Hennessy hammock warning!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
As I am sure many will be aware I have been an advocate of the Hennessy hammock for many years, I own/have owned 5 models, used them in 7 countries, and even sat out a cyclone in one.

the only times I have ever seen them damaged was when a drunk sugarcane worker crashed into my hammock on a motorbike (snapped a guy line) and when I dropped my knife in one (Duh!)

However I can no longer in good faith recommend the purchase of Hennessy hammocks at this time.

It has become apparent to me that the quality of Hennessy products has declined dramatically, I believe this coincides with Hennessy’s attempts to keep up with demand by moving its production facility.

an example of the flaws I have personally witnessed, is the HH expedition that a friend of mine recently purchased on my recommendation.

My friend and I went out into the woods with his new purchase so that I could show him how to use it, and to my embarrassment the center line snapped on my first attempt to tension the hammock rendering it almost useless.

I have put up my own Hennessy hammocks hundreds of times and never seen this happen before.

My friend returned his expedition model and it was replaced by Hennessy, this time however it showed damage straight out of the box, with the side lines nicked and frayed.

never the less we went into the woods to try it, and to my utter amazement the center line snapped again as set up the hammock :yikes: (this is not when getting into the hammock but merely in the process of putting it up.)

due to this I retract all my pervious recommendations with regards to Hennessy hammocks especially the expedition model.

whilst I can assure people that models manufactured one to one and a half years ago are excellent, I do not recommend that anyone purchases one manufactured recently.

to those that have purchased hammocks in the last year based in part on my praise of them I apologies profusely, the apparent lack of quality control in the newly produced Hennessy hammocks has only recently come to my attention.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I don't know what make of hammock it was but I now that at Ashdown last weekend Dave got into his brand spanking new hammock and stayed there all of about 2 seconds before the metal ring broke and Dave hit the deck like a sack of spuds....
He did repair it somehow and spent the next night in it (well all except his feet...lol) but I was a bit suprised and worried that it broke in the first place!

Sure Dave can give more details.....

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
:shock:

Thanks for that Stuart - I got a new HH for Christmas and haven't tried putting it up yet - I'll certainly want to make sure it's OK before taking it out on a real trip after thee comments!

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
that was a light weight sas jungle job Bam, and Dave aint no light weight he's a big ol fella. :lol: . What were these bush bag thingys like you tried out then stuart? :?: i take it they are better than the hennesy, i cant stand the suspence any more :shock: :shock: :naughty:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Stuart - these center lines you've seen break, is it that the line breaks in the middle or at the ends?

Another possible reason for "weaknesses" in the HH design is the total commitment to "lightweight" - everything is as small and thin as possible. I know in the past that we've not seen entirely eye to eye about the Ray Mears Eco System :wink: and how that system is much bigger and heavier but I am impressed as to how robust it is in comparison. Everything on it is made with "robust" in mind and made to last.

Sure, it's heavier and bulkier but I don't see a single thing breaking on it through use.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
outdoorgirl said:

Thanks for that Stuart - I got a new HH for Christmas and haven't tried putting it up yet - I'll certainly want to make sure it's OK before taking it out on a real trip after thee comments!

I got one just before xmas its been up with my kids playing in it, thats as good as a destruction test i can tell ya lol, perhaps it was a batch thing? let us know what your ones like outdoorgirl :biggthump

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
I've never had a problem with my Hennesy's, allways been happy.

This is something I feel you should be talking to the company about, give them a chance to do something as they have great reputation.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Paganwolf said:
that was a light weight sas jungle job Bam, and Dave aint no light weight he's a big ol fella. :lol:

Oh was it...? Then I'm even more suprised it broke! :yikes: I was issued one of these when I went to Berlize for three weeks with the TA....I'm a hefty 14.5 stone and some of the lads were bigger than me and we didn't manage to snap ours....they were very well built. I don't recall them having a metal ring on them anywhere though... just a couple of pockets at each end for spacer bars if required....

This will come as no suprise to those who were at Ashdown but do you know...when I left the TA, I seem to have forgotten to hand the hammock back!!!! lol :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Was it a civvi copy by any chance that Dave had? :?:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Probably - that said it was only the brass ring and it might have been damaged by dropping it or some such - still bit of para cord later and .......

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Stuart while I am sure of your good intentions in mentioning this defect might I point out that with BCUK's interest and pointed advertising of the forth coming Bushbag that you mentioned as being better in your warning you might be miss read as less than honest at least that is how it at first struck me.

Surely you would be better suited to have the faulty items sent back to the parent company for repair or evaluation rather than openly complaining (in a potentially damaging way for BCUK and the company in question) a product many of us have and use without fault regularly.

Many outdoor shops stock these items as do many of the outdoor schools and such claims based on two examples against the likely 1000's sold could be seen in a less than flattering light by some.

I am sorry to sound so very dire but that is how it came across and I would not want BCUK's reputation damaged just because you wanted to moan about a product.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I got a HH about six months ago and was not happy with the service I got but you can read about that on another thread. The first time I set it up the ridge line snapped. It snapped where it is tied into a loop. I was livid and told HH. In fairness to them for once I got a prompt reply offering to replace it but I opted to replace the ridge line myself rather than go through the hassle of sending back the hammock etc. They did say I would get a set of snake skins free of charge which would hopefully make up for my trouble but these have never turned up. I have emailled them about this a half dozen times or so but they have gone back to not answering my emails.

I have however now used the Hammock a couple of times and it has been very good. On one trip it was down to -10 and the hammock was warm and cosy but that may have been down to using two Nanok endurance sleeping bags nested with a thermarest between them. There are niggles, like I would like longer tree huggers and the hammock rope could be more flexable but none of these can really be classed as faults.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
You should contact Hennessy and tell them of the problem, they may be very grateful you bought this to their attention :roll:
It could be a problem in production which is getting past quality control .
I have the Explorer I bought the standard version as the word "lightweight "always makes me think it means it is lighter therefore not as strong as the standard version. :yikes:
Must say when I first used it I thought I was going to end up on the floor but after a bit of bouncing about I felt confident it would support me. :biggthump

I would be most interested in Hennessy's response to this problem??, I found them really good to deal with and hope that hasn't changed. :roll:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
whitebuffalo said:
BCUK's interest and pointed advertising of the forth coming Bushbag ...
Just to clarify, bushcraftUK has no interest of involvement or interests in the Bushbag at all. Stuart has in the past highly recommended Hennessey products and in the post that started this thread is stating how his opinions have changed.

If he (or anyone else for that matter) has a bad experience with a product or service (especially one where they in the past have openly recommended those products of services) then I feel that they are doing a service to the bushcraft community.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
whitebuffalo said:
Stuart while I am sure of your good intentions in mentioning this defect might I point out that with BCUK's interest and pointed advertising of the forth coming Bushbag that you mentioned as being better in your warning you might be miss read as less than honest at least that is how it at first struck me.

Just to re-emphasise Adi's point:

- The Bushbag is in no way at all connected to BCUK, it is my own project which is being trialled and tested at present.

- Stuarts connections with the Bushbag has been as a friend and not to do with BCUK.

- Apart from a link in my signature there has been no advertising by myself for the Bushbag apart from specifically answering questions posted by members.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
ANY WAY :shock: ,everyones entitled to their opinion perhaps the people that make the things should have the information so they can get their quality control in order...
(wispers; hurry up and get the bushbag out of the bag lithril im gagging to know what its like, s*d the hennesys :rolmao: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE