Frost Mora question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Hi guys,

I was downtown with my Dad today browsing through an outdoor store, and my eye caught onto a Frost's Mora knife, for the princely sum of $12.95.

Now, I've heard (and read) many good things about Mora knives, so here is my question:

The one I saw was the only model in the store, moreover it is the only Mora knife I have yet to find in my city.

It's a 4-inch blade, with an olive-green plastic (rubber?) handle, and olive-green sheath.

Does anyone have any particulars about this model? It's quite definately stainless, but how hard is the Mora green version? Is it a laminated steel model?

Is it a good knife to purchase, or not?

If I do purchase it, would it be a good idea to put another handle on it?

Any advice on sharpening a Skandinavian grind?

Cheers,

A.

Aug 5, 2005
Was it this one?

760mg.jpg

If so that's the 760, I have the Swedish Military issue version in camoflage, great little knife, good size, great handle a real worker!

M

Millbilly

Having used the one pictured above and the clipper model (in various steels) ive found them to be pretty good knives, for most outdoor uses. Ive never needed to re-handle one, (dont know if i could :confused: ) and think the handles are just fine, unless you want to re-handle it for aesthetic reasons. The sheaths can be a bit loose, but you can allways make your own, or try here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mora-Leather-...236738797QQcategoryZ16042QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think most people end up owning a Mora or two, as theyre hard to beat for the price.

Happy shopping! :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yeah, that's the one.

Should I get it? What do you guys think? How good is the edge retention of Sandvik 12C27 steel?

I've sworn by my Victorinox for as long as I can remember, I love it to death, but sometimes I wish I had something a little bigger!

A.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Addy, your own Mors Kochanski uses moras. They are a fantastic knife for the money. Many outdoor/survival schools use them as inexpensive training knives and then find many students go on with them and pass on $200 custom jobs. Think of all the gear you can buy with the money not spent while learning knifecraft and sharpening. You can go crazy playing the knife steel game. There are countless fine steels with particular qualities. Scandi steels have long been known as good performers.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Millbilly said:
Having used the one pictured above and the clipper model (in various steels) ive found them to be pretty good knives, for most outdoor uses. Ive never needed to re-handle one, (dont know if i could :confused: ) and think the handles are just fine, unless you want to re-handle it for aesthetic reasons. The sheaths can be a bit loose, but you can allways make your own, or try here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mora-Leather-...236738797QQcategoryZ16042QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think most people end up owning a Mora or two, as theyre hard to beat for the price.

Happy shopping! :D
The sheath in that link is for a clipper, there are some differences so be careful in case it doesn't fit!

Aug 5, 2005
Goose said:
The sheath in that link is for a clipper, there are some differences so be careful in case it doesn't fit!

The sheath in the picture came with that knife and fits it perfect, right or left handed carry, I think your confusing it with the clipper series sheath shown here.

840.jpg

leon-1

Bear Claw Chris Lappe said:
The sheath in the picture came with that knife and fits it perfect, right or left handed carry, I think your confusing it with the clipper series sheath shown here.

840.jpg

I think what goose was getting at was that the sheath in the picture on ebay was for the clipper model of knife not the 760 and as such may not fit as well (due to the gaurd being larger on the 760).

It is reasonably easy to make your own sheath for this style of knife if you become disheartened by the sheath that comes with it.

As far as the knife goes you will not find better for the money that you pay for them in general, they are definitely a knife that you can use and abuse (prefferably not the latter).:)

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Just to let you all know, I bought the leather sheath on ebay and did'nt realise that the piccie was showing a clipper when I have a plastic handled mora. I now can confirm that the plastic handled mora does fit sheath in question :D

If the attachment works, you will see a piccie of it. :) sorry bout the quality :eek:

Attachments

• knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 107
Aug 5, 2005
leon-1 said:
I think what goose was getting at was that the sheath in the picture on ebay was for the clipper model of knife not the 760 and as such may not fit as well (due to the gaurd being larger on the 760).

Your right, I missed the ebay link and thought we were still talking about the original picture, sorry Goose! Gonna go get my eyes checked! :D

Aug 5, 2005
This little beauty arrived in the mail today from www.ragweedforge.com, I recently read "Bushcraft" my Mors Kochanski, and it's the basic #1 model he recommends so I had to check it out, seem like a great user, nothing fancy but solid.

1.jpg

PS, for the left-handers like me, the sheath for this one is fully ambidextrous, a little added plus!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE