Grey Squirrel Recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Grey squirrel is my favorite game meat. When I was young, my mother would make them into pot pie. It is a recipe I still use. Five or six grey squirrels to a pie.

Boil the meat until it falls off the bones. De-bone it. Place meat, potatoes, carrots, peas (and whatever else you think should be in a pie) with a little flour, salt, and pepper in a pie crust. Cover the meat and vegetables with more pie dough. Cook at 350 degrees for about 45 to 55 minutes.

Very good.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
tomtom said:
Reds are a protected species, and as such no one should take it from this thread that it is ok to kill and/or eat them, im certain that william# was talking about Greys in his post!

It is just the opposite where I live. Reds (pine squirrels) can be taken any time - with no license. They are considered a nuisance.

Greys require a small game hunting license and can only be taken from Sept. 15 (or there abouts) until May 1 (of course, you don't often see them out in the winter).

As an interesting aside, I'm going on a ten day canoe/hunting trip in Alaska next summer - with an old friend. He will be hunting grizzley bear and moose for the larder. We will be hunting with flintlocks - due to some kind of hunting season requirement. I will only be getting a small game license which will allow me to take things like rabbit, squirrel, game birds and (this kills me) black bear. I'm not planning on taking one - unless he is able to use it for food.

Black bear considered "small game?" Well, every place is different. When in Rome....

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE