Help required please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
Hi guys, I recently bought a mini kukri from aliexpress and it has arrived with a very poor edge. Does anyone have any tips for getting a good edge along the whole length of the blade.

Thanks in advance.

Ade

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Depends what sharpening stuff you have. I have a dc4, and it works very well, I know some people use their DMT paddles. All does the Same stuff, how I do it.

Hold the blade tip down onto a table, (so the knife is about 45 degrees verticle) then run the stone down the whole length of the blade. Do about 10 times on one side and then swap over. If never got mine hair popping, but it'll chop a zombies head off no sweat! :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I made a sharpener for recurved blades by taking a piece of ~4mm veg tan leather and gluing it around a piece of 3/4" (OD) PVC pipe. It's about 8" long total, 4" bare pipe as a handle and the rest covered in leather. I wrap wet or dry paper around it to work the edge and it works pretty good! Can of course be used as a strop after. Hope that helps!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I got a kitchen knife sharpener the drag through ones for £1 out of asda and grinds to a 17° edge. They also do a 15 and 20. But and it's a big but they do eat the blade so it's not ideal for expensive knives

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
Hi guys, thanks for the replies and advice. What I should have pointed out is that in being a "poor edge" I actually meant that the cutting bevel does not meet on the recurve section of the blade. The knife was relatively cheap buying it from China whereas the same piece of kit would have cost me over $100 from the USA. I'm thinking of just getting my fine half round file on it to get the bevel to meet. What do you think?

cheers

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hi guys, thanks for the replies and advice. What I should have pointed out is that in being a "poor edge" I actually meant that the cutting bevel does not meet on the recurve section of the blade. The knife was relatively cheap buying it from China whereas the same piece of kit would have cost me over $100 from the USA. I'm thinking of just getting my fine half round file on it to get the bevel to meet. What do you think?

cheers

Depending what you mean it may have been supplied "semi sharp" some companies do this to keep costs down. If the bevel changes on spots of the blade you might want to regrind the whole edge. What kind of bevel is on it? On my kukri and panga I actually have deliberate different bevels. 15-17° towards the handle for finer cutting and 20° at the chopping edge to give me a more robust finish. But I don't know of a company that supply them like that

Last edited:

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
Hi Mick. The chopping edge of the blade was supplied as you say "semi sharp" but the recurve section of the blade towards the handle is actually a flat so that is where I need to do the majority of the work. I don't know the exact angle of the bevel but I would say somewhere around the 20-22 degree area. The main bevel ie; the deep bevel that runs the whole length of the blade is concave but need to measure the angle to know what it is. I have thought of grabbing my file and putting a scandi on it at some point but for now i just need to get it usable.

Cheers

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hi Mick. The chopping edge of the blade was supplied as you say "semi sharp" but the recurve section of the blade towards the handle is actually a flat so that is where I need to do the majority of the work. I don't know the exact angle of the bevel but I would say somewhere around the 20-22 degree area. The main bevel ie; the deep bevel that runs the whole length of the blade is concave but need to measure the angle to know what it is. I have thought of grabbing my file and putting a scandi on it at some point but for now i just need to get it usable.

Cheers

Should take a usable edge no bother looking at it. I wouldn't follow the main bevel just take it down to whatever angle you're using it for. File might be a touch severe in a way but go slow and you'll do fine. Mind saying that I've been known to sharpen knives with an angle grinder I don't practice what I preach. Be interested to see how it turns out mate

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
Well, it took a few hours with a very fine engineers file then different grades of emery taped to a piece of 20mm plastic conduit but I've finally got a good working edge all along the blade. I'm going to refine it when my Lansky system arrives.
The next one to tackle is a homemade BG style compact parang.
Thanks guys.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Hi guys, I recently bought a mini kukri from aliexpress and it has arrived with a very poor edge. Does anyone have any tips for getting a good edge along the whole length of the blade.
Thanks in advance.
Ade

Hi, I just like the look of that knife, can you share a link to seller ?

rory

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE