Helle Eggen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I took delivery of a Helle Eggen knife the other day... it's nice!

Anyway, for under 30 notes including delivery it's brilliant

Someone once said that the blade is the same as the Helle Harding, it's not... it's much bigger and heavier.

It's not going to be reviewed because it's cheap as chips and will do most things you ask of it.

I'll be bringing it to ashdown for people to fiddle with.

Joe

J

Joseph.R.C

Hi Joe

Where did you bought it?
online shop?

Thanks

Jose

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi Joseph,

I got it from a company called JLS Wednesbury (http://www.jls-wednesbury.com/default.asp/pages/p.5990/ecombuilder.html).

I'm not sure what their rates are like for international shipping but the sale price makes all the Helle models at the moment a bargain from them.

I would advise calling them and not ordering online as their ordering is NOT secure. Also, they're really good on the phone and don't mind checking things out and spending a little time making you happy.

I have placed two seperate orders with them, one for the Eggen and one for the Harding, both times everything was brilliant.

I wish you luck :wink:

Joe

Mar 6, 2005
London
I bought a Helle Eggen when I was in Norway last year. It was frighteningly sharp, and stayed that way for ages, but once it lost its edge I have tried and tried to re-sharpen it, without success. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my technique, as I haven't had this problem with other knives. Maybe it's something to do with the triple-laminate system they use. Any suggestions anyone?

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
demob69 said:
I bought a Helle Eggen when I was in Norway last year. It was frighteningly sharp, and stayed that way for ages, but once it lost its edge I have tried and tried to re-sharpen it, without success. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my technique, as I haven't had this problem with other knives. Maybe it's something to do with the triple-laminate system they use. Any suggestions anyone?

I have owned a Helle Eggen for around two years now, I use it as a hunting knife, mainly for preparing rabbit and squirrel, I have sharpened the blade using the Spyderco tri-sharp maker with 'shave sharp results. I found setting the cutting stones on the 30 degree angle gave better results than the 40. I use a Nomark ceramic in the field which is good for touching up if I chop through too many bones.. :eek:

Dazz

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Squidders said:
Someone once said that the blade is the same as the Helle Harding, it's not... it's much bigger and heavier.

Which one is bigger and heavier? I thought the blade in the Eggen is slightly shorter than the Harding. I'm guessing the blade on the Eggen is wider. Is it thicker as well?

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Please guys. No more links for companies selling knives. Please!

If I get another knife my wife -will- divorce me :rolleyes:

Simon (Trying to resist moving to the dark side)

Edit- Resist the 'dark side'?? Who am I kidding????
1 plastic handled Mora
1 classic Mora
2 Grohmann boat knife kits (one assembled, one still waiting)
1 Allan Blade Packpal
1 Allan Blade Chipmunk (On order)
2 Svord Peasant folders (On order)
1 Frosts Laplander full-tang blade (Awaiting wood for the scales)

I'm so near the the dark side of the force (AKA BritishBlades)that I think I need fitting for a black full-face helmet and cape :rolleyes:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hoodoo said:
Which one is bigger and heavier? I thought the blade in the Eggen is slightly shorter than the Harding. I'm guessing the blade on the Eggen is wider. Is it thicker as well?

Hoodoo: I just got them both out and the Eggen is bigger in every way... although only a few mm longer it's much wider and thicker.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Interesting. Good to know. Ragweed forge has the Helle Harding listed with a 4" blade and the Eggen with a 3 7/8" blade. My Harding measures 3 15/16". :D

What is the length of your Eggen?

Edit: Ooops! Just reread your post and saw that you mentioned that it's a few mm longer. Okeedoke. :D

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
How does the knife perform? It looks like a great knife, but I was put off buying one when I was last after a hard-user knife because I'd heard horror stories about Helle knives from a few sources and didn't quite fancy a trip to A&E.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Rhapsody said:
How does the knife perform? It looks like a great knife, but I was put off buying one when I was last after a hard-user knife because I'd heard horror stories about Helle knives from a few sources and didn't quite fancy a trip to A&E.

My Eggen and my girlfriends Harding are both brilliant knives... mine gets a fair bit more use than my girlfriends and I've had no problems at all.

I also haven't heard any horror stories so what's the score?

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I have to agree with Simon. Stop it! It's calling me and SWMBO would kick my bottom if I got 'another' knife...and she does kung fu!

Unless you guys think these are bargains that it's stupid to pass up in which case I'd be honour bound to get one. :D

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
simonsays said:
Please guys. No more links for companies selling knives.

If I get another knife my wife -will- divorce me :rolleyes:

Your doing quite well Simon, all I've got is the Kellam knife given to us on the Greenhorn course, the two plastic handled Frost knives I got last week plus an Opinel no7 I picked up at the weekend.

The missus was not happy that I needed 'another' knife, it's a good job she doesn't shoulder surf, I've been building up a list of kit I 'really' need!

Simon.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Slimey said:
Your doing quite well Simon, all I've got is the Kellam knife given to us on the Greenhorn course, the two plastic handled Frost knives I got last week plus an Opinel no7 I picked up at the weekend.

The missus was not happy that I needed 'another' knife, it's a good job she doesn't shoulder surf, I've been building up a list of kit I 'really' need!

Simon.

Ummm, by my count thats 4 knives. Not -bad- going in just 6 weeks.......
Cheers,
Simon

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Treb said:
What kind of horror stories?

Most of them are about the handles splitting. I can't remember where I saw it, but I read about a man who went to stab the knife (I think it was a fjellkniven) into a tree or something (yeah, silly thing to do but it shouldn't be a problem for any decent knife) only to have the handle disintegrate and leave him in need of a fair few stitches! That's one story, but I've heard many people talk about the handles becoming loose over time, which as always struck me as a shame because the Helles look like such excellent bushcraft knives!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE