Help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Could any one tell me please what I need to do, to become an instructor.
Im not new to bushcraft I've been doing it for years much to my wife's amusement, she cant understand :confused: why I choose to sleep out every now and then and not get my grub from Tesco's. :eek:
I just feel like a new challenge and teaching people a real skill.

pete

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You can either become an instructor working for someone else, in which case you'll need to meet their requirements and qualifications (mountain leadership quals for instance) or you can just start your own bushcraft training school, in which case you don't need any qualifications. With the later however, you may have difficulty getting public liability insurance until you have a proven track record.

Do you have any outdoor development qualifications? Have you worked with groups of differing ages and abilities before? Do you have a proven track record in this field? These are questions an outdoor development employer will ask you. These are also questions your clients will ask you.

When you say you feel like teaching people a real skill, what do you have in mind?
Do you want to teach full time, part time, seasonal or what?

Eric

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Thanks for your reply.
I used to work in the corporate entertainment industry (team building etc).
I've been interested in bushcraft since I was a kid but it really took off when I was in the forces in the early 90's and regularly since then.
I know this sounds like an ideal, but I want to see if I can make an income from something I really enjoy doing, instead of a dull 9 till 5 just to pay the bills.
I suppose realisticly part time to start off, and see how it goes.

cheers
pete

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi mate,
I only want to give you my 2cents quickly. I believe that you get your audience or clients when the time is ready for you. Like the apple starts growing on the the tree, you cant pull it out. My believe is that it comes from self when the time is ready for you if you hand out your knowleadge seeking to share with your friends, families. Being here in the forum, experiementing with your own time and life, writing tutorials, having your own webpage etc etc. If people see and smell that you have something to give, whatever it is you might feed them with, they will come to you.
There are millions of different ways to get a start, each person has its own way.
Some do some thing which gets the attention of the media and they start from there . But all comes back to the fact that you have to do what YOU like and hand it out to others. Sitting alone in the forest will not help much if people dont hear from you either, its the balance thing again. Only keep in mind that people smell if a person is only sucking up money to fill his own dreams. Be yourself, be real and share then you will get your opening in time.

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE