Fun with atl-atl's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
Thanks for the tremendous images. I have 2 reindeer antler crowns ready (one as a backup!) but before putting tool to antler, wanted to ensure that I had sufficient detail. It was one of those things where I could not re-find the orignal images I saw which inspired me to start with. Now I have them a-plenty.

As to the event, no. Have you got a link?

When I get it finished, I will post a piccy.

Cheers

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Made my first atlatl. Willow wands with gaffa tape fletchings (cheers Nyayo). I wrapped wire around the ends to provide the mass. Construction time say 20 mins - even with my shoddy efforts they go a great distance! I am amazed at how accurate it is, and how much range it has. I'm looking forward to making a more refined version.

CIMG0722-1.jpg

Incidently, if anybody has any ideas for better fletchings or masses then I'd be glad to give them a go.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
here's the ;link for the event

http://www.spearthroweruk.net/events.aspx

PM me for further info or if you'd like to come and practice a few ISACs(it's muich harder than it seems) one weekend.
fletching ideas I posted something about making darts which had two whole length feathers as fletchings. I've also used 1 feather and squirrel tails. Rich 59 used pieces of cloth tied to the ends of the darts.
mass at the end. You could try an archery point. Antler and wood are what I use but they take a while to make. If the dart is natural you could just use the natural taper of the shaft to weight the end, point and fire harden . I throw 7' pine dowels with no points at all and they work absolutely fine (they are well fletched with 3 full length helicals however.)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Fletchings are too technical for me at the moment. Gaffer tape is too modern. I tried with leaves and bark tied or glued on a couple of times. It is the wrong time of year to collect some feathers from the local butcher.

But I rapidly found that just tying a bit of cloth to the back end with a little string was all I needed to slow the back end down a bit and steady the flight.

Also I practice a lot without any fletchings or cloth at all. It helps the technique to be able to throw it true without any.
I am also getting OK at straightening cane with a little heat.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
I'm still tweaking the atlatl in the picture - have thinned it down so the hook end is smaller (and thus faster) and made the shaft thinner (and slightly flexible). Heavy darts now going 60m plus, and lighter darts further. Someone was asking what the thongs are for. Here's a picture (and a handy shot of the plastic fletchings - I would prefer feather, put can't get hold of any at the mo.)
DSCF1202.jpg

This is the so-called 'split finger grip' and shows how you use the leather things to hold the thrower steady, and prevent it from flying out of your hand at the same time as the dart! I hope for more testing this week (Easter holz).

N

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
it's great fun throwing the darts as far as possible just don;t forget to practice throwing the thing accurately. I like the look of the atlatl grip your dart looks really thick you must have strong arms to get it out 60m.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE