Getting into horses hoof fungus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
After weeks of looking I finally found a horses hoof fungus however I can't get it off the tree never mind into it.

I tried chopping the wood out of the back off it but hit it by accident and shattered the flint on my axe, I tried driving an antler wedge into it but that cracked insted of the fungi. True caveman behaviour arose and I tried to smash it with a rock tied on the end of a pole again it didn't work.

How do you get into it?

Instead of having some nice amadou to play with I now have to make a new axe head and a wedge ahhh!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wonder if throwing it quickly in and out of a nice hot fire top shell down would help? May be it would make it more brittle..
The best way was i have found is using every cutting tool to you have to hand, axe, saw, knife, swearing. All whilst trying to not lose a fingertip.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Once off I use a fine cheese grater works brilliantly. A rasp though cuts in to much and jams. And a file is to slow. A small flint cutting blade, such as you'd use for for skinner works well enough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To get the crispy shell off you mean ?
Carve the edge rim off and that lets you in at the amadou layer and then just follow it up. A wee sharp knife (or flint, or chert, tried that just to prove I could do it :)) takes it off bit by bit. Also lets you get into the creases quite neatly.

The other way, and it's effective too if the fomes is a good sized one, is to carve out the spore tube bits first. That kind of lets you lay the curved amadou shell down flattish and again the crispy stuff comes off bit by bit.

That outer layer is the weatherproof layer, so it's as tough as old boots :sigh: I find doing them when they're fresh and sodden wet is easiest.

cheers,
Toddy........who strips out at least 2 dozen of them a year.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
One quick question: Is Horse Hoof fungus the same as Fomes Fomentarius? Which in the documentation I got is refered to as True Tinder Polypore or Surgeon's Fungus (Kunskkjuke in Norwegian.)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Hmm.... Strange...

Edit: Well. A bit of research told me that english and norwegian "tinder fungus" is not the same.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Three main fungus grow on the Birch here.

Fomes fomentarius,
Piptoporus betulinus,
Inonotus obliquus.

First is the devil's hoofnail,
Second is razorstrop (and you can peel plasters of it to cover wounds)
Third one is Chagga, the true tinder fungus.

Does this help any ?

cheers,
M

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Yes, got it now.
I knew chaga could be used as tinder, but its midical properties is far more valuable than its tinder quality (IMHO) (but most places I look, the Chaga is refered to as Clinker Polypore in english?)
It is the Fomes fomentarius that is named "tinder fungus" in Norway (Knuskkjuke in norwegian), and in my opinion the amadou in is far better for tinder than the chaga is.
The Piptoporus betulinus is called "Knife fungus" (Knivkjuke) here. Shoemakers and woodworkers often stored their awles and smal kives in this fungus, thus the name.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting :)
Chagga is apparantly now used as an anti-cancer tea, but we find it makes brilliant spark catching tinder.

Fishermen use the prepared amadou from the Fomes to keep their hooks from rusting and to dry off their flies.

P. betulinus is used to hone blades, but it's medicinal too. It burns but not as well as the other two, but like fomes it can be used to carry fire. Takes about an hour to burn out I find :)

cheers,
M

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
The anti-cancer properties of the chaga is well documented. In Norway Chaga products are classified as medicine, and can not be traded freely.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Thanks for the help folks, ,took all 220lbs of me to break it off the tree.

I've also seen some suspiciously comes looking fungi growing on beech.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I got a new one today and its got me confuses, I removed theupper shell to reveal what I think is the bit in after but its an inch thick, is this the stuff I want?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes you can be very lucky :D

I quite often find it that thick. It's a pain to slice it up when it is though. I usually lay it down like an outside slice of bread and slice it along it's length that way.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE