knock me over for a couple of minutes and for me not to remember it.

Are you sure it wasn't an irate landowner wielding a log at you:yelrotflm :yelrotflm

Bodge

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Don't be off with them though. I have a friend in Wales who used to encourage people on to his land until some right to roam numpties broke down a section of hedge into a field full of prime beef cattle just because a map said it was 20 yards down from the gate and style that had always been there. After that he had no time for people.

Be polite and nice and if they argue the toss simply walk round and leave a good lasting impression.

Of course I wouldn't break fences/leave gates open, but I really don't care what anyone who attempts to deny me access to land I have a legal right to be on thinks of me.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I would advise you get properly inspired, read lots of travel books and wild books and autobiographies of great travellers. I find the more I go out and do stuff the more I both want to and will actually get off my *** and do.

B

bushcraft Snow

thanks for all the tips and the links to various other info on bushcraft
i think all the help use are giving me will help me at loch tay (the camping trip i will be goinh soon)and also other various times:):D:)

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Hints and tips. In no particular order:

"Get stuck in." You don't have to know how to do (whatever) perfectly. Good enough is, under almost all situations, quite good enough thank you. Doing is the only way to learn, and don't be afraid of learning things the hard way - much as anything else it does help you remember. Pull on some old boots and a coat, stuff an argos sleeping bag and a tent in a bag and get out and enjoy. It's the only way to find out what works for you and what doesn't, because everyone is different.

"Leave no trace." Leave it as you found it (or better), because it shows you care.

"Don't sweat the little things." Every single time you go out something will go wrong. You will forget your bug spray, or the bulb in your only torch will blow or the zip will bust in your coat or...you get the idea. Relax, enjoy and don't take every little setback to heart or you won't have any fun.

An a dozen more ideas that the good folks here will throw your way I am sure. As for usefull tricks/gizmos/whatsits I find the following things usefull:

Fill a thermos full of boiling water at the start of the day. It's good for making a cuppa, washing stuff, or whatever for the rest of the day.

Buy one of the tiny led torches and hang it round your neck. Keep it there. When you need a torch for a little job - finding the tent zip, making sure you havn't just stood on something expensive etc it is handy. This comes into it's own in the middle of the night when all the rest of your stuff is inside your boots/otherwise packed up for the night, but your torch is still around your neck.

Invest in 'fire in a box'. The little charcoal stick fired handwarmers. They do a rather good job of taking the evil edge off the cold & wet if you ask me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE