Hi Everybody

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
Hi Everybody,

I've been a member for some time now but have not got round to "dipping my toe in the water" so to speak. I spend a bit of time wandering the Stour Valley in Suffolk and have got heavily into knife making over the last year or so, I post a bit over on BB.

I went to Saffron Walden market yesterday to rummage through the second hand tool stall there and came away with a few goodies for recycling into knife blades

DSCF3982.jpg

DSCF3981.jpg

Files for blades, brass rod for pins, a couple of good quality ball pein hammers for my son and amongst them all.........a little gem of an axe, all for £12.

DSCF3983.jpg

DSCF3984.jpg

It had been badly abused, with the poll all burred over from being hammered , and lots of rust and pitting, but as you can see from those pictures as soon as I got home I got to work on it with the belt grinder.

I would like some help with Id-ing the little beauty, Maybe Red can help as I see he is the resident axe expert.

DSCF4003.jpg

DSCF3999.jpg

DSCF3998.jpg

DSCF4002.jpg

DSCF4004.jpg

DSCF3996.jpg

I began to clean her up and found some script on the cheeks. On one side it say SO***AS *9 *** then under it says ENGLISH MAKE
On the opposite cheek there is some sort of signature that looks like Hie Bu*ud then JR

Of course it might be completely wrong the corrosion is obscuring it. If I remove any more corrosion I will lose it altogether. Does anyone have any ideas. about the picture quality , bad lighting I'm afraid, its not as bad as the pics make it look.

Size wise it's about 13 ounces in weight, 2.5" bit, 1 7/8" at the poll, 3/4" wide at the eye and 4.5" bit to poll.

What should I do next, clean right back to bright metal or leave as is.? It's quite a narrow profile already , should make a lovely little every day carry when I get it hafted and masked. 10" to 12" haft should be about right shoudn't it?

I apologise for the size of this as a first post Best Regards

David:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE