Ghillie Suits - Have I gone too far?....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Thinking of buying a Ghillie Suit to help with the tracking/stalking. mainly used in my local woods in cambs. Its a NNR SSSI.

My girlfriend says I have gone too far and can't have one.

Have I?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Well, having spent 20 minutes tonight stood out in the middle of a woodland path, wearing jeans and a black microfleece jacket, stood upright, watching a Fallow deer feeding about 10 meters away from me, I'd have to say .. why do you need one :lmao:

(or maybe I was just lucky :p )

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
How will it help? What are you trying to creep up on? Dressing up like a pile of mouldy leaves won't help much with tracking, surely?

Apart from the fact that you could probably make something, if you are really keen, such suits are hot, cumbersome, snag on all sorts of vegitation, and are only a basis for you adding your own, locally picked, materials. That is, if it is a real burlap creation. Those things covered in plastic leaves are pretty horrid, but not as bad as the ones covered in plastic camo net stuff. You can add noisy to any previous problem.

Do you already wear camo? Face mask, gloves?

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
A bit OTT, yea.
If things get that close, your smell can give you away.
As bikething said, cover your hands and face, maybe make a well concealled hide.
You can sneek up surprisingly close to deer / badgers etc even in everyday clothes, just try to keep downwind, and move slowly.

Gilley is a waste of money IMO for stalking, unless you want to be a paintball sniper......

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Thinking of buying a Ghillie Suit to help with the tracking/stalking. mainly used in my local woods in cambs. Its a NNR SSSI.

My girlfriend says I have gone too far and can't have one.

Have I?

Unless you happen to be operating with equipment such as this, then, yes, you've gone too far!
happy0009.gif

50cal2.png

Credit: Jeremy Wise.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Ghillie suits work great for human stalking but I would say not very good for wildlife watching. They are based on red deer stalker capes that were used many years ago but in this day and age of DPM very few stalkers use them anymore. They're hot, heavy, can be noisy, and catch every twig and snag, all in all a real pain. They are excellent however when trying to remain hidden from view or detection as stated from other highly skilled eyes searching for you at a distance.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
You do not need a ghillie suit to stalk., You don't even need camo, just a dark subdued material like olive drab. In my experience the number one thing that will give you away is movement. Don't be paranoid about movement, however, just remember that in nature, the wind blows and leaves and small branches move -- but not too much and not too suddenly.

Secondly, I would say white skin is your next biggest problem. Even if you are dark skinned, you still show up, particularly if sweating. You will glisten in the light. Cover up the skin. (just look at the two guys in the pic.) The white arms and faces are what you see first. The camo shirt is completely negated in the pic, by the white skin. Wear a long sleeved shirt, better in the woods anyway. Avoid shorts, (more white skin).

I don't know about in the U.K., but here in the states, you can buy baseball type caps with a built in sniper veil. They are sold for turkey hunting. You have got to cover up that face. You don't need to cut eye holes in the veil, just look through it. It seems odd at first but you get used to it quickly.

Up close animals see your eyes, remember they are partly white and they are wet and glisten. Almost all predators have large eyes. Animals are always watchful for eyes and large eyes in particular. I like to wear sunglasses to hide my eyes.

Animals will smell you. They will smell your natural odor, and they will smell soap, cologne, after-shave, etc. There are soaps available that will cancel out human odor. (for you and also for your clothes) If you don't have them, crush some local vegatation up that has a fairly strong smell and rub it on you and your clothing. Use that to hide your odor. Don't over do it.

Stalk into the wind. and last but not least, absolutely refrain from talking.

Don't panic if you accidently make a loud noise, such as, stepping on a stick and hearing a loud snap. The woods are filled with noises. It just can't be too loud or sound out of place.

When you walk, take two or three slow steps, and pause for a while. Search the woods ahead of you during the pauses. If you are in a hurry, don't even think about stalking.

Watch where your shadow is located, it can give you away. (you may be hid but your shadow is moving along the ground in plain sight.)

Just remember, animals are very wary and often have excellent senses of smell, vision and hearing. But conversely, they do not have supernatural powers and can be walked up on fairly easily at time. Also, they are generally either eating or looking for food, so they have things on their minds just like us.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
there were a couple of lads walking about the wilderness gathering this weekend wearing gillies. Unfortunately for them the (20+) folk around my stall had just been talking about bondage gear and thought that they were sporting the latest line in Bushcraft Gimp Suits! :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Gillie suits are great like already said for stalking people, but wildlife stalking you can get away with the modern camo patterns as long as your movement is slow and steady!

If you sit dressed in just dark natural colours [not all black] with your back against a tree in the shadows it never amazes me just how much wildlife you see just coming to you.

I stalk small game regularly and I find if my hands and face are covered even if the quarry sees you, it buys you that extra time needed.

Saying that though my friend who has alot of experience with gilliesuits, [and there is someone else in this category in this forum poss more I think] who says the gilliesuit is the premier portable hide! He often uses his for things that are easily spooked / clever, like corvids.

I too like the idea of a Gillie cape to go a stalking in, but is it necessary probable not!

As long as you go slow, go quiet and don't wear anything that obviously doesn't belong in the outdoors you'll be fine!

I still want one though too!! :D :D :rolleyes:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Most animals are colour blind in the red/green spectrum, avoid wearing anything blue they can see it a mile off.
I'm pretty sure this is why dairy farmers wear blue boiler suits, so cattle can see them.

You could probably wear a loud Hawaiian shirt with the same effect as a ghillie suit.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Ghillie suits are great for static observation but are hot, cumbersome and snag when moving about. So getting one is more for the coolness factor of having one than actually aiding your stalking/tracking.
Based on this, I say you have NOT gone too far.

leon-1

Ghillie suits are totally unneccesary for stalking animals.

You don't really need cammo gear either, just loose fitting clothing that creates it's own shadows in the natural folds of the material.

You can use solid colours in what you would class as being the "mid tones", but you don't need to use olive green you can use shades of red, brown, green and many others as well.

People use Olive Drab (OD) / Olive Green (OG) because it is a mid tone that people also have problems seeing when employed correctly, hence it being used by the military in the same way as we used to use Khaki.

Most DPM has the problem of actually being too dark, there are exceptions to the rule like AusCam that are in service, but they are quite difficult to get hold of unless you know someone in Australia.

The Old Denison smocks with a DPM pattern that looked like it had been painted with a 6 inch paintbrush is more effective than many.

Take a jacket that is made from 2 contrasting mid tones, one lighter, the other darker. To many animals you would be damned nigh invisible.

Movement on the other hand is a bigger problem as sharp or sudden movements catch the eye of both predator and prey.

I made a ghillie suit in the 80's way before they became fashionable among wannabe snipers and walts. The only reason I wanted a ghillie suit was to remain very well hidden from Human eyes AND as a mobile hide for static use.

What were my reasons, well before the access law was changed up here in Scotland we couldn't walk about anywhere without being chased off. Largely, landowners tollerated folk but in some estates it was "get orf my land.. BANG" scenario. So I wanted to explore without being seen and to be able to use it as a static wildlife hide.

It worked a treat but for tracking animals as everyone has said before you have goen too far!

relfy

Nomad
Why not get a Ninja suit instead? People said there were a few at the bushmoot, but I saw not one the whole time I was there - definitely the way to not be seen...
(And anyway, I now think that all men should have at least one ninja suit.. they were rather nice... the one's I didn't see I mean :D )

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'd consider a ghillie but as woodsmoke says it would be a mobile hide. popping wood pidgeon and whatnot with an air rifle there's no need to setup a hide as your wearing it.
i'd get one of those flame retardant treated ones tho otherwise you can go up like a roman candle.

couple of the lads who airsoft have em and they work well there, but then its agains hoomanz not animals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE