Hangi ovens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bombadil

Mike J said:
Could anyone tell me the best type of stones to use and also the ones to avoid.
I notice that you live in Dorset. A lot of chalk and flint round there, neither of which are good for this sort of cooking. (Chalk crumbles and flint explodes) What's the ground like in your area?
And while I'm on this note, I'm going to the Azores in a few weeks, where I'm looking forward to trying my hand at making one of the local dishes, a stew cooked in a sack by burying it in hot volcanic soil! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
bombadil said:
I A lot of chalk and flint round there, neither of which are good for this sort of cooking. (Chalk crumbles and flint explodes) :D

See when flint explodes, does it make good useable flakes? or just mince.
I know that cooked(calcined?) flint is sometimes used for a kind of cement, but have no idea how it's done.

Cheers,
Toddy

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Toddy, flint explodes into shards,basically due to expansion of water held within the flint, typically about 2.5%.
Chalk or shale is used to produce cement, never heard of flint being used.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ideally you'd use volcanic rock but I'd imagine it is quite difficult to find over here.

One alternative I've heard of is to use cut-up lengths of railway track although you need to be careful as they get hotter and don't hold the heat as well.

If you decide to try for rocks anyway go for smooth, round river stones. Hit them with a hammer and listen to the sound they make. You want rocks that make a fairly high-pitched ringing sound.

Good luck.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Huon said:
If you decide to try for rocks anyway go for smooth, round river stones.
Good luck.

Just don't get them out of the river, like Bushwacker bob said above, or they will have a bigger chance of exploding.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i have used granite stones heated in a fire for a sweat lodge with some success. the paving blocks from garden centres cost roughly 50p each and can be reused. i would steer clear of all river stones as i have seen go bang. scary stuff.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I read a book by Jean M Auel where flint is heated in a fire before knapping, changing the structure of the flint and making it better for knapping. She normally does a lot of research into her books, and her information is supposed to be spot on. Has anybody any experience of this?

Spamel

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Kia Ora Mike,

Here is the NZ government's take on the hangi:

http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/consumers/food-safety-topics/foodborne-illnesses/hangi-guide/

There's a bit in here on how to select stones and also how to make sure your river stones are OK.

Have you decided what you'll cook yet? Some surprising things work very well - we used to get good results with steamed puddings for example. Remember to layer your food with the stuff needing the longest cooking at the bottom.

Cheers,

Huon

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Thanks.

It is a great way to cook for lots of people. The food tastes amazingly good. Imagine a combination of steamed, smoked and baked.

Surprisingly until you think about it, many of the hangi experts back home tended to be teachers - hangis used to be popular at school fairs.

If you could get the OK from the people in charge of the space it would be worth trying at one of the gatherings. You need to watch nearby trees though as hangis for large numbers need a big fire to.

Cheers,

Huon

Mike J

Feb 24, 2005
Dorset
Thanks for the tips and the link.Looks like its the garden centre or a trip to chesel beach ( fairly near beach made up of boulders 100 to 300 mm)As for the food it will be roe or sika haunches.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Mike J said:
Thanks for the tips and the link.Looks like its the garden centre or a trip to chesel beach ( fairly near beach made up of boulders 100 to 300 mm)As for the food it will be roe or sika haunches.

I know the beach - a friend lives a mile or two away in Abbotsbury. I can't remember what sort of stones are there (I thought you weren't supposed to take them :rolleyes:)

Don't forget the veg, particularly sweet potatoes. Nobody in NZ would make a hangi without kumeras!

Mike J

Feb 24, 2005
Dorset
Not allowed to take the stones from Chesel itself.Not sure if thats the law or local folk lore,but down at the Portland tail end its OK or at the other end near Little Sea.Never tried sweet potatoes must give them a try I have seen them in the shops.Just scrub and bake?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi Mike,

For a hangi scrub and bake will be fine. If non-hangi you can also chip, boil or mash them if you like.

Let me know how you get on.

Huon

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Nothing quite like a nibble on crayfish on the beach at Kaikoura, waiting for the kumura ( sweet potato), carrots etc, and pork hangi to be ready...Montieth's Black beer, and a little fire for light... :)
..I am feeling strangely peckish... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE