Genuine Swedish Army Stainless Steel Trangia Cookset With Burner lighting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I have just got one of these Genuine Swedish Army Stainless Steel Trangia Cookset With Burner, may seem a silly question , BUT, how do you light yours?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I dip a twig into the meths, light the twig then light the meths. If the fuel is cold, you can keep redipping the twig in alcohol til its lit the fuel in the burner.

Solway Marauder

Feb 7, 2012
Cumbria, England
(Hi all this is my first post iv just joined today)

I light a small piece of cloth or paper and drop it in, I have uesd too much paper a couple of times and it causes loads of flame and doesnt burn away, it probably uses loads of fuel so be careful with that.
Iv just ordered an exotac candle tin to replace my meths burner (wont leak into kit) its just an experiment so ill let u know how it works out.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
Cheers chaps :), i have just tyred 1/2 a box of matches to light it lol and found it lit on a single strike of the fire starter pro lol
Just boiled 1 pint of water (no lid) in under 10 minutes

Do you have a lid? or what do you use for a lid?
I guess that the two hooks on handle of pan is for use with a stick for over the fire?
and again I guess you can use this on the fire?
any one got any tips or likes for this in action?
thanks all

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i hold a lit match between my teeth for lighting it because i fear nought

ferro rod or paper works fine in reality. if i acually had my head anywhere near it i reckon one of my locks would get soaked without me realising. disaster waiting tae happen!

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
i hold a lit match between my teeth for lighting it because i fear nought

ferro rod or paper works fine in reality. if i acually had my head anywhere near it i reckon one of my locks would get soaked without me realising. disaster waiting tae happen!

LOL, you feeling better now budddy?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Kepis has a great thread showing his in action ( ooh..Errr ! ) somewhere, i'm sure someone can find it and put up a link fot you. It's very informative.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Cheers chaps :), i have just tyred 1/2 a box of matches to light it lol and found it lit on a single strike of the fire starter pro lol
Just boiled 1 pint of water (no lid) in under 10 minutes

Do you have a lid? or what do you use for a lid?
I guess that the two hooks on handle of pan is for use with a stick for over the fire?
and again I guess you can use this on the fire?
any one got any tips or likes for this in action?
thanks all

In the cold, I roll up a small piece of tissue, dip in meths and lay around the outside of the burner on the lip thingie. Light that, and the burner will soon be bubbling away merrily. Guaranteed down to -20c:) (in really cold weather, insulate it from the icy ground with something - bit of wood, silicone tray from kitchen, carbon felt etc. Also helps if you keep the burner and fuel in your pocket to keep it warm!)

As for how to use it, check out youtube - lots of good ideas there. It's the most versatile set out there in my opinion - certainly for the price - billy over log fire, oven in the open fire coals, use lid as cup, use windshield as wood-burner - the list is endless. Worth getting a simmer ring for it - the tatonka simmer ring fit the military burner well I believe - I just use the civy trangia simmer ring - not a perfect fit but does the job.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I have a piece of stoverope stuck to the the outside burner. Soak in a little meths. Then ferro for rope and the well in the burner. Helps with the prime when cold.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Solway Marauder1040872 said:
(Hi all this is my first post iv just joined today)

I light a small piece of cloth or paper and drop it in, I have uesd too much paper a couple of times and it causes loads of flame and doesnt burn away, it probably uses loads of fuel so be careful with that.
Iv just ordered an exotac candle tin to replace my meths burner (wont leak into kit) its just an experiment so ill let u know how it works out.

Sorry chaps I don't use a burner, I just wanted to welcome this new member to the forum....
:welcome1:to the forum dude.

Solway Marauder

Feb 7, 2012
Cumbria, England
Hi All

(Thanx for the warm welcome Timberwolf I appreciate it.)

If anyone is interested Iv tested my exotac candle tin in my Trangia, its quite good. No where near as hot as meths burner but I didnt need to test it to know that (its a candle).
Its no good if you were looking to boil litres of water as it takes too long, I boiled a litre and it toulk about 50 mins. however its great for heating up a tin of soup or making a quick cuppa.
Very handy to have with you as a back-up though as it will do the job it gives off lots of light and comes in protective tin. GOOD KIT
(First time putting pics on so if it works check em out)
447.JPG

444.JPG

449.JPG

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Lid: turn the smaller pan upside down! Oh, and keep your fuel warm on a cold day. I keep mine in the pastic flask that comes with the set in an inside pocket.

That's quite a lot of fuel, about 275ml, to carry in a pocket. I would worry about it spilling and catching fire. I suppose I worry a lot, somebody once told me that when I worried about paper clips getting into his computer and causing damage. He was doing something spectacularly stupid with paper clips and a computer at the time.

Anyway, back On Topic, I carry a little 30ml bottle (one of the wife's discarded contact lens solution bottles) full of meths in my pocket. That fills the Trangia burner and then I can refill the bottle from the larger one.

The Larger pan of the SA cookset does me a nice meal with 2.5 cans. A can each of peas and carrots, half a can of corned beef, and some cous-cous. One of my all-time favourites.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE