Full-tang Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I think it will flop - too much competition from the likes of Enzo, Esee, Falkniven etc near that price point. After all its basically a companion with a bit more steel in the handle.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
You never know: the handle might actually work pretty well. it's not particularly pretty but it gives the impression of being a perfectly functional tool. I suppose anyone wishing to rehandle it could look at the Helle Temagami which is 'full tang' but has a sort of wrap-around handle. At least they haven't done anything too idiotic to the shape of the blade and 3.2mm is an ideal thickness for most bushcrafty jobs.

If it comes in to the U.K. at about £70 or so, it might be worth a pop. After all, everyone recommends Mora knives as functional cutting tools and there is no reason to suppose that this is any different.

I wonder when it'll be available to us here in the U.K.?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I like the look of it. Apart from a monster skrama, Mora's are my goto users. The 2000 is a great knife, and this will easily find a place next to it in my kit. I'll change the handle/sheath though. It's probably comfy, ergonomic etc, but natural materials feel better, for me anyway.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I like the look of it. Apart from a monster skrama, Mora's are my goto users. The 2000 is a great knife, and this will easily find a place next to it in my kit. I'll change the handle/sheath though. It's probably comfy, ergonomic etc, but natural materials feel better, for me anyway.

What would be your rehandle plan?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I've not done many, a 2000 and the skrama from Varusteleka. So I'm no expert. I'm open to suggestions from others more experienced to be honest. But I like to tinker, and there is always the next new project just around the corner. ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've not done many, a 2000 and the skrama from Varusteleka. So I'm no expert. I'm open to suggestions from others more experienced to be honest. But I like to tinker, and there is always the next new project just around the corner. ;)

Well, based on the tang being very similar in set-up to the F1, tackling it like this would be a good plan:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?92228-CF-Orange-G10-Modded-F1-(Pic-Heavy)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

that seems an expensive way to get a (less than ideal) blade blank.....mark hill will do you one of his designs for about £60

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
that seems an expensive way to get a (less than ideal) blade blank.....mark hill will do you one of his designs for about £60
I see your logic. I'm hoping it will be cheaper once nobody buys them. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I can see how the the initial costs of design, development and production could drive the price up, but in the long run, I don't see much difference in production methods and style than other similar moras. Poly handle, same steel, production line assembly. It doesn't look to me like the bevels are polished. I can't blame them for wanting to recoup the startup costs but my limit for a knife like this would be around $40-$45. If I paid more, it would be just to have one for the sake of having one. Maybe the new style sheath ups the price. I dunno without actually handling the sheath.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I thought the whole point of Mora was to produce mass-production economy knives that performed well in the field?

$100 isn't an economy knife... and frankly I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a knife that looks like it was designed to go along with an Action Man toy.

I'll stick with my companion for the foreseeable... its cheap and it works.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If they made a normal full tang blade the exact same dimes ions as a no. 2, in the laninate steel, with nice timber scales (maybe a bit of walnut or curly birch) riveted on and a traditional scandi sheath they'd have us lot lined up to buy them.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If they made a normal full tang blade the exact same dimes ions as a no. 2, in the laninate steel, with nice timber scales (maybe a bit of walnut or curly birch) riveted on and a traditional scandi sheath they'd have us lot lined up to buy them.

You bet!
Or a nice carbon one....

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
$100 rrp means atleast £60 once it hits our shores. And with that likely being the case.. I'ma say no thanks.

Considering I'd just saw off that handle material anyway, it's a plain waste of money unless you are going to use it as is. Maybe the americans will love it, but not for me at that price or that type of fugly handle. No sir.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Do you have any pictures of your modified Skrama. I love mine as it is but keep thinking about a another for a project.
Not as such. I've finished the handle in spalted birch, and currently I'm faffing around with a part ash, part leather sheath. I guess I'll post pictures when it's done. Great tool isn't it. Absolutely love using it.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I thought the whole point of Mora was to produce mass-production economy knives that performed well in the field?

$100 isn't an economy knife... and frankly I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a knife that looks like it was designed to go along with an Action Man toy.

I'll stick with my companion for the foreseeable... its cheap and it works.

At that price its a no from me. I will also be sticking with my Carbon Companion .
I don't understand why they have gone for the tactical look. If they put some nice wood scales on it with a nice leather sheath then maybe id be willing to pay the £70ish that it will work out as in pounds But there is no way its worth what they are asking. I will stick with the cheap mora's for now. They work great and do everything that I ask of it.
I would like a nicer knife but I want be buying this. I will save up a get something worth the price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE