Green obsessed...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
'When a man is trying to live another life entirely, he naturally wants to appear as romantic as his conscience will let him. It may be an old checkered shirt or a batterd hat. Whatever it is, it is usually something in which he thinks he looks or feels particularly well. If it has once become part and parcel of his outdoors life, he will wear it till it falls apart, rather than get a more serviceable garment.'
Sigurd Olson 1928

Very true. I'm very attached to my old Akubra. And it's not green!
mepic.bmp
[/IMG]

swamp donkey said:
Moterbikeman:- We are endanger of dragging this thread right off subject and I aplogise to any one who alreay thinks that. My last word is that my experience is very very different to yours and is based on being paid to be in the countryside around the country all year around 4 out of 5 working days and 89 paid nights under tarp last year. I now do not drive on green lanes even though I have more right to do so than almost any one. We wil have to agree to disagree but is your moterbike green :) :p

Swamp Donkey
I'll apologise for going off topic as well. I do get irritated when people start making sweeping generalisations about a subject it's obvious they have no experiance of.

And no, my current bike's not green. It's a deep burgundy :D

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Doc said:
'When a man is trying to live another life entirely, he naturally wants to appear as romantic as his conscience will let him. It may be an old checkered shirt or a batterd hat. Whatever it is, it is usually something in which he thinks he looks or feels particularly well. If it has once become part and parcel of his outdoors life, he will wear it till it falls apart, rather than get a more serviceable garment.'
Sigurd Olson 1928

Very true. I'm very attached to my old Akubra. And it's not green!
mepic.bmp
[/IMG]
Very dashing Doc ;)

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
BorderReiver said:
I like green :D .Tend to wear muted,subdued colours most of the time anyway.
My dress kilt is muted tartan,(and it is green :p )they don't have to be highly coloured.

My kilt is a bit of a cheat really. Its made with modern dyes but has been dyed to look like what my green clan tartan would look like if made from natural dyes and had aged through use and faded. So its mostly browns. Very subdued.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
dave750gixer said:
My kilt is a bit of a cheat really. Its made with modern dyes but has been dyed to look like what my green clan tartan would look like if made from natural dyes and had aged through use and faded. So its mostly browns. Very subdued.

These weathered colours are beautiful though, nothing screams but there's a calmness to them. My arisaid and my menfolks kilts are of this type of tartan but of soft greens, blues and rusts.

I spent an afternoon with the Dyemaster at one of the tartan weaving mills many years ago and he explained just how thorough the research was to create the correct tones and shades for these aged looking plaids. Fascinating. :) I spin, dye and weave and I see the softening of the colours over time, and they are still lovely. A couple of hundred years ago a dyer was called up in front of the Kirk Session to account a complaint made against him for creating and selling a cloth that faded. He responded that if the good lord, "couldna mak a web that dinna pale", how could they expect him to?
Cheers,
Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
dave750gixer said:

I wouldn't call that a cheat.Sounds great,any pictures?

Unless you are very rich you need to take cheaper shortcuts to achieve the end result you want.I would love a natural dyed kilt but unless the right six numbers come up there isn't much chance of that. :rolleyes:

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
When I was in the Amazon, I had a faded red shirt which seemed to be a flashing beacon for miles around to the local hummingbirds who mistook me for a beautiful flower ! Not the first time !! hee hee :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE