Hangi ovens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mike J said:
Not allowed to take the stones from Chesel itself.Not sure if thats the law or local folk lore,but down at the Portland tail end its OK or at the other end near Little Sea.Never tried sweet potatoes must give them a try I have seen them in the shops.Just scrub and bake?
Just for information, it's actually illegal to take stones or indeed sand as well off of any beach in England with out proper permissions and Chesil Beach in particular is extremely protected

Description - Surrounding the centre is the Chesil Bank and the Fleet Nature Reserve which is protected for both wildlife and geology. Both are rare habitats and have been selected as a Special Protected Area (SPA) and a Special Area of Conservation (SAC). The Fleet is protected internationally as a RAMSAR site. Chesil Bank consists of a 17 mile bank of pebbles stretching from West Bay to Portland and protects the Fleet which is the largest regularly tidal lagoon in Britain covering a surface area of 4.9 sq km. The Chesil Beach Centre is owned by Weymouth and Portland Borough Council and The Illchester Estates, and manned by volunteers. The Reserve is managed by the Warden and volunteer staff.
from here so if caught they will throw the book at you.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
zackerty said:
Nothing quite like a nibble on crayfish on the beach at Kaikoura, waiting for the kumura ( sweet potato), carrots etc, and pork hangi to be ready...Montieth's Black beer, and a little fire for light... :)
..I am feeling strangely peckish... :)

Hence the name Kaikoura which means something like meal of crayfish. I envy you, kumera is one the things from home I really miss living in London. As far as I'm concerned it is the best sweet potato in the world.

Crayfish is pretty good too :p

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
...and my wife has just located some kumeras in a local supermarket. No hangi but the chimenea got put to good use this evening :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE