Hadrian's Wall Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am looking for advice here!
A mate of mine is coming over from the States in late spring/early summer and the plan is that we walk the Roman Wall from East to West.
He is even more ancient and decrepid than I am so it will be a lightweight, B&B based walk.
Does anyone have any advice on where to stay - our budgets will be tight - where to avoid - we are not up for luxury but do not want to pay for more than basic accom - and the "must see" diversions from the path.
As an ML summer holder (for the past 30 years) and exped leader of some experience, I am not realy looking for hiking advice but more the bits in between the actual walking bits.
I know that a lot of you live near the Wall so I am assuming a bit of local knowledge....
Thanks in advance.
John

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi John, don't know if this helps, but i spent a couple of days "on the wall" with some friends who were walking, east to west, they camped and used one of the pack horse companies to move their bags, so they only had day sacks.

stewpot

On a new journey
Dec 26, 2008
cheshire
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/

This may help. Pretty bleak part of the country, not my favourite. You are no longer allowed to walk 'on' the wall,
though people do, you will have some eagle eyed warden chasing you. Take him somewhere pretty! You live in a beautiful area, youve got lovely coastal walks. Snowdonia is incredible, catch the train, take him down one of the mines. wherever you go in Wales, he will be knocked out. Incredible beaches. I wish I was there instead of boring old Mexico!

Stew

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:) It is my mates choice - its a history thing combined with a walk that takes you right across the width of England:)
So far he and I have trekked in the deserts and mountains of South Africa, the hills and woods of New England and the Jungles of Thailand but now he fancies the Roman Wall....
We also hope to spend time with some of the Glaswegians we took trekking in Africa.....
That map looks realy useful - cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE