Government Consultation - Shotgun Licensing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
They want to make them section 1 firearms, why?

Probably because the general rule of thumb is you have a general 'right' to own a SGC whilst for a Firearms licence you have to show a reason.

For a SGC they have to show good reason why you can't own one.
For a Licence you have to show good reason why you need one.

I'm grossly over simplifying it but

Reactions: gg012

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Always handy to have a knee jerk reaction when some silly prat does something atrocious with a shotgun.... forgetting that had things been dealt with correctly at the time, under the current laws, he shouldn't have even had one!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So if you have no good reason to have a shotgun why would you want a license for one?

BTW I'm sure ppl with family or friends killed by a nutter with legal shotgun would not see gun control in response to actual incidents as a knee jerk reaction. Often it's the victims or survivors or family that want such changes.

Reactions: nigelp

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
So if you have no good reason to have a shotgun why would you want a license for one?
That's not what it means. To have a section 1 firearm you need 'good reason' which tends to mean land to shoot over and a reason to (e.g. vermin control) or be a member of a target shooting club. Whereas a section 2 shotgun you don't need to have land or be a member of a specific club because many holders will shoot over all sorts of different land, clay grounds etc.

This is something that has worked well for years and the police can still stop someone from having a shotgun.

Reactions: gg012

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon

BTW I'm sure ppl with family or friends killed by a nutter with legal shotgun would not see gun control in response to actual incidents as a knee jerk reaction. Often it's the victims or survivors or family that want such changes.

Of course they wouldn't, typically because many don't have a simple understanding of the laws that are already in place. The most recent incident involving a lunatic targeting random people in the southwest should have been avoided had the laws already in place been utilised. It was an evidence of police error, not law error.

We see the same sorts of things with knife laws... how many law abiding normal folks find things get totally changed to the point of ruining their hobby when the laws in place were potentially ample at the time.

Reactions: gg012 and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Of course they wouldn't, typically because many don't have a simple understanding of the laws that are already in place. The most recent incident involving a lunatic targeting random people in the southwest should have been avoided had the laws already in place been utilised. It was an evidence of police error, not law error.

We see the same sorts of things with knife laws... how many law abiding normal folks find things get totally changed to the point of ruining their hobby when the laws in place were potentially ample at the time.

Well put - some people need to open their brains.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@TeeDee
Thank you.
Its one of those sorts of topics that really gets my goat. I totally understand this desire to be safe from raging lunatics, but legally owned gun crime is so isolated and numerically low in this country, the desire for tighter more restrictive laws just seems silly.
I'm not boy in blue and I don't pretend to know how hard their job must be, but from someone who is merely an armchair expert on the matters, the thoughts of additional efforts only suggest more paperwork and potential for mistakes...

I firmly believe we need to stop asking for more and more rules to keep us safe... we are safe... for the majority this is one of the safest places to live on the planet... No natural predators, no natural disasters, crime really isn't an issue for most, not significant crime anyway, our roads are decent, our driving standards are fantastic (despite our daily comments sure...), we live in a democracy (haha).
It's high time we learn to be adults and stop needing our hands held by some higher authority... certainly not if its a government anyway..

I'm also not a loon worried about government control, I just don't think the shower could run a bath...

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
Hi,

The Government are running a consultation at the moment about Shotgun licensing. (The subtext being that as always they want to make it more difficult to get one.)

It closes on 23 August.

This may be of interest to some members.

https://www.gov.uk/government/…commendations-for-changes
Only recently, I took the opportunity to look into S/gun permits. Hadn't realised until that point that a big difference exists between a F/arms cert and s/gun licence. The latter is a legal right unless the local police can find any reason why you shouldn't. Former? no legal right to a consent. So I guess the likelihood of it becoming more difficult as you say, will all be down to a change of emphasis rather that hurdles.

Besides, explore the Adder and its brethren. No licensing whatever just >18 years old. Watch Georg Sprave on YT. I note an interesting revelation by Andy's Air Guns on YT recently. Seems his first encounter with X/bows -
. Note his amazement. And he hasn't handled a really, Really powerful unit.......yet. I'm working up from 80m and at that, 1.5" from bull. I'm aiming (forgive me) to get to 150m and perhaps further:

Sorry, duplication can't seem to remove 2nd. But see:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE