Hennessy Hex fly as a bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Although I do not have a Hennessy hammock, I use the Hennessy Hex Fly as part of my personalised hammock sleep system.

I have also been experimenting with using it as a bivvy and found that it works very well :D

The hex fly at 12 feet long allows enough room for me and all my kit to be inside it.

Tie one end to a tree and peg the other end to the ground. Peg down the corners nearest the tree, to the ground and then tuck the other corners inside the sleep area (see picture above). If the ground is rough, I first put down my "Individual Protection Kit" sheet to protect the fly when I lay on it ;)

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
Theres a bloke on ebay doing new ones for £24.50 delivered. from the USA. Am currently waiting for my one to turn up. Seller name is AUCTIONPRENEUR you might need to go in to ebay.com rather than .co.uk as jes us based, but he ships to UK. As the price is under £18 (before postage), theres no risk of import duty + vat being added.

flibb said:
Theres a bloke on ebay doing new ones for £24.50 delivered. from the USA. Am currently waiting for my one to turn up. Seller name is AUCTIONPRENEUR you might need to go in to ebay.com rather than .co.uk as jes us based, but he ships to UK. As the price is under £18 (before postage), theres no risk of import duty + vat being added.
Flibb, I'm afraid to say that import duty is calculated on the postage costa as well, if it's £24.50 delivered, there's a good chance you'll get clobbered

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
Heres a pdf from UK Customs

LINKY

Excerpt here, basically boils down to duty isnt paid on postage costs, just make sure they dont include it in the decleration.

3.3 Can I get relief from duty or VAT on any goods?
Yes. EC agreements allow relief from charges on certain imported goods if they: have an intrinsic value of £18 or less although this particular relief does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters which are covered in paragraph3.4. The intrinsic value is the actual value of the goods excluding postage, packing and other miscellaneous costs; are gifts worth £36 or less which comply with the rules shown in paragraph

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fenlander, if you're carrying a big Hex-Fly and an IPK (which you can make a basha out of anyway), would it not just be more simple to carry one normal basha sheet? and a bit lighter not to mention less bulky too?

I don't mean that in a funny way and as you say you are just trying out different things (which we all do :) ) but it just strikes me as odd that you carry both...

I just can't see the benefit? ? :confused:

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind it.

Many thanks,

Bam.

flibb said:
Heres a pdf from UK Customs

LINKY

Excerpt here, basically boils down to duty isnt paid on postage costs, just make sure they dont include it in the decleration.

3.3 Can I get relief from duty or VAT on any goods?
Yes. EC agreements allow relief from charges on certain imported goods if they: have an intrinsic value of £18 or less although this particular relief does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters which are covered in paragraph3.4. The intrinsic value is the actual value of the goods excluding postage, packing and other miscellaneous costs; are gifts worth £36 or less which comply with the rules shown in paragraph
Interesting, let me know what happens

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
looks great, when the sides are folded underneath how much protected floor space do they provide? (there is nothing in the picture to give an idea of scale inside)

bambodoggy said:
Fenlander, if you're carrying a big Hex-Fly and an IPK (which you can make a basha out of anyway), would it not just be more simple to carry one normal basha sheet? and a bit lighter not to mention less bulky too?

I don't mean that in a funny way and as you say you are just trying out different things (which we all do :) ) but it just strikes me as odd that you carry both...

I just can't see the benefit? ? :confused:

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind it.

Many thanks,

Bam.

Basha above.....hex fly below :) Which is less bulky :p

Basha weighs 950 grams
Hex fly weighs 710 grams

Basha measures 8x6 feet
Hex fly measures 10x12 feet

'nough said :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Blimey, that's either a very bulky basha or a very small hex-fly.... I've got both and I wouldn't have realised the difference had I not seen your photo.

What about when you add the IPK though...I meant the fact that you used both?

I can see the bulk/weight advantage of the hex-fly alone but doesn't the IPK bulk it up a bit?

I have bivvied under my hex-fly alone and so wondered why you used the IPK?

Is that a bit clearer on what I was asking mate? :)

Bam.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I've used mine as a lean to, it works a treat and gives a vast area for sleeping and bushcrafting underneath, and you can have a fire outside.
You can either fold the triangle ends of the hex down, to meet the ground which means you can lie in the back and be out of any breeze. Or rig it like a normal basha fo extra space.
Its a wonderful bit of kit, extremely light for the size

hexflyleanto.jpg

Cheers
Rich

Roving Rich said:
I've used mine as a lean to, it works a treat and gives a vast area for sleeping and bushcrafting underneath, and you can have a fire outside.
You can either fold the triangle ends of the hex down, to meet the ground which means you can lie in the back and be out of any breeze. Or rig it like a normal basha fo extra space.
Its a wonderful bit of kit, extremely light for the size

Cheers
Rich

I see you've grown your hair longer since the spring meet :p :p

I shall be trying that setup out next :D

You might like to email the details to the Hennessy company as they were really interested in mine ;)

bambodoggy said:
Blimey, that's either a very bulky basha or a very small hex-fly.... I've got both and I wouldn't have realised the difference had I not seen your photo.

What about when you add the IPK though...I meant the fact that you used both?

I can see the bulk/weight advantage of the hex-fly alone but doesn't the IPK bulk it up a bit?

I have bivvied under my hex-fly alone and so wondered why you used the IPK?

Is that a bit clearer on what I was asking mate? :)

Bam.

I carry new bits of kit a few times and experiment with them. If they prove to have limited uses, then I stop carrying them. I am currently experimenting with a couple of ideas using the IP kit ;)

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
Bit of an update, my hex fly tirned up from the USA todau (13th), I ordered it on 8th. He made the correct customs decleration so it cleared customs quickly and without any problems. Its hudge :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE