Hilleberg Akto & Taking The Pooch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hi Guys

I posted a thread some weeks ago about the possibility of using the Nallo 2 GT when out camping with dog. Well I have checked this tent out and feel that it might be too heavy a tent for an overnighter/weekend. Whilst in the store I checked out the weight of the Akto in its packed size and this seemed like it would be more suitable. However, and this was the big let down, it wasnt erected in the shop. So heres the question - those of you who own the Akto - do you think it could be used in conjunction with dog out in the woods. Am 5.11 tall, dog is a smallish lurcher type at around 20kg. Room to curl up down by my feet? or do I need to look elsewhere? Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks. Rob

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
It's probably possible, but I don't think you or the dog would be happy. At 5'11' you won't have much room left by your feet, and the roof is very low at the ends. The vestibule is another option, but then you won't have much room for gear.

The Akto is expensive enough that you don't want to take a chance it won't work out. I love my Akto, but if I had a dog, I'd be looking for something roomier.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
It's probably possible, but I don't think you or the dog would be happy. At 5'11' you won't have much room left by your feet, and the roof is very low at the ends. The vestibule is another option, but then you won't have much room for gear.

The Akto is expensive enough that you don't want to take a chance it won't work out. I love my Akto, but if I had a dog, I'd be looking for something roomier.

Thanks for the input. Looking at photos of it again, I certainly can see what you are saying about sloping roof at end - which is where the dog would be. She will curl up into a small space, and would rather her be inside tent, than in vertibule area, but maybe the small space of the Akto might not be enough room :(

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have an Akto and am 5'10" and would say there would not be enough room at the head or foot end and the vestibule will already be full of kit.

For exactly the same weight (1.7kg) you can get an Anjan 2 or for 0.2kg more you can get an Anjan 3 and have ample room for everything.

I have recently got a MSR Papa Hubba NX and it's a fantastic design... The Hubba Hubba NX is only 1.54kg, is now available in green and is nearly half the price. The only downside is if it's hammering down with rain the inner goes up first and then the fly... but with the footprint you can get the fly up first. It might not be as robust as the Akto in the long term but it's more roomy, less expensive and lighter... oh and it's free standing and is easier to get a nice taught pitch.

Last edited:

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
+1 on hubba huba nx, quality tent (in green), you can also get an addon for it

[video=youtube;T68B8SK5JHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T68B8SK5JHM[/video]

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I have an Akto and am 5'10" and would say there would not be enough room at the head or foot end and the vestibule will already be full of kit.

For exactly the same weight (1.7kg) you can get an Anjan 2 or for 0.2kg more you can get an Anjan 3 and have ample room for everything.

I have recently got a MSR Papa Hubba NX and it's a fantastic design... The Hubba Hubba NX is only 1.54kg, is now available in green and is nearly half the price. The only downside is if it's hammering down with rain the inner goes up first and then the fly... but with the footprint you can get the fly up first. It might not be as robust as the Akto in the long term but it's more roomy, less expensive and lighter... oh and it's free standing and is easier to get a nice taught pitch.

Hi. Thanks for the input. Just read a review of water ingress for Anjan - have you experienced any issues?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Heard lots of good things about the Akto but not used one personally, that style of tent is generally 1 person and kit only.

Not sure if you're fixed on getting a Hilleberg or not, I've looked at them a few times over the years and they are truly excellent but I couldn't find one that fitted what I needed. I ended up getting the Shangri-La 3 when Golite were still in existence and found it to be a really versatile lightweight tent, the closest I can find to that now it this http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-3/WF115.html. Depending on where I was going I'd often leave the inner behind, it could be ideal for what you're suggesting, there are also some quite interesting tarp/inner combos out there now if you really want to get the weight down.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi. Thanks for the input. Just read a review of water ingress for Anjan - have you experienced any issues?

I don't have an Anjan i'm afraid, I was just throwing it out there as it was a Hilleberg which you were already looking at as a brand and was the same weight as the Akto which you were happy with.

I would urge you to have a look at the MSR offering, the design gives you loads of internal volume thanks to near vertical walls that you don't get with a tipi type design, it also doesn't have a big pole right in the middle. For a little more weight and money I think the HP version is a more robust version of the NX.

Cheers,
Joe.

Last edited:

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Heard lots of good things about the Akto but not used one personally, that style of tent is generally 1 person and kit only.

Not sure if you're fixed on getting a Hilleberg or not, I've looked at them a few times over the years and they are truly excellent but I couldn't find one that fitted what I needed. I ended up getting the Shangri-La 3 when Golite were still in existence and found it to be a really versatile lightweight tent, the closest I can find to that now it this http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-3/WF115.html. Depending on where I was going I'd often leave the inner behind, it could be ideal for what you're suggesting, there are also some quite interesting tarp/inner combos out there now if you really want to get the weight down.

I have to be honest I think I am fixated on Hilleberg. Perhaps the only way of sorting the issue is by buying, and then trying. If it doesnt work then can resell. However, all the input here is helping, as am checking other brands to try and clarify thoughts. Thanks again.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I don't have an Anjan i'm afraid, I was just throwing it out there as it was a Hilleberg which you were already looking at as a brand and was the same weight as the Akto which you were happy with.

I would urge you to have a look at the MSR offering, the design gives you loads of internal volume thanks to near vertical walls that you don't get with a tipi type design, it also doesn't have a big pole right in the middle. For a little more weight and money I think the HP version is a more robust version of the NX.

Cheers,
Joe.

Am checking MSR as well now. Thanks for the info here, is appreciated.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I have to be honest I think I am fixated on Hilleberg. Perhaps the only way of sorting the issue is by buying, and then trying. If it doesnt work then can resell. However, all the input here is helping, as am checking other brands to try and clarify thoughts. Thanks again.

Not a problem, a lot of it comes down to what how much you want to carry and what you're willing to put up with. I've got a Terra-Nova Solar which is fine but limited in space, the Shangri-La is like a palace for one and stupidly light if you use a pole with extender. I've used a few of the MSR tents as well and they are excellent, internal space is good but slightly heavier. I've used the Carbon Reflex 3 fairly heavily and loved, unfortunately one of the poles eventually snapped and went through the fabric, a friend used the Hubba NX solidly during a 9 month exped and loved it.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Lots of used Akto:s in the UK. Just buy one and test! You'll probably
get all the money back if it doesn't work and you choose to sell it. :)

Akto%202_zpsz6zmirnr.jpg

Mine I just bought from the UK.

Akto%203_zpsowdjiejz.jpg

Hilleberg tents aren't sacred. Change and improve them in any way you want.

I put green lines and metal guy line runners, painted with MoD issue hardened paint, on my.

Akto%201_zpsf0y0fhx9.jpg

Akto%205_zpskyk2gf3o.jpg

Look! The old beautiful Hilleberg leather label! :)

Some zippers got draw strings. The tent pole has a temporary camo tape in the pic, but
has now been painted with the same MoD issue olive paint.

Akto%204_zps8bohjlxr.jpg

Undisclosed hole in your used tent? No problem! Just fix it! :)

Three layers of fabric with Hilleberg silicone glue in between them lasts forever...

Akto%206_zpsp59elnmj.jpg

Metal hooks in the two loops in the inner ceiling makes them easier to use.

Akto%207_zps36xkgs6z.jpg

A flourecent Emergency Exit sign show the way out into the wilderness!
character0175.gif

Akto%209_zpsikmltamw.jpg

The very large opening makes the tent feel more spacious... :rolleyes:

Akto%208_zpsoy54nqoq.jpg

My used tent got a brand new "footprint" extra floor, and I replaced the centre line with
a high quality webbing strap, that is nicer to walk on...

Akto%2010_zpscdjdjpyz.jpg

The tent is easy to hide away... Because, you never know when there are Spetsnaz out in the woods.

You can never be too careful!
character0145.gif

Last edited:

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Lots of used Akto:s in the UK. Just buy one and test! You'll probably
get all the money back if it doesn't work and you choose to sell it. :)

Akto%202_zpsz6zmirnr.jpg

Mine I just bought from the UK.

Akto%203_zpsowdjiejz.jpg

Hilleberg tents aren't sacred. Change and improve them in any way you want.

I put green lines and metal guy line runners, painted with MoD issue hardened paint, on my.

Akto%201_zpsf0y0fhx9.jpg

Akto%205_zpskyk2gf3o.jpg

Look! The old beautiful Hilleberg leather label! :)

Some zippers got draw strings. The tent pole has a temporary camo tape in the pic, but
has now been painted with the same MoD issue olive paint.

Akto%204_zps8bohjlxr.jpg

Undisclosed hole in your used tent? No problem! Just fix it! :)

Three layers of fabric with Hilleberg silicone glue in between them lasts forever...

Akto%206_zpsp59elnmj.jpg

Metal hooks in the two loops in the inner ceiling makes them easier to use.

Akto%207_zps36xkgs6z.jpg

A flourecent Emergency Exit sign show the way out into the wilderness!
character0175.gif

Akto%209_zpsikmltamw.jpg

The very large opening makes the tent feel more spacious... :rolleyes:

Akto%208_zpsoy54nqoq.jpg

My used tent got a brand new "footprint" extra floor, and I replaced the centre line with
a high quality webbing strap, that is nicer to walk on...

Akto%2010_zpscdjdjpyz.jpg

The tent is easy to hide away... Because, you never know when there are Spetsnaz out in the woods.

You can never be too careful!
character0145.gif

It never ceases to amaze me how kind and generous people are on this forum in providing photos and thoughts to help you make an informed decision. Thank you for this. I am loving the set up - I think you are right! Get the tent, try it and if it doesnt work for me will work for someone else! ;) One key element:

A flourecent Emergency Exit sign show the way out into the wilderness! A MUST! :) I think these should be available so you can stick them on all doors/windows/car doors etc - we all need to know the way out to the woods! :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That was in January I think... more damp and horrible than cold and nice.

This weekend, if my new thermarests arrive, I'll be out in my 4-man MSR Papa Hubba to give it a trial run.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
That was in January I think... more damp and horrible than cold and nice.

This weekend, if my new thermarests arrive, I'll be out in my 4-man MSR Papa Hubba to give it a trial run.

I think the weather is looking good for tomorrow. Bright sunshine over in the east. Hope the weather is as good with you as it looks like it will be with me. Hope all goes well with your new purchase :)

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Thermarests didn't arrive... bummed out to say the least.

Don't worry! Me and my friend had ours out to compensate! :rolleyes:

Moumlrt%205_zpsms2gjeop.jpg

Real wilderness! Extremely hard to find lake in very remote area.

The terrain is so tough that you can't walk around the lake. There's even warning signs trying
to discourage you from even trying!

Moumlrt%203_zps0trh4b4z.jpg

The shelter rests out on a small cape with very steep cliffs.

Moumlrt%204_zpswzwfnufl.jpg

I bet you haven't seen any shelter like this. :p In winter time we even put a "door" on it!

The Guest Book only has two other entries beside me and my friend, for the whole last year!

Moumlrt%201_zpsouos95fn.jpg

04:00.

Moumlrt%202_zpsq0xswqce.jpg

character0175.gif

PS: Did I mention I bought an extra full length surplus Thermarest on Ebay? For $ 9.90. ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE