fungus strop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Backyard Bushcraft said:
just been out on a stroll and found some fungas u can use as a strop, do i cut it now while its damp and then dry it?
thanks
Hello Backyard Bushcraft
cut it before it dries out mate that is what i did then i glued it to a length of wood i use polishing compond on it. It works well for getting a good finish on my blade

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
if u let it dry out u can cut it with a fine toothed saw ,gives u a good flat side to glue on to some wood :lmao:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I was advised, but not tried it myself yet, to cut it while still "green" then squeeze in a vice between two bits of wood(laminate floor?)then stick to a board to use.
Seems to make sense :)

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
i fined if i cut it into rough blox then let it dry out .when it's dry i use a very fine toothed saw to cut it to finished size.gives you nice square edges.be carefull where you store it as it tends to get grubs in it ,will end up like swiss chees.
here's a pic of one i made 8 years ago. :D
DSCN0087.jpg

[/IMG]
DSCN0086.jpg

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Goose said:
I was advised, but not tried it myself yet, to cut it while still "green" then squeeze in a vice between two bits of wood(laminate floor?)then stick to a board to use.
Seems to make sense :)
sounds like good sense to me mate im gunna try that this weekend cheers :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE