Heard about pike snaring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No you are right bogflogger - I'm not an angler - barbless hooks or not - I see no need to push metal through a sentient creatures mouth for my own enjoyment. I'm happy to hunt what I eat, but I see no point in impaling a creature because I think its fun. or causing the death of swans through the waste in my sport. Impaling the same creature twice is no cause for celebration in my view.

I'm well aware of the origins of fish ponds - I hope you are aware that they were created by the same society that thought bear bating was a good afternoon out!

I hunt what I eat - and nothing else. I see no need to injure creatures for my own pleasure and not to eat them. You think otherwise and what you do is legal. Fair play to you. What I do is legal too (shooting and snaring). My only point is that angling and causing injury to creatures is no place to take the moral high ground. Gouging the same creatures face twice in 15 minutes does nothing to convince me otherwise. Your mileage clearly DOES vary. Thats okay. Its just important to be clear that other people are as digusted by your hobby as you are with their method of taking food. Bushcraft is a broad church and hunting will always evoke strong reactions. When the animal rights lobby comes after your sport (and they are, trust me on this), you will need friends not enemies

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
None BF and if that was what you had done, I wouldn't have replied. However you saw the need to start drawing parralels to

Where are the threads about Gin Traps?

Would a thread about amputating a live deers leg be acceptable?

And even

IN FACT, there have been MANY instances where the same fish has been caught again within 15 Mins.

Good - so thats two holes able to admit infection you have munched through its face in quarter of an hour - hats off to you :eek:

Maybe fish are simply disposable commodities to you, but some of us actually have some respect for them.

Well if respecting something involves pushing a lump of metal through its face so you can drag it into a an atmosphere where it can't breathe and then trying to do it 4 times an hour by your own quote - yep, I don't respect wildlife like that. You don't even do it because you actually want the fish, but for your own amusement. :banghead:

You and I will never agree on this BF, my point is, why not put your own house in order before having a pop at others who at least want to eat what they catch?

Anyway - we'll never agree - why don't we agree to disagree for the sake of the forum or at least take it to PM?

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, time out gentlemen,

Since I'm involved in the thread I felt it only fair to discuss things with another Mod.
I quote, " it seems to me that most people that have an opinion have already expressed it in full so closing the thread will not disadvantage anyone."

The facts are; fishing by trap or guddling is illegal in the UK and BcUkK cannot be seen to condone or encourage breaking the law.
To avoid any further recrimminations I'm going to leave the thread as it stands, but locked.

Cheers,
Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE