Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Wayne said:
Hi

I just bought one from ebay.

any advice on pitching knots to use etc?

cheers,

You dont use any knots to put up a hennesy hammock, the instuructions should be printed on the bag. basicly you wrap the webbing strap around the tree and tension the line then wrap the line around the webbing strip and itself in a fig of eight (like you do on a washing line or on a boat) the friction between the line is all it needs to hold you up though it take a little while to get used to this fact.

as i said there should be a diagram of it on the side of the bag, be careful the first few times untill you have it sussed

could my two kids share one end to end?

Um probably not as one end has a slit for you to get in, your weight on the other ned forces the slit closed but if the weight was distributed over the slit (ie sleeping in it the wrong way around) you could possably fall out

You get in like this:

P1010024.jpg

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Or it might be usefulif you can't find any trees!!!
Roving Rich said:
Keep your bivvy bag and use that aswell in the hammock, as an extra layer on cold nights, to keep you toasty.
Cheers
Rich

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If you have a couple of poles you can pitch it as a tent. Probably a good idea to put a sleeping mat under it to protect the hammock underside from getting spiked from debris on the ground though.

:)
Ed

D

Duncs

Hmmm....I may be bit late to this debate but has anyone tried the Pyramid Eco Hammock/sleep system? How does it compare to the Hennessy models? Grateful for any thoughts.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I took my Hennessy out for its first full outing at the weekend. The scouts - and several of the other leaders were fascinated, and most wanted to know what it was like inside.

Saturday night was both wet and windy down my way, but the hammock didn't really rock and I stayed dry inside (surprising myself, although I really should have been more trusting...!). I was comfy with a 3 season bag wrapped around like a quilt and my coat as a pillow; my boots hung up on the centre string and pushed down the far end.

However when it wasn't raining the temp dropped, and I hadn't really prepared for that. I was losing a lot of heat downwards. Next time I'll try some of the remedies for this posted on here. Also about a mile away was a party which had music that went on all night. At about 2.30 I gave in and crawled into my tent (I had put it up as storage for activity stuff) and army bag, which still didn't block the noise form the party! 2 hours worth of sleep later it was time to get up again and get the Scouts moving...

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the next opportunity to test the the hammock - the weekend after Easter at the very latest!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Womble, the folks I bought mine from swear by having a large sheepskin in the hennessy to sleep on .
Duncs - From what i have seeen of the Eco hammock you need a forklift truck to move it and a PHD in quipu to put it up.
We couldn't suss it, it was very complicated compared to the Hennessy, and we couldn't hang the mozzy net without large gaps.
Its a good idea, hammock, basha and net combined, so each can be used individually as required. But as a hammock its not a patch on the hennessy (which incorporates all 3) and considerably more expensive.
I went out and bought a hennessy 2 days later :wink:
Cheers
Rich

D

Duncs

Thanks Rich - and for the welcome Womble! Where did you try the Eco system? I can't seem to download the clips from the Woodlore site to shed any light on it. :roll:

D

Duncs

Thanks Stew.
Does anyone have any experience with the Eco system or is everyone a Hennessy fan?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
If you come down to the NEC we will have some HH's on display and you can try them out, we just have to find some trees's nearby that's all!

But we have to take them down at night as we have to take them back to the campsite, to sleep in :shock:

Cheers.

Jack.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Well I had been won over by my Hennesey for the past 6 months then one night a couple of weeks ago it was -3degrees 3 am and my hammock deceided to fail along the seam with the mesh netting.
I was rudely awakened and spent the rest of the night sleeping with the dog next to the fire!
It is an explorer deluxe a-sym designed for 300lbs I think I need to check my weight!
These things are not indestructable so take care and I'm not 300 lbs.
Still love hammocking just hope my girlfriend can fix it with her sewing machine.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Brendan said:
Well I had been won over by my Hennesey for the past 6 months then one night a couple of weeks ago it was -3degrees 3 am and my hammock deceided to fail along the seam with the mesh netting.
I was rudely awakened and spent the rest of the night sleeping with the dog next to the fire!
It is an explorer deluxe a-sym designed for 300lbs I think I need to check my weight!
These things are not indestructable so take care and I'm not 300 lbs.
Still love hammocking just hope my girlfriend can fix it with her sewing machine.
Don't they come with a warranty against defects?

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Brendan,
If your girlfriend has a sewing machine, why don't you make one, my basic design is on BCUK. My current model has "mozzi-net, therma-rest pocket & stash pocket down the sides. The skies the limit, think of a feature you want and build it into the design.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE