Help needed finding a new axe handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all, it's been a while since I have been to the forums.

I am currently refinishing an old axe head.

I have got the head just about finished but now I need a handle.

The head is now 2 pound and bottom (handle side) of the eye is approximately 1.5cm wide and 5cm long or approx 5/8" wide and 2" long.

I have checked all my local stores and none have fit.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm the eye dimensions for a few difference Gransfors Bruks or Wetterling axes.

Thanks for your help.

PS I posted this in a few forums, not really sure where it belongs. :rolleyes:

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Try a traditional ironmonger. My old man used to have one and we used to sell many sizes of axe handles.

I am sure you are going to have to alter the one you buy to suit. We used to have a guy who rehandled axes and hammers for us. Look for good straight grained hickory, ask to see several, we used to let folks just look at the rack in the cellar. (Don't forget wedges both timber and metal).

Alternatively British Red might be able to help you.

Hope this helps.

Stewey.:D

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
You could pop over the boarder to Canada, most of the hardware stores i've been to over there, seem to have a good range. Failing that, go to a lumber yard a get a piece of hickory and make your own, i'm sure there is a tutorial here somewhere.
Good luck
Baggins

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He might stu ;)

What length are you after Geoff? I'm guessing a 2lb head was a boys axe or limbing axe to start with? My guess is a 24-26" helve would be about right but it depends on the shape and profile.

Any chance of a picture?

What shape of helve do you want?

I assume its a single bit?

Lastly can you measuer the top eye please? Thats the one that matters.

Cheers

Red

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
I am not sure what type of axe it started out as, I got it when I was a boy, and the handle broke within a week. I put the head away for reworking later on. Now many years later I have reshaped and re-ground the edge.

I think something in the 24" length would be good. Not sure about the handle shape, honestly I don't know a ton about axes. I know I liked the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe type handle.

The top of the eye is roughly 5.1cm long x 1.8cm wide at its widest points, or approx 2" long x 11/16" wide.

Here are a few crude photos.

Hope this info helps. :)

Thanks guys.

:You_Rock_

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well thats easy :)

A replacement handle for a Scandinavian Forest Axe ( not a Small Forest Axe). Will meet your needs exactly. 25", 2" eye. It may be 1/16" wider than you need but thats good - I take them down with a wood rasp to give a precise fit anyway.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Geoffrey

Not in Maine sadly (I assume thats Maine USA?). Any good axe stockist should be able to assit you - its not a particularly unusual item. Failing that someone in the US who stocks Gransfor Bruks axes can get one without difficulty.

Red

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Thanks British Red, you have been most helpful.

I will contact some US dealers and see if they can get one for me.

Thanks again.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No probs Geoffrey - thats what we are here for.

If you get no luck, try Ragnar at Ragweed Forge - he stocks a lot of knives and axes and is very helpful. If he hasn't got a helve that would fit, I bet he could suggest somewhere.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE