Heading to Toronto this easter...things to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Maxed out the credit card on a family trip to Toronto this easter to stay with Friends. Anyone got any recommended sites to see? (Niagra is obviously on the list). Any bargains to be bought over there (bushbuddy maybe?)

M

Last edited:

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
You'll have a ball. It's a really fun place. Make sure you get a visit to the Mountain Equipment Co-op shop if you're keen on kit!

The Ontario Science Centre is worth a visit, and Canada's Wonderland is great fun if you have kids. Check out the CN Tower if you enjoy vertigo, and St. Lawrence Market is good for a browse, as is the waterfront area.

Enjoy the street food as well - there's plenty of good scram to be had from the street vendors (use common sense, obviously!).

Oh - and make sure you do the Niagra thing. It's properly awesome.

Have fun!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Head for Algonquin national park if you get the chance do some research before you go as there is loads of stuff of interest

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

Toronto itself is a great city keep your eye out for outdoorsy books and magazines

I was disappointed by Niagara falls due to the fact the whole place is has a Blackpool with big waterfall atmosphere rest of family loved it though

get one of these knives as a souvenir http://www.grohmannknives.com/

have a great time-in fact take me I wanna go back

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Buy some Carhartt workwear. Good stuff and way cheaper over there. Go to Tim Hortons as well, maybe go on a diet now to compensate for all the fast food! I could list loads of unhealthy things on my hit list.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If you look at Grohmann's website you will see their 'seconds' are sold off very cheaply. The knife kits are also good value and easy to assemble. Might be cheaper to get them to deliver to your friend's place for you to take home.

I am a complete Grohmann convert. I have a couple of Woodlores, a Marttinni puukko, and until recently an Enzo. I still prefer my Grohmann boat knife.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If you look at Grohmann's website you will see their 'seconds' are sold off very cheaply. The knife kits are also good value and easy to assemble. Might be cheaper to get them to deliver to your friend's place for you to take home.

I am a complete Grohmann convert. I have a couple of Woodlores, a Marttinni puukko, and until recently an Enzo. I still prefer my Grohmann boat knife.

I saw the kits, there's a good saving to be had - pity you can't just buy the blank, I don't really need the other bits and bobs.

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
If you have kids, they will love wandering around Queen Street west area, just west of City Hall-artsy, cool shops and great spot to people watch. The Islands there are nice to wander around with a short ferry trip to get there although the nude beach there may be a tad chilly that time of year! Yorkville is the name of the area where all the celebrities hang out and is just a few blocks from The Royal Ontario Museum. There are some lovely hiking trails through the city as well as within a short drive.
Its a lovely city and very safe to wander around anywhere day or night.
Have a good 'un.

FarPoint
-all those who wander are not lost-

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
If you are a canoeist, hire a car and drive to the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough. It is stunning! They even have Bill Mason's old canoe!

Another vote for Grohmann and the Mountain Equipment Co-op.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Well - got back today and a great time was had! Thanks for all the recommendations. We made good use of the Go trains and the Toronto city pass to add the Zoo and Casa Loma to the list below... I found everyone to be very friendly and polite, a great country.

. Make sure you get a visit to the Mountain Equipment Co-op shop if you're keen on kit!

Check out the CN Tower if you enjoy vertigo, and St. Lawrence Market is good for a browse.

Oh - and make sure you do the Niagra thing. It's properly awesome.

Have fun!

All done!

get one of these knives as a souvenir http://www.grohmannknives.com/

have a great time-in fact take me I wanna go back

Also done!

Buy some Carhartt workwear. Good stuff and way cheaper over there. Go to Tim Hortons as well, maybe go on a diet now to compensate for all the fast food! I could list loads of unhealthy things on my hit list.
I didn't get Carhartt - however marks work warehouse does some great kit - got hold of some heavy duty windriver zip offs. Did Tims many times..

I got the kit... couldn't resist, it's so different - makes a great souvenir.

... and is just a few blocks from The Royal Ontario Museum.
Also done

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE