Hilleberg Akto & Taking The Pooch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Very envious of Ivanhoe's remote lake.

Just back from Scottish Highlands - inland from Ullapool. Akto out in freezing overnight conditions. Worked fine with 3 season down bag and the usual trimmings. Don't think a dog would have improved the situation in a damp tent, however, so alternative model probably a good idea. Have you looked at a Macpac Minaret? I've used one for years with no problems - Akto for solo or non-sharing trips, Minaret for shared trips = success for me. Did like MSR offerings when living in Canada, but not up to date with models so can't comment. I prefer to bivvy when I can use a fire or am not going into the high hills. There's always space for friends and pooches under a 3x3 tarp. Now I've managed to make my own canvas one, we can be heated with a fire and not lose waterproofing or material in the process :rolleyes: Just my twopence worth.

This am watched sun warming river bank and producing the effect of steam across the surface of the running water. No photos but excellent memories.

All the best.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Very envious of Ivanhoe's remote lake.

Just back from Scottish Highlands - inland from Ullapool. Akto out in freezing overnight conditions. Worked fine with 3 season down bag and the usual trimmings. Don't think a dog would have improved the situation in a damp tent, however, so alternative model probably a good idea. Have you looked at a Macpac Minaret? I've used one for years with no problems - Akto for solo or non-sharing trips, Minaret for shared trips = success for me. Did like MSR offerings when living in Canada, but not up to date with models so can't comment. I prefer to bivvy when I can use a fire or am not going into the high hills. There's always space for friends and pooches under a 3x3 tarp. Now I've managed to make my own canvas one, we can be heated with a fire and not lose waterproofing or material in the process :rolleyes: Just my twopence worth.

This am watched sun warming river bank and producing the effect of steam across the surface of the running water. No photos but excellent memories.

All the best.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you were putting the Akto through its paces! Damp dog + damp tent = misery!

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Don't worry! Me and my friend had ours out to compensate! :rolleyes:

Moumlrt%205_zpsms2gjeop.jpg

Real wilderness! Extremely hard to find lake in very remote area.

The terrain is so tough that you can't walk around the lake. There's even warning signs trying
to discourage you from even trying!

Moumlrt%203_zps0trh4b4z.jpg

The shelter rests out on a small cape with very steep cliffs.

Moumlrt%204_zpswzwfnufl.jpg

I bet you haven't seen any shelter like this. :p In winter time we even put a "door" on it!

The Guest Book only has two other entries beside me and my friend, for the whole last year!

Moumlrt%201_zpsouos95fn.jpg

04:00.

Moumlrt%202_zpsq0xswqce.jpg

character0175.gif

PS: Did I mention I bought an extra full length surplus Thermarest on Ebay? For $ 9.90. ;)

Some cracking views from that Akto! :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Moumlrt%204_zpswzwfnufl.jpg

I bet you haven't seen any shelter like this. :p In winter time we even put a "door" on it!

PS: Did I mention I bought an extra full length surplus Thermarest on Ebay? For $ 9.90. ;)

I saw a few of those in Finland when I was there... VERY handy places, even for a lunch stop.

I didn't notice your PS... The ones i'm still waiting for (Thanks All Outdoor) are Neoair Dream Large mats. they're nice - really nice. but I hope you're happy with your thin cheap old mat ;)

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I saw a few of those in Finland when I was there... VERY handy places, even for a lunch stop.

I didn't notice your PS... The ones i'm still waiting for (Thanks All Outdoor) are Neoair Dream Large mats. they're nice - really nice. but I hope you're happy with your thin cheap old mat ;)

I have to ask are these common place in Finland/Sweden? I know Ivanhoe said that the shelter had hardly been used within the last year, but these look great shelters :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have to ask are these common place in Finland/Sweden? I know Ivanhoe said that the shelter had hardly been used within the last year, but these look great shelters :)

They are fairly common yes. I think Ivanhoe is in a very remote location where even a lovely shelter like this would not see many visitors.

I must admit, I have not seen one as closed in as this in person, most I saw in Finland were more open fronted. I have seen in photos some on the AT in America some more closed in ones though.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
They are fairly common yes. I think Ivanhoe is in a very remote location where even a lovely shelter like this would not see many visitors.

I must admit, I have not seen one as closed in as this in person, most I saw in Finland were more open fronted. I have seen in photos some on the AT in America some more closed in ones though.

Would it have been local park rangers who would have constructed them, or locals? Maybe in more remote locations it might be locals to help a traveller in need?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm afraid I don't know about their construction and maintenance but the ones I saw always had a small store of processed wood and kindling which we replenished before leaving so I think there is a wider appreciation and involvement with them generally.

I'm very jealous of countries with small populations, room to breathe and beautiful landscapes.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I'm afraid I don't know about their construction and maintenance but the ones I saw always had a small store of processed wood and kindling which we replenished before leaving so I think there is a wider appreciation and involvement with them generally.

I'm very jealous of countries with small populations, room to breathe and beautiful landscapes.

I was going to mention this small store of processed wood - clearly visible at the side of the photo shown by Ivanhoe. Really helpful to the weary traveller :) and certainly appreciated. I can only agree with you on that score, there is getting less and less room on this small island that we inhabit. I think we all need time to think, breathe and enjoy beautiful landscapes.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Shelters like these are very common in Sweden and in Finland. I was refering to
the closed off design of this one, with a fourth wall and a small door opening.
It's very seldom used outside of this area...

Almost all other similar shelters have three walls and are completely open to
the lake. The wind won't go in there, as it is closed off on three sides. :)

Flak-eldfluga02.jpg

Two different ones of these shelters.

BigNose-3.jpg

The shelter in my first post, with four walls, is acctually located on a hiking trail, Östgötaleden,
but it is so hard to walk that part of the trail that very few do...

GetImage.ashx

(These two pics are stolen from an official municipal blogg!)

GetImage.ashx

http://www.malexander.se/Bloggar/Blogg.aspx?id=1&bpid=42

:)

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Crikey - no wonder there were only two entries for the shelter in the first post when there are steep cliff sides like this to traverse! Looks like well worth the effort though! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE