Ghillie Suits - Have I gone too far?....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Thanks Elines, It is nothing specifically discovered by me, but just what I have picked up from a lifetime of hunting.

I Turkey hunt and they are the most elusive thing imaginable. When turkey hunting, I go all out with good camo and sometimes use a homemade ghillie suit that i pack in, put on, take off and pack out when done.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
So every one keeps saying they are not needed for stalking animals or tracking.

Well, guess the Ghillie suit part of it escapes most peoples notice - they were designed for Ghillies to stalk and shoot deer in, a worn / portable shooting blind if you will.

It then was put into military service during the Boer war, and built upon in WW1.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
When I hunted in Florida I used Real Tree patterned camo any bare skin I would cover with army camo wax. I would also wash my camo by hand with a non UV soap then dry in the spare room away from odors. Once dry I would then put in a plastic bag with pine neadles and grass. I wouldnt but the clothes on until I arrived at the hunting area and would change out before I left in the eavening and put back in the bag with the pine and grass. I would not use any soaps or deoderents that had any scents in them and never fill my fuel tank on the way to the hunt.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Why not get a Ninja suit instead? People said there were a few at the bushmoot, but I saw not one the whole time I was there - definitely the way to not be seen...
(And anyway, I now think that all men should have at least one ninja suit.. they were rather nice... the one's I didn't see I mean :D )

Lol...they're also good fer paintballin''...:)........But the old fella in the local shop nearly had a kitten when I went t' get some chocy supplies...

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Why not get a Ninja suit instead? People said there were a few at the bushmoot, but I saw not one the whole time I was there - definitely the way to not be seen...
(And anyway, I now think that all men should have at least one ninja suit.. they were rather nice... the one's I didn't see I mean :D )

Shhhhhhhh;)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
a lot of animals see in a sepia tint not colour so you could wear bright orange if you wanted. the essence is not to look out of place. hiding from animals you use the same rules as hiding from man. a ghillie hat or suit was so that when the stalker popped his head up over the folds in the ground it wasnt obvious that it was a human.

so shape, shadow, shine, silhouette, smell and sound are the general givaways along with movement. the main thing you need to disguise is your head and shoulders so a net/scrimscarf/shemagh/mossie net should brake up your shape. a poncho makes a good sit shelter and along with a headnet will keep you disguised well enough as long as you dont smell too human or get the hiccups :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Unnatural noise is probably your worst enemy - you can have the best camo pattern there is and it'll be useless if it's made of nylon and make more noise than a jack russell licking the inside of a crisp packet.

There's a reason lovat tweeds have been beloved of stalkers for centuries. Quiet, dull green pattern perfect for dawn/dusk/twilight, warm, water and wind resistant, but above all is quiet.

Not to mention, that you'll resemble a reasonably respectable country squire (laird if you live on the other side of the wall) instead of a member of Hamas.

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE