Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I’d get on to them, their customer service is excellent and I'm sure you will have no problem getting it sorted out.

:biggthump

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
Sorry to hear about that. My a-sym exped ridge line snapped the second time I used it because I pulled myself up on it rather than push along the bottm, I rang the company I bought it from and they asked me to send the hammock back to them and they would send a new one to me. Anyway the point of this ramble is that you could give your suppliers a ring and see if it is covered by a guarentee as that rip should'nt have happened after just six months. Hope you get it sorted one way or another.
Taz

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
TAZ said:
Sorry to hear about that. My a-sym exped ridge line snapped the second time I used it because I pulled myself up on it rather than push along the bottm, I rang the company I bought it from and they asked me to send the hammock back to them and they would send a new one to me. Anyway the point of this ramble is that you could give your suppliers a ring and see if it is covered by a guarentee as that rip should'nt have happened after just six months. Hope you get it sorted one way or another.
Taz
Mine did the same thing and they offerred to replace it but it had snapped at the knot so i just made a new ridge line with a clip at one end so I could unclip the ridge line if I wanted to sit on the hammock like a chair without straining the ridge line.

Unforunately I have to say my dealings with Hennessy were less than excellent and I came close to having my credit card company get me a refund. The Hammock itself was fine but I was told it was on its way from London but it was not posted for another two weeks, after many emails from me querieing where it was, all unanswered. Then the Snake Skins were missing and no one would answer my emails. When the ridge line snapped I sent a really snotty email telling them how unhappy I was, in no uncertain terms. I then got a reply saying they would replace it, I declined and said I had fixed it anyway. They told me the Snake Skins would not fit the Hex Fly but had been sent so they would refund me the cost of the Snake Skins and I could keep them free of charge. I was quite happy about this as it seemed a fair outcome. Unfortunately the Snake Skins have never turned up and Hennessy have not replied to any of the four emails I sent letting them know they had not arrived. I did get the refund though so I can't complain too much but still I am not in the least impressed with their dealings with me.

I would recommend their hammocks but not their service.

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
A summation of my experience with hammocks...

They're different and I like that. I find them more comfortable than the ground. They're not better than a bivy sack or tent, just better suited for some uses.

They're not any lighter than a tent when you factor in the additional thermal protection you need at low temps, but some models have the advantage that you can include or exclude various components to match the weather and bug situation.

For thermal protection on the bottom, the closed-cell foam pad works very well. Underquilts also work well. They have the advantage of letting you enjoy the "raw hammock" feeling. (Foam pads stiffen the hammock bed, and make it less flexible.) In my experience, reflective mylar (space blankets), reflectrix, and various combinations of blankets and pads are not effective.

The Hennessy Hammock is the star when it comes to a rugged, light, complete shelter system. Easy to pitch. Nothing missing and nothing extra. However, they are not as versatile as other hammocks. Since the ridgeline and mosquito netting are permanent you cannot use the HH as a simple lounger. You're either inside it or your're not. You can't set your coffee on the ground and sip away at it as you swing lazily beneath the open sky.

I prefer hammocks with a separate (double bottomed) base, mosquito net, and tarp. I refer to these as Speer type hammocks. You can easily make a test one for yourself without sewing a stitch:

http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

I also like the Mosquito Hammock:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com

This is a heavier than the Hennessy, but every bit as good. Also a complete system, with a permanent bug net. However, the bugnet zips down the side for entry and egress. Also, the hammock can be turned over (bugnet down) and used as a lounger.

The Mosquito Hammock is my favorite manufactured hammock for overnight stays in the forest when the extra weight isn't a big factor. Otherwise, I like my variation of a Speer hammock, assembled with various purchased or home-made components. Finally, for light, fast trips, the HH is king.

Bear

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Duncs said:
Thanks Stew.
Does anyone have any experience with the Eco system or is everyone a Hennessy fan?
I have the full Eco system and am in mid review of it now ... but to summarize:

- It's a really robust bit of kit. No thin lines or plastic parts to break.
- Also, it's big. Really caverous and it wraps you up to protect you from the wind and rain.
- The separate tarp is a real bonus. You can get the tarp up and be underneath it setting up in minutes.
- It's really robust! Have I already said that?! Thick webbing, cordura parachute grade material, metal rings. It's not light but I doubt there's anything to break
- It's easy to get in and out of. I'm a pretty big guy and while I don't mind crawling through a hole in the end of a Hennessey, there's something satisfying getting in and out of an Eco normally.
- No annoying velcro!
- No separate tree huggers

I love it! But having said that, if you want a lighter package, then you can look at the Hennessey.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Thanks for the advice, I would get onto hennessey but I had modified the hammock by sewing a couple of strips of velcro onto it to attach a cold weather system. This has not affected the area that failed but I cannot exchange it after I have been dabbling. It should not be a problem to fix as the area is only about 9 inches long and I exited before any serious damage was done... I hope!

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
MagiKelly said:
I would recommend their hammocks but not their service.

I have to say that they did eventually sort out my hammock problem but they dont return your mail and they do tell you they will do things and then dont bother.

Product - Good
Customer services - KAK

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
rapidboy said:
I have to say that they did eventually sort out my hammock problem but they dont return your mail and they do tell you they will do things and then dont bother.

Product - Good
Customer services - KAK
I am quite relieved to hear that as I thought it was just me. Especially since they get such positive feedback. Still it would have been nice to get the free snake skins.

Hello,

I'm Peter_pan...I got here via note and order from Magikelly...I'm a hiker and co owner of Jacks R Better LLC.....we are at www.jacksrbetter.com.

Our story is on the web site...

If you want warmth and comfort in hammocks check us out...

Hikers in half of our states,japan,canada,australia, uk and scotland are using our stuff....no returns have been made of our gear and lots of good press....not a bad first year.

Lots of great hammock info at www.whiteblaze.net ... super site check it out...no fee...good info.

Enjoy " Hanging Out".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE