Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Has anyone tried the Hennessy Hammocks- Lightweight nylon afairs you get in through a velcro slit in one end, with a sewn in mossy net over the top and a basha on a ridge line to keep you dry. A couple of friends swear by them. And with no poles to carry, so a lightweight option, no sleeping mat needed, no (little) trail as they're in the trees, and a basha option if there is nowhere to sling it?
Iam sorely tempted, but shipping cost is a bit steep though still cheaper than the UK RRP, + I dont like waking up shaped like a Banana!
Any feedback?
Rich

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hi Rich

i have used the hennesy hammocks and they are the best sleeping set up there is!! much lighter than carrying a rollmat, tarp, mozzey net etc
and far more comfortable

I have used three different types of hennesy hammock and the best is the ultralight backpacker A-sym (the tarps on the older designs are not wide enough)

i have slept in this for 5 months on the islands of mauritius and reunion
and sat out a force 4 cyclone in it.

dont worry about sleeping in a bananna shape, in a hennesy hammock you lie diagonally across the hammock and this means your back is stright
you'll quickly work this out when you have your own

Stuart

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
OK very funny :lol:

no i dont recommend using a knife in your hammock

for those wondering what we're talking about i once slipped and cut a bloody great big hole in my hamock :oops:

Thanks for bringing that up Gary :rant:

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
>> http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

Take a look at the Hennessy Website it tells you how to use it in colder climates.
You can buy direct from Hennessy it seems they have a special offer on at the moment
I have the Explorer Asym, which I bought directly from them good service and fast delivery.
They seem to have a supply in the UK which they send out, but mine was sent directly fron Canada and only took 4 days to arrive and that included the weekend.

Mar 2, 2004
groovy,looks like its cheaper to buy direct from the states. anyway m8 how do you rate them are they really better than a tent from the viewpoint of comfort? are they really hard wearing?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I dont go anywear there are trees without my hennesy!

P1010001.jpg

P1010055.jpg

Mar 2, 2004
lol.i think thats just great m8. im convinced, just by the way stuart is lounging in front of his fire. how easy does it get? gotta get one. are they completly waterproof? does yours have a flysheet [ is it standard] just one question...do you just leave your rucksack underneath you . how tough is the materiel?

P

Pathos

Hi
silly question but..... why pitch over water? surely insects, lower temp noise etc would make this unsuitable or am i missing something really obvious? :-?

Great pics though, the sort of thing that would (and is) tempting me to get one myself. Thanks for putting them up. I have used hammocks in the amazon (on holiday) years back and really enjoyed the experience. Contrary to popular belief they are hard to fall out of even after a taste or two of the local fire water :)

Paul

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
silly question but..... why pitch over water? surely insects, lower temp noise etc would make this unsuitable or am i missing something really obvious?
It was done just for the pic..... It does make a nice photo :)

Ed

P

Pathos

Ed said:
It was done just for the pic..... It does make a nice photo :)

Ed

fair enough!! Yes a nice pic, also very low profile using the land contours to make it hard to spot which is what I was guessing was the purpose. Yep, i think too much :oops:

Paul

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
are they completly waterproof?

the tarp which can be seen over the top is compleatly waterproof
the base is not as this would cause you end up with a sweaty back

does yours have a flysheet [ is it standard]

yes the fly sheet can be seen in the first picture and is standard

do you just leave your rucksack underneath you

you can put it in a bin bag underneath, but i pack extreamly light so i just use my very small back as a pillow inside (its worth noting that the hennesy hammock weights only around 800g including the tarp)

how tough is the materiel?

it doesnt feel like it should be very tough especially the tarp which is made of silicon nylon, however its much tougher than it looks, after a drunk sugercane worker crashed into mine on a motobike it showed no damage apart from snaping one of the thin guide lines which keeps the tarp taut (which had wrapped around the bike wheel)

It also survived a cyclone, but i did finally damage one when i dropped my knife inside one (dont use your knife in your hammock! :oops: )

why pitch over water?

That was done Just for the photo to show that you can pitch a hammock in places where you could never pitch a tent boggy ground, rocks, water, very steep slopes etc

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Blimey this an old thread !?
I have since become the proud owner of a hennessy, so far its been fun. But I look forward to some serious use now the weather is warming up.
Cheers
Rich

Mar 2, 2004
im gutted, why didnt someone tell me about these earlier.the reason im gutted is that i have just bought two gortex bivvy bags with a view to sleeping out in the rough .now i gotta get one of these hammocks as they look the buisness!!! could my two kids share one end to end?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE