Gluten free ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
Screen note says BBC iPlayer works only in the UK due to rights issues.
Do you suppose there's some sort of work-around so I can watch?

Yes, there is. I use tunnel bear most weeks - very neat tool/app and 500mb free, so should be ok for a you tube video.

thanks
Tim B

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Screen note says BBC iPlayer works only in the UK due to rights issues.
Do you suppose there's some sort of work-around so I can watch?

Use a VPN and select a UK server. It's pretty easy. I got a 3yr plan for £20. I'm getting fed up with the BBC stomping about the place when the likes of Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc are outdoing them on decent content most of the time while an arthritic old dinosaur still restricts access.

BT are next. Rant over.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The youtube link did not work then? Less than 50 pence a day for a UK TV licence is superb value for money IMHO as is t not just the TV content but also one of the worlds most used web sites, radio stations and news services.

Rant over.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
rik_uk3 = the YouTube link runs just fins and dandy, thatnk you very much.
I am surprised to hear a well educated individual hork up such rubbish.
They make movies of Bull_Shirt and the realk stuff won't sell?

I need to watch a lot of it a second time just be be assured that I'm listening to the ravings of a lunatic.
What an insult to his university.
I'm just a retired biology professor with 30+ years teaching and researching in biochemistry.

passer

Jun 20, 2016
lancs
I watched with interest.
The relationship between food and health is a ongoing discussion. The clean eating advocatees, are the latest in a long line of people with THE answer.
The Mediterranean diet is still recognised as a good basis for most to use as a starting point.
However, Dr Yeo exposed the extremes some will go to in order to make money. This can make vulnerable, desperate people easy prey. I hope the American millionaire reflects on this, whilst in prison.

On the op, gluten free for some is necessary, which can lead to eating more processed foods. Not the ideal diet. Given the opportunity I would happily go back to eating gluten.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I eat gluten rich food then my guts get upset. If my guts are upset then it triggers the RA inflamation in my joints…..and I developed a tummy ulcer using anti-inflammatories.
It's not a nonsense for me to avoid something that upsets my guts.
I can't digest dairy very well, so I don't drink milk. Same thing really.

I am not 'allergic' to either gluten or dairy though, I'm not coeliac/ intolerant to that extent.

That's where much of the controversy comes in. Many folks genuinely feel better simply by avoiding some foodstuffs.
It's not eating 'clean', it's just eating by choice.

Personally I'm glad the gluten free thing has taken off because suddenly I can shop easily when before hand it was oats, corn, rice and peasemeal and make it myself. Now I just visit the supermarket :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you are healthy it is not possible to eat to be healthier?
Healthier than healthy?
If you have food related problems like some of us, then of course we need to adopt a diet to minimize our problems, but if you have none you do not need to.

I jave friends that eat various "exotic" stuff because it is 'healthy'. They can never answer me when I ask why that particular foodstuff is ''healthy'.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Watched again.
1. The anatomy and the biochemistry of a human tells me that I am an omnivore. The design of my teeth matches that.
There are some essential things I need, such as a few of the 20 common amino acids, a variety of vitamins and minerals.
2. Humans are enormously variable in their genetic capacity to utilize foodstuffs. As in good, poor and intolerant for my lack of better words.
3. In this day and time, the available diversity of foods allows for dietary experimentation.

I'll suggest that everybody eat as great a variety of foods as their onmivorous capacity allows.
A very tight focus is bound to be missing something useful.

You're right, Janne: How would I feel if I was healthier than healthy?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
I agree with both of you :D though I would add in that humanity has another strand to it, and that the 'squick' factor makes some foods, regardless of how 'healthy' they may be for us, to be totally a No! to some or many or most.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Last night, I thought about this as I prepared supper. Local potatoes & carrots (steamed), shredded cabbage for a slaw salad, and ruffed grouse (most similar to your UK red grouse.)
I cut up and deboned the grouse with flint blades, as I might have done, a thousand years ago. Some sea salt, some Italian mixed herbs, some fresh Rosemary that I grow.
It is the end of January and very much winter at 53N in the mountains. I believe we are doing OK.

Toddy: If I'm not prying, can you manage to eat durum/semolina pasta?

2 things: first, I have some sort of a gluten addiction. A dinner like that and a piece of toast for dessert.

Second, I have some biochemistry friends messing with the 50-60 proteins in Group III bread wheats (gluten is only one of those).
They are coming around to the notion that the root problem isn't gluten, it's something else.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, sorry Richard, I haven't. I'm trying to tidy up my desk :eek: :eek: and keeping myself distracted by nipping in and out of the forums.
You should see the mountain of stuff I've cleared out though :approve:
I will watch when I've got my mind in gear to concentrate :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered about that Robson Valley, I really have. I can occasionally give in and delight in the pleasure of eating Scottish bread…..that's Scottish plain bread and cheugh rolls….these are long slow rise breads, sixteen hours rising, and nothing like most modern factory breads….and so long as I don't do it often I get away without the discomfort. I can't manage ordinary pasta with ease though, and gluten free's not that brilliant. It does, but I'm glad my family aren't very keen on pasta, tbh.
I used to be fond of couscous, but I just use quinoa instead these days. The corn couscous isn't as good.

Ordinary pan bread or the usual supermarket fayre makes me feel very unwell, but those are generally made so quickly, sometimes about an hour start to finish, that there's no slow rising time, no time for things to change.
I don't know. I don't know if it's that which makes the difference. I do know I can eat 'some' of the Scottish breads though, while the others just aren't worth trying.
If someone susses out what's the change, and what makes this type more edible (and I am not the only person by a long way who finds this) then there's a market there :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The 14 species of wheat, Triticum sp., can be separated into three groups, according to the total numbers of chromosomes.
Every last one of the cross-pollinations in the wild has been documented and duplicated.
Group I (diploid), Group II (tetraploid) and Group III (hexaploid).
As well as the anatomies and milling/physical properties changing, the biochemistry of the seeds, the storage proteins, has changed as well.
I can't remember all the common names but just a few. And then, there are varieties bred within economically valuable individual species.

The real key is likely to be the specific source of flour. And that could mean the presence or absence of some protein that your body doesn't like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE