Hi! Cautiously venturing in...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Hi all, nice to meet you! This seems like a great community and I'm really happy to be a member. At the moment, I'm cautiously dipping my toes in the water (there's enough of it around at the moment) as I've had no prior experience of bushcraft, and some pretty grim memories of camping holidays as a kid. But something about it has caught my interest, so... :dunno: Let's see where it goes!

Anyway, a quick intro to me... I'm Esther, I like being outdoors (that's a good start, right?) but also like curling up inside with a good book and a big mug of builders' tea. I work with a training company, luckily from home so no one cares if I start work in my PJs (hey, I sometimes finish it that way too :eek: ), spend way too much time on t'interwebz, like doing crafts, and the big love of my life is a short haired Collie cross named Sam :D

Reading through the articles and forum threads has been a real eye opener, so much interesting stuff and clearly some very knowledgeable and experienced people around, so thanks for letting me be here to share in that. As a total newbie, I'm aware I don't have much to contribute, although my first attempts at anything bushcrafty could make funny threads for everyone else's amusement! :D Looking forward to talking with you all round the forum.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Pull up a log and sit and enjoy. There are plenty of knowledgable people on here who you can ask anything that you may need to know.

Why the bad memories of camping? To me all those things that went wrong on serve as a reminder of what not to do next time.

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Thanks all :)

Why the bad memories of camping? To me all those things that went wrong on serve as a reminder of what not to do next time.

You're so right. With hindsight (that wonderful thing) and having read up a bit more on here, it was down to inadequate preparation or poor quality equipment - so my memories are of being uncomfortably cold - so cold I'd wake up in the night shaking, always being hungry, waking up in the morning to a condensed tent that smelt like the inside of an abused plastic carrier bag, etc. I always ended up wanting to get back home as quickly as possible! Finding out that it doesn't have to be like that was a revelation of road to Damascus proportions :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Basically, if you are cold and uncomfortable you are doing it wrong. As the home page says, bushcraft is about being comfortable outdoors. Plenty of people on here will point you in the right direction.

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome :)

dreadhead, yes, I'm not far from Catton Park/Elvaston/Tutbury which often have things on. (Nice ink, btw...)
treetop, thanks for the heads up. That sounds like a good one to go to - and maybe by then I'll have a clue what I'm doing lol :rolleyes:

Right, I'd better head off for the night. Work are actually sending me out to a client meeting tomorrow morning - gonna have to set an alarm and get dressed and everything :eek: Bloomin nuisance! :cussing: G'night all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE