Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT & Suitable Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hi

I was looking at potentially purchasing this tent, and was wondering if other members had experience of it? I was also wondering whether this particular tent would fit into say a 45L rucksack e.g. Berghaus Centurio, or would it have to go into something larger eg. 80L +. I like the look the Hilleberg, and reviews, and was wanting something for short trips with the dog. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... wondering whether this particular tent would fit into say a 45L rucksack e.g. Berghaus Centurio, or would it have to go into something larger eg. 80L +.

Specs have it as 58 x 20cm packed (but I did find a site saying 50x 20). Whether it'll fit in/on a 45L will depend what else you plan on carrying ;) .

I like the look the Hilleberg, and reviews, and was wanting something for short trips with the dog...

A lot of bucks, and a lot of bang for them! Besides liking the look do you actually need such a high spec tent? Nothing wrong with going over spec, mind. Peace of mind if/when the weather turns is a valid purchase point :) . (And yes, light weight + robust comes at a premium ;) )

I'm guessing you've want the vestibule/porch for cooking and relaxing in of the eve? Have you come across tarptent ~ http://www.tarptent.com/cgi-bin/surfshop1/shop.cgi . No experience of, just another possible option ~ as is a Trail star with a mesh net :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the nalo 2 gt with foot print, just measured it packed at 45x25, (the 45 is the length of the folded poles, the tent itself would take up a bit less in length). It would fit in my predator 45 but would not leave room for much else, I have always carried it under the top flap across the pack

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Specs have it as 58 x 20cm packed (but I did find a site saying 50x 20). Whether it'll fit in/on a 45L will depend what else you plan on carrying ;) .

Yes agreed ;) I think will aim to carry enough for an overnighter/possibly 2 days....

A lot of bucks, and a lot of bang for them! Besides liking the look do you actually need such a high spec tent? Nothing wrong with going over spec, mind. Peace of mind if/when the weather turns is a valid purchase point :) . (And yes, light weight + robust comes at a premium ;) )

I think I was aiming for getting something that would last...and last ...and last... :) I appreciate you have to pay for this. However I have found over the years, that I have had to buy and then sell, and then buy again - crying all along the way....now I really try to only cry once, when I part with a "wedge" ;) and get the right gear for my needs. I do need a good porch area - good for the dog/cooking/storage. I will check the tarptent. Thanks again for your help.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I have the nalo 2 gt with foot print, just measured it packed at 45x25, (the 45 is the length of the folded poles, the tent itself would take up a bit less in length). It would fit in my predator 45 but would not leave room for much else, I have always carried it under the top flap across the pack

Thanks for the reply. I take it, it works well with this pack due to "floating" lid? Do you find you can get all in, including sleeping bag for an overnighter, or maybe 2 days?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think I was aiming for getting something that would last...and last ...and last... :)

Often the wise move :)

I have found over the years, that I have had to buy and then sell, and then buy again - crying all along the way....now I really try to only cry once,

Know that feeling :eek:

I do need a good porch area - good for the dog/cooking/storage.

Good to have a space to retreat to ~ wet dog in the sleeping space is less than ideal! :rofl:

For other light weight shelter options it might also be worth casting your eye over the trek-lite site too ~ good few on here are also on there ...
http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It fits under the lid just fine, the predator 45 is plenty big enough for what i need and i only change to the vulcan when using my winter sleeping bag. dont forget the centurio,predator and sabre can be increased in capacity with side pouches

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Robbie - I use the Nallo 2GT and am dead happy with it but I dont have a dog and so would only ever use this for quite a few days camping and its not that discreet for wild camping if that's what your considering. If you get the footprint too that only needs to be fitted once but the weight is a consideration/issue coming in at 3.7kgs. The vestibule is a significant size. I've not looked at other similar tents (possibly the Terra Nova Laser 2?) but would be cautious using this tent for single or even 2 night stays out it just seems a little overkill maybe?

Last edited:

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
It fits under the lid just fine, the predator 45 is plenty big enough for what i need and i only change to the vulcan when using my winter sleeping bag. dont forget the centurio,predator and sabre can be increased in capacity with side pouches

I think that Centurio with side pockets gets to around 75L, and is probably similar Predator. I did checked out Sabre 60-100 - I do like the padding on this - looks superb! I wonder how this stacks up against Berghaus Vulcan/Atlas.....

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Robbie - I use the Nallo 2GT and am dead happy with it but I dont have a dog and so would only ever use this for quite a few days camping and its not that discreet for wild camping if that's what your considering. If you get the footprint too that only needs to be fitted once but the weight is a consideration/issue coming in at 3.7kgs. The vestibule is a significant size. I've not looked at other similar tents (possibly the Terra Nova Laser 2?) but would be cautious using this tent for single or even 2 night stays out it just seems a little overkill maybe?

I was considering this for wild camping. I have been checking the specs and looking at size of it, and was thinking it is not hugely discreet. However, as I will have the pooch, then I dont think I can get away with something much smaller? Knowing what you know of the Nallo 2GT, and you were in my shoes (or boots should I say ;) would you still go Nallo 2GT, or something else in the Hilleberg lineup? Thanks.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
I was considering this for wild camping. I have been checking the specs and looking at size of it, and was thinking it is not hugely discreet. However, as I will have the pooch, then I dont think I can get away with something much smaller? Knowing what you know of the Nallo 2GT, and you were in my shoes (or boots should I say ;) would you still go Nallo 2GT, or something else in the Hilleberg lineup? Thanks.

Hhmm obviously its entirely your call matey and down to what individuals think reasonable whilst wild camping - (I'm no stealth camper by any stretch of the imagination I would hasten to add!) saying that, you might be laying up in woods etc in which case I don't s'pose it matters that much. Its a shame your the other side of this small island otherwise I would be more than happy to lend the tent for a night or 2 so you could get a feel for it.
I know in North Wales there's a more tolerable stance on wild camping compared to say Lake District. But equally knowing some of the local farmers in/around Bala area well ... lol. In terms of recommendations, I would have to pass on that as the tent I use (Terra Nova Competion 1) would be way too small.
You've posed an interesting dilema for me too, as we (family) are finally getting a dog in the coming weeks and I need to think about exactly the same situation.
Would be interested to see how you get on Robbie, keep us updated with your tent decision/route taken etc ;-)

All the best,
DF

waves

Mar 27, 2015
West Sussex, England
I've got the Nallo 2GT and it is an incredible tent. A lot of money but a great tent all the same. As the others have said it will fit in your pack, it fits in my 40 litre karrimor ok. I strap the poles outside. For yourself and your dog it would be an ideal size, and the green flysheet colour does a good job of blending in. It does have quite a big footprint to obviously incorporate the large vestibule but I think if you choose anything smaller you and your dog are just going to be uncomfortable.

Is it good for wild camping?? I think the fact you want space for your dog really says you need a tent of this size regardless. They do a 3 season version which is slightly lighter and unless you plan on camping through winter this might be a better choice as it will be cooler. I feel your pain though as it's a lot of money to spend if your not sure.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hhmm obviously its entirely your call matey and down to what individuals think reasonable whilst wild camping - (I'm no stealth camper by any stretch of the imagination I would hasten to add!) saying that, you might be laying up in woods etc in which case I don't s'pose it matters that much. Its a shame your the other side of this small island otherwise I would be more than happy to lend the tent for a night or 2 so you could get a feel for it.
I know in North Wales there's a more tolerable stance on wild camping compared to say Lake District. But equally knowing some of the local farmers in/around Bala area well ... lol. In terms of recommendations, I would have to pass on that as the tent I use (Terra Nova Competion 1) would be way too small.
You've posed an interesting dilema for me too, as we (family) are finally getting a dog in the coming weeks and I need to think about exactly the same situation.
Would be interested to see how you get on Robbie, keep us updated with your tent decision/route taken etc ;-)

All the best,
DF

Flipping location! ;) That would have been very good of you as would have given me an idea. I really do appreciate the offer. I have been considering other tents, but seem to be drifting back to the Nallo. I really think I have got to make an effort and see it in the flesh. I think this will allow me to work out whether it really will be a "goer". I do need to get my skates on though, as we are getting into Spring! Again thanks for the offer of a trial run. It really does mean a lot to me to think that a "total stranger" (in some respects as I like to think we are brothers in arms in this forum) is prepared to let another guy out with some expensive kit! Cheers man!

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I've got the Nallo 2GT and it is an incredible tent. A lot of money but a great tent all the same. As the others have said it will fit in your pack, it fits in my 40 litre karrimor ok. I strap the poles outside. For yourself and your dog it would be an ideal size, and the green flysheet colour does a good job of blending in. It does have quite a big footprint to obviously incorporate the large vestibule but I think if you choose anything smaller you and your dog are just going to be uncomfortable.

Is it good for wild camping?? I think the fact you want space for your dog really says you need a tent of this size regardless. They do a 3 season version which is slightly lighter and unless you plan on camping through winter this might be a better choice as it will be cooler. I feel your pain though as it's a lot of money to spend if your not sure.

You know how it is brother, checking info/specs etc and then revisiting sites/youtube/reviews to try and make sure that you get it right, as it is a serious wedge to part with. However, I think that it would be a worthwhile investment. I have thought of smaller tents in the lineup.....can I get away with an Akto - very low weight, etc etc. However I think I might be kidding myself, trying to get myself and the pooch comfortable? Do you think I could be right here? Thanks for your input to try and alleviate some pain....arrrggghhhh.... ;)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
RobbieD where are you? Just noticed that you are in East Anglia, if you are able to get to Ipswich you are welcome to have a look over mine.

waves

Mar 27, 2015
West Sussex, England
The Nallo 2GT is a roomy and cofortable tent, I decided on this one (I also wanted a smaller & lighter pack size) as I wanted to keep it long term and thought this would be the most versatile solution. The vestibule is big enough to get in and out of wet clothes, cook, store my pack and even my surfboard or a mountain bike. If I go with my girlfriend there is plenty of space for us and our stuff. For me keeping the sleeping area of the tent dry was one of the main factors in deciding on the Nallo 2GT. When it's raining out the space is very welcome. I've not seen an Akto in the flesh but it would fit the wild camping side of your brief much better, I think you need to consider how you will get on with it when it's hammering it down with rain, you and your pooch are soaked and your hungry and in the middle of nowhere. I don't know how big your pooch is but the vestibule in the Akto looks big enough for a small dog.

Someone metioned that the Nallo may be over kill for piching each night, I have also have the footprint which I leave in and I also leave the inner tent hung in the flysheet, it takes no time at all to put up and having it all attached means that if its raining the only thing that gets wet is the flysheet.

I don't know where you are in East Anglia but there are a few stores that sell Hillebergs, check here http://hilleberg.se/resellers I would call them first to make sure they have both in stock and go and see them.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
The Nallo 2GT is a roomy and cofortable tent, I decided on this one (I also wanted a smaller & lighter pack size) as I wanted to keep it long term and thought this would be the most versatile solution. The vestibule is big enough to get in and out of wet clothes, cook, store my pack and even my surfboard or a mountain bike. If I go with my girlfriend there is plenty of space for us and our stuff. For me keeping the sleeping area of the tent dry was one of the main factors in deciding on the Nallo 2GT. When it's raining out the space is very welcome. I've not seen an Akto in the flesh but it would fit the wild camping side of your brief much better, I think you need to consider how you will get on with it when it's hammering it down with rain, you and your pooch are soaked and your hungry and in the middle of nowhere. I don't know how big your pooch is but the vestibule in the Akto looks big enough for a small dog.

Someone metioned that the Nallo may be over kill for piching each night, I have also have the footprint which I leave in and I also leave the inner tent hung in the flysheet, it takes no time at all to put up and having it all attached means that if its raining the only thing that gets wet is the flysheet.

I don't know where you are in East Anglia but there are a few stores that sell Hillebergs, check here http://hilleberg.se/resellers I would call them first to make sure they have both in stock and go and see them.

Thanks for the input, and information. I think I will now go and check one out. I think you have certainly hit on an important point of when it is raining - and having enough space to get out of wet clothes, and dry down a wet dog. Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE