Hennessy hammock warning!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Paganwolf said:
(wispers; hurry up and get the bushbag out of the bag lithril im gagging to know what its like, s*d the hennesys :rolmao: )

I agree come on Lithril. It's been coming soon since September. Let us in on the big secret.

Bill

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
It appears I may have miss understood previous threads concerning the development of the Bushbag so I can only say sorry where this is concerned, however this being the case or not it still doesn't show BCUK in the best of lights as Stuart is a moderator who should be deemed to act more professionally.

Again I am only voicing these opinions out of concern for BCUK and I am not trying to cause trouble in any form.

One good thing to come of this is the way several of you quickly stepped in to defend stuart, shows a good team spirit. Well done.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
whitebuffalo said:
It appears I may have miss understood previous threads concerning the development of the Bushbag so I can only say sorry where this is concerned

No apology needed - there's a lot of threads here!

however this being the case or not it still doesn't show BCUK in the best of lights as Stuart is a moderator who should be deemed to act more professionally.

I would be more likely to think that given that he has seem two hammocks from supposed different batches break that he would be unprofessional to continue to recommend them to friends and members. If I'd recommended something to members or even friends and that broke I would feel embarrassed and not want that to happen again until I had found out if there was a reason for it. Stuart is allowed his opinion like any other member.

Again I am only voicing these opinions out of concern for BCUK and I am not trying to cause trouble in any form.

You opinion is valued. Thank you for your concern.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
whitebuffalo said:
It appears I may have miss understood previous threads concerning the development of the Bushbag so I can only say sorry where this is concerned, however this being the case or not it still doesn't show BCUK in the best of lights as Stuart is a moderator who should be deemed to act more professionally.

One good thing to come of this is the way several of you quickly stepped in to defend stuart, shows a good team spirit. Well done.
Stuart is a moderator, yes, but he's also a member and has his own opinion.

It's a tough enough being a mod without having to give up being a member too!! We're members just like you. If I had recommended something to some friends and I felt that my recommendation was no longer appropriate, then I wouldn't hesitate to tell my friends that.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
whitebuffalo said:
this being the case or not it still doesn't show BCUK in the best of lights as Stuart is a moderator who should be deemed to act more professionally.

He's only defending his own reputation. He no longer wants to recommend Hennessy to people so needs to counter his previous recommendations (some people do look though past posts) and he needs to explain why.

If he didn't explain his reasons after being very pro them before, we would only ask! :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I have to say I'm with the Mods on this.... I thought Stuart was very professional in his re-assessment of the product....If I'd had two of them snap on me after I'd been saying how good they were.....I'd need moderating! :eek:):

We praise and slate gear all the time....and the wise amoung us (moi?) read between lines and then make our own choices....

I'd have been more gutted if I'd gone out and bought one on Stuart's recommendation and then found it to break easily....

My final comment.... :ekt: to Stuart for publicly changing his mind and giving us his honest opinion of the products he uses... :super:

Nov 24, 2004
West Sussex
yeah thanks for the `hefty` comments paganwolf ! :nono: my SAS jungle hammock was sold as genuine by Silvermans and I have no reason to doubt them. Just `unlucky Eddy` striking again. Ho hum

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
What is all the fuss about? One only has to read Stuarts letter and see how often he is using the term I and me. Its pretty clear to me that he is only concerned about the fact that people could follow his advice and could buy the wrong stuff believing to get the perfect gear. If he one day in time recommended the hammock, in my opinion he is entitled to pull his recommendation back. And if Hennessy didn't kiss his feed for the first recommendation he gave to us some time ago then I would not worry about them looking bad on BCUK.

cheers
Abbe

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Evil grows when good men do nothing.
Good for you Stuart :wave: it is hard to say your opinion sometimes but shared knowledge is what we are here for...no?
just a thought

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks for the info Stuart... I've been thinking about getting a hammock for some time but after seeing Dave's collapse... well hearing Dave turning the air blue when it collapsed, I’m a little reluctant to get one, I think they have their place but that's in humid places where there are bugs and stuff on the ground.

Hearing people tell tales of walking thermarests and spending 20 minutes trying to get into the bag, then the bivvy bag, then the hammock I don't think they're for me at the moment anyway.

Reading your honest warning has reinforced my appreciation of the integrity of nearly everyone on BCUK :You_Rock_

Joe

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Thanks for posting the info Stuart. It's this kind of feedback that helps other users like myself on these forums make informed decisions:biggthump

Just as a general note it is important to check Hennesseys' own weight limits ( or any hammocks for that matter) stated for each of the different models, given the potential health risk of a collapsing hammock. But it is not helped when the max weight on their web site differs from what it says on the stuff bag supplied. For instance, on their web site my 'Explorer Deluxe Asym' model (which is a larger model and different limit from other models) has a stated 'Weight Limit' of 300 lbs/ 135 kg

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm

But on the actual stuff sack supplied the printed 'Weight Limit' is 350lbs (no metric equivalent given). Advice like this should at least be consistent.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
I look forward to hearing how The Hennessys' deal with this and lets not hope it is a major problem, as I said earlier I have used several of their products and together with the service, allways been more than satisfied.

Even after this very authoritive warning I will not be put off, reason why?

I truly feel if I do have a problem with anything from Hennessy it would be dealt with extremely well.

It is the law of averages that even the best people in the world will have an off day, my belief is, that if something or someone has been "top notch" throughout the past and that bad day turns up - work with them on it, then you will be appreciated.

Lets hope this doesn't do too much damage :wink:

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have not heard of Hennessy hammocks so have no idea of the value , but my suggestion is to try one of the cheap net hammocks (about £10) . I have had one for 18 years , it saw me through Cadets 3 years in the infantry and still serves me well at motorbike rallys . No it is notin perfect condition , some of the net pieces have snapped (due to sleeping in webbing or wearing a knife pouch) but like a read somewhere in this thread "a bit of paracord and it was fixed" . I weigh about 15 stone now , but weighed more when i was using it on regular basis , the only time this has dumped me was when i tried to get in drunk !
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE