help axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
im looking to buy an axe but not dont know anything like what size hachet or a bit bigger. or what manufactuer. plz help with some advice

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
The size of axe you need depends on what you want it for.....
If its just for splitting down fire wood or woodcarving then a small hachet sould suffice.
If you think you'll be felling and limbing small trees as well, then something along the lines of a Gransfors small forest axe would be more useful.
You have to consider that if you are a beginner in axemanship then the smaller, lighter axes would be a better choice to learn with.
As for manufacturer, both Gransfors and Wetterings are held in high regard.
Hope this helps.

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
Really depends on what you intend to use the axe for, small branches etc.. one hand small axe (hatchet style maybe), a little bigger then something like the small forest axe might be better suited.... as for brand depends on budget, personally I use Gransfors Bruks, wetterlings also make good axes and are slightly cheaper.

Andrew

Edit: must type quicker... you beat me too it :D

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Gaz,
It kind of depends what you are planning to do with the axe. If your interest is bushcraft and you spend your time on the move from camp to camp then an axe similar in size to the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe is ideal. This size of axe can be had from a number of other manufacturers so shop around. Generally speaking Gransfors Bruks is reckoned to be about as good as you can get.
If your intention is for larger felling or limbing then a larger axe will be required.
Smaller axes fill a purpose too but are generally felt to be at a disadvantage where bigger cutting tasks are found.
Most importantly handle the tools. You will find that the balance of an axe will vary with the manufacturer but you should find a particular model "feels" better than the others. This is the one to buy.
Finally learn how to look after the axe. All quality tools will perform better if they are sharp and well cared for.
Happy hunting
Tack

The Granfors small forrest axe is about 19 inchs long with a head of aprox one and a half pounds. it is small and light enough to use one handed, but long enough to use two handed as well. it is extremely well made, with the head on straght, well balanced and comes VERY sharp right out of the box. it also comes with a comprehensive manual on how to look after it. it's fairly expensive, but when you consider that, if properly looked after, it will last a lot longer than you do, it's money well spend

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I just ordered a Wetterlings large Hunters axe. Couldn't afford the GB axe and after reading this review on Outdoors-magazine, I knew that I had made the right decision. Of course, it's only one man's opinion of the two axes and ultimately, we all have to make up our own minds about something as personal as a fine cutting tool, but as an only axe to cover everything from limbing to kindling, both axes should handle it very well.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I've got a Gransfors Wildlife hatchet and find it just fine and dandy, sits well on your belt when wandering , can fit in your pack when you need it to.

A bit sharp too.............. :)

Madaxeman
Garry

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Hey GAZ, I'm no expert with an axe, but have spent some time with a few, so for what it's worth, this is my initial impression of the Wetterling large hunters axe.

I received the axe a couple of days ago and it didn't come shaving sharp, but it did catch my thumbnail. There is a vacant lot next to our apt. and I took the axe over, because the fool that owns the property cut down a perfectly good pine and is letting it lay. So.......I tried my hand at debarking a bit of one of the 12' sections of trunk and the axe did a great job once I got the hang of the technique needed. I did a little chopping, not wanting to spoil my favor with the owner, and the axe bit solidly and deep with every swing and not once did it strike a glancing blow and it wasn't difficult to remove. It is lite in weight (2#), is well balanced and easy to choke up on the handle. The bevels are even and the edge is convex. It is 19" long and the head is 6" long and has a cutting edge of 3". The axe isn't as pretty as the GB axe, but it's a solid axe with excellent handling properties. It comes with a nice belt capable sheath and has a straight grained hickory handle.

337353-big.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE