Hennessy and midges?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Quick question. Is the mesh on the Hennessy Hammock "dense" (not sure if this is the right term! :rolleyes: ) enough to stop midges? The little blighters are small enough to get through many types of mosquito nets so thought I'd better check before parting with my cash.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Mine has defeated them as well. You can end up sleeping/drooling with your face against the mesh so they could get you that way. The seal on the way in to the hammock is excellent.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yes it is fine enough, it keeps the little blighters out no problem! :D

I took mine up to Morar in the middle of last month, there weren't a lot of midges around, but enough to know they were there. I only used the hammock once, I had a borrowed tent along and the area we were in had a lack of trees, but the on the morning I did use it, I had a close up view of a few dozen frustrated midges marching about on the outside unable to get in.

The velcro is also enough to keep them out. The only problem comes when getting into and out of the hammock, and then trying to dress. Trying to put on trousers and shirt while lying in a Hennessey could give less flexible members some real problems! Then again, that is always a problem in a hammock, its just that with midge waiting for you outside you become less keen on dressing in the open ;)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Thanks for the info. Looks like I may be a proud new owner of a Hennessey Hammock in the near future!

MagiKelly said:
So far mine has been. If you could make it to the Scottish Meet up you could see mine and check for yourself.

Is that the one on the 15 - 17 July? If so then unfortunately I can't make it. I have an engagement party to go to down south.

marshall4771 said:
No problems with mine at the weekend. The boys in the basha/bivy bag combo got eaten alive.

Has anyone tried suspending a "box" midge net under their tarp. Something like an Arktis mosi net? I wonder if this would work?

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
MagiKelly said:
Yes. Don't go to the party wait for the wedding :D .

I've got to go to both! :D ....... watch out those bridesmaids!

MagiKelly said:
Failing that if you are going to be through this side of the country I am happy to meet you and show you the hammock.

Was across in Greenock the other day! :rolleyes: Damn. If I'm across again before the next Scottish meet I'll PM you.

Have you guys come up with a good Scottish name for the meet yet? ........ come on you know it has to be done! :)

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Beermonster

I am looking hard at a Hennessy too. UK distributor Website tells you a lot about themselves - but couldnt find their retailers!

Found one on Ebay that was going as 'a bargain' but by my maths was going at just over list price per the Hennessy website.

Have you ( or anyone else ) found a good supplier in the UK?

Thank you for the midge question - never struck me to ask ( :rolleyes: ) but one of main reasons for looking at the system - dooh!

Ta

Oakleaf

J

Jamie

Oakleaf said:
I am looking hard at a Hennessy too. UK distributor Website tells you a lot about themselves - but couldnt find their retailers!

Hi Oakleaf,

For details on the Hennessys on the site go to the homepage www.woodlandorganics.com and click on the Hennessy Hammock link under Product Ranges (on the left hand side of the screen) and you will see the 'Find a stockist' link in that list there. Hope this helps.

Cheers and all the best

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Jamie

Thats great - thank you kindly.

I would have sworn blind I'd been through every avenue from the site! Obviously I was wrong :rolleyes:

Oakleaf

J

Jamie

Oakleaf said:
Jamie

Thats great - thank you kindly.

I would have sworn blind I'd been through every avenue from the site! Obviously I was wrong :rolleyes:

Oakleaf
Nay worries...glad I could get you into the right place eventually! Any other help just lemme know

Cheers and have fun

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
You can order direct from hennessy in the US via the website. They will swap the normal fly for a hexfly (at NO extra cost) and they were doing free snake skins the last time I looked.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Sorry kinda side-tracked Beermonsters post.

Thanks for all input - ordered this morning online with Whipperlys - confirmation e mail hit after 60 seconds. Confirmation of despatch was e mailed through just three hours after placing order! :)

With permission, will let know how it goes - particularly for the ... er fuller figure outdoorsman! ;)

Oakleaf

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
No worries mate. All the info you got was helpful to me too! :D

Which model did you get? Snake skins? Hexfly? Take your camera and give it a review after you've tried it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE