green parrot: edinburgh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
At a friends last night, and saw a green parrot fly past the window. Friends say it's been there a couple of years, appears to fly around with a pigeon.
Unusual sight..
Any other creatures out of their "normal" habitat?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
We've got a green parrot around our way in Kent that puts in an appearance every now and then.

And a local newspaper ran a story last summer (I think) about a large Python living on a local heath/recreation ground. It bit a woman's dog on the face so she alerted the authorities. As far as I know they never managed to find or catch it. I'm pretty sure the winter would have killed it though :(

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Hi All of the "inner m25 ring" around london has a parakeet population we often have 15-20 birds in the surrounding gardens and they are moving out into sussex etc . we also have a few Turtels in the local ponds also caught a gold fish in the same pond . ian

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A few years ago a black pet rabbit appeared from somewhere on a pals farm. It was pretty funny really, you'd walk across a field and all the rabbits would scatter apart from one wee black furball that would hop round in circles wondering what all the panic was about :rolleyes:.

Haven't seen him for ages but he must have settled in alright for a while as there's quite a population of little black rabbits in the area now :).

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The ringed necked (or rose ringed) parakeets were introduced into this country in the 1960s from india and are doing pretty well over here. Esher rugby club is the best place to see them when they come to roost in the popular trees there.
I once saw a group of them attacking a heron (like crows do) which seems to indicate they are territorial. They are also now recognised as britains most colourful bird...................Jon

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The trees at Bushey Park near Hampton Court, on the Thames, are full of green parakeets. The climate they come from is the base of the Himalays I believe so out climate suits them well. They are very terratorial as far as other breeds are concerned..

So, they seem to be all over the place.
:eek: Here in Brussels we have a ringnecked parakeet population of about 2000 couples. It started from a small zoo near the atomium that closed down in 1980. They are detrimental to the local fauna but way beyond control now.

In the South of the city (Ukkel), there is another parakeet species gone feral (monk parakeet? don't know the E. name) The birds build large weaved nests, like multifloored buildings.
Weird sight in spring.

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
same here in New York City Big apartment structures and expanding in each genaration .My first sighting was in Brooklyn NY in 1974 as I was drinking my Sunday morning coffee and sharpening the kitchen knive's Lo and behold a Green Parrot! :eek: rubbed my eye's and Gone! no one belived me :rolleyes:

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
If you go to 'Franks Bridge' in Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria, you will see parakeets flying around. I have regularly seen a dozen or more of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE